Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet Stove Advice

Greg,
    Another option is a coal stove. Some of the modern coal stoves are multi fuel units so you can maybe do a little searching in that direction. Most folks have forgotten about coal because it isn't as visible as it once was. As a child many of the homes in the area of Michigan where I lived had coal bins and coal fired boilers. I don't know how the modern cost of coal compares to other energy sources but it is worth checking.
    David B

Keith,
    I had a friend look at the biobricks and he bought a few ton 2 winters ago. The first thing he said was that the comparison the companies use between 1 cord of wood and how many bio bricks is hogwash. He said that he used a lot more biobricks than they said to get the same heat as a cord of wood. He also said that they created a lot more ash and it was more work to keep his stove clean. Maybe it was just those biobricks but that is what he said.

David,
    Coal is an interesting prospect although I am trying to find something for my living room and have it be clean and easy..so wood pellets fit the bill right now. Not sure I would even consider a regular wood stove for the living room. Guess that I should really put everything onto the table and then make a decision.

Greg

Hi Greg, I have no wisdom regarding pellet stoves to give you.

I suggest that you check with the agency having jurisdiction in your area (building and fire code), as well as with your fire insurance company.

Where I live, the insurance company will adjust your premium, and require an inspection for the replacement, installation or modification of a pellet or wood stove.

Regards, Rod.