Thread: to apply vinyl

Question to apply vinyl

I have applied a couple of pieces of vinl to glass and seem to do o.k.
    But if I take a larger job is there a way to eliminate the bubbles that form?

I am trying to apply these one-handed. Any insight to ease of opperation or helpful hints would be great.
    Jack Halley

30w Pinnacle M, 30w Accuris Powersharp 12, Vinyl Express Q75

1. Good squeegie, any nicks in it or a worn spot on it will leave a row of bubbles

2. Use the hinge method so you apply a part at a time. Tape across the top and cut between letters. One at a time lift a section, peel the backing and apply top down. If it's a solid graphic that cannot be cut then use a vertical hinge in the middle.

I do everything dry, but some people like to use soapy water or application fluid. The problem is that it has to all be squeezed out or it will bubble with big bubbles.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Doing it one handed, as you said, you might be best to apply the "hinge" at the bottom and you press them up, having gravity help you there.

Little tiny bubbles will come out once it heats and cools a couple of times, larger bubbles, some come out, some don't, and you can puncture them and squeegee over them once punctured to get them to stick.

I used to do everything "Wet" with Application Fluid, but as I get better, I find myself rarely using it now, but it might be a place for you to start. With Application Fluid (RapidTac is one name brand), you can put it down, move it around and then get it set in place. If you use it, you HAVE to follow the directions EXACTLY or you'll have problems. If it says do it twice, it means do it twice, if it says wait 2 minutes, it means wait 2 minutes (at least).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I agree that dry is the best way but it takes practice - applying enough pressure is sometimes a problem. Dont be afraid to get rough with it.

If its hot and dry out you may be getting static issues and getting it wet is often the answer. Sometimes I will just wipe the surface with a damp clean rag just to cool it off and kill the static but still use the hinge method.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate all the help I can get.
    Would you guy's still pick Copam today?
    Jack Halley

30w Pinnacle M, 30w Accuris Powersharp 12, Vinyl Express Q75