Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: quilted mahogany table

Stunning wood, stunning story, and stunningly remarkable justice done to that stunning wood....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

2. Hold your price!! This is not a “just” a table. There is someone out there who will appreciate the wood for what it is and will gladly pay $70K. But then again you need to find that rare combination. Someone who appreciates the wood, has a place for such a table, and has $70K to spend on a table. But he’s out there. If you are serious about selling it, I would suggest engaging high end interior designers. They will have the connections to market this. Furniture dealers even high end, might appreciate the work, but they may not have the connections to market the beauty and history of the wood.

That’s my nickels worth anyway. Spectacular Table

I've worked on a house that was largely decorated by Peter Marino of NY. He charged the owner over $300k for a fireplace mantle that I installed. Granted, it is an antique from India reported to be 400 years old, made out of an extinct wood (the tests they put a sample through matched nothing).

I'm sure Peter Marino's buyers didn't pay half that for it, but what I'm saying is that $100k plus is not out of the question for an exquisite piece like yours if you can connect to the right market, if you still have it.

Here's a link to Peter's site:

http://www.petermarinoarchitect.com/index_flash.html

Here's a link to a page that has a photo of me with the mantle (bottom right):

http://solidrockconstruction.com/specialty/index.html

I love your table and it's story--it deserves to be cherished.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Schoolland; 01-25-2009 at 2:03 PM.

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Just beautiful.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    STUNNING, TO SAY THE LEAST

wow wow wow wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooowwwww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow indeed!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Update?

I wonder if Edward has an update for us? Has this table been sold? Price?
    Absolutley fantastic work on this table, sheer magnificance and the story of the tree is amazing too.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

I have to ask

Edward,
    what did that board cost, i"ve heard that wood from "The Tree" was running up around $200 Bdft - if you could find anyone that would part with it.

If you read the whole thread, he says earlier on, $10000 for one board, and another $20000 for the rest of it. Scroll back a page or 2.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

"jason scott asked what i plan to ask for this table-that's being debated now-the board itself is worth $30000 -according to the only person i know who has the biggest stash ( over a dozen boards) of this wood the price he puts on it is $600 a bd ft-so i don't know- you guys tell me what you think-over $50000 for sure -but will the person that pays 50 pay 75 -give me some help here- i have to put a price on it by oct."
    Edward - A couple of suggestions on marketing this table. Firstly, don't sell it for $70k. While most anyone you meet at on-line woodworking forums and at a woodworking show are probably going to have a major heart attack when they look at the price tag, that's obviously not your market. This is a Bill Gates type of thing, or perhaps a Bill Cosby piece (he's known to be a spendy collector of early american antiques).

What I'd say is that based on your description of the wood, you will have exactly one opportunity to sell a table like this, and the story of the tree and what it was made into heavily factors into the marketability.

Therefore, you need a venue where that story can be publicized and can be read by wealthy individuals. Because it's unique and highly desirable, it becomes a status symbol for the eventual owner - much as a George Nakashima table is. My suggestion is that you may wish to contact one of the major auction houses about this table - like Sotheby's or Christie's. Even if they don't want to handle it for you (and I'm betting they will - it would go into a "contemporary art" auction), they will likely set you up with another major auction house that specializes in pieces like this. Moreover, it may well be that the auction house director can set you up with some specialized contacts that can correctly market such a table in the case that you don't want to auction it.

Finally, while what I suggested above is quite a bit of legwork, it might really pay off. Some of the individuals on the list might not want the table out of style considerations (i.e., it's not their "thing"), but would badly want to commission a piece from you made from the same wood that is in a style that's their "thing".

I'll have to say that's one of the more spectacular pieces of mahogany I've ever seen - and I've got my share of quilted, curly and "plum pudding" mahogany.

Now that is a TEXAS sized table !!!!!

Did you get it in the 2008 Texas Makers Furniture show?
    If so, how did you do with it ??

Or is it scheaduled for the 2009 show ?

Thanks for posting

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

thanks Ryan, totally missed it as I was skimming through the replys.