Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way off topic: DirecTV

Angry Way off topic: DirecTV

I told them I would spread the word so I am.

My dad was recently moved with very short notice into an assisted care facility. Prior to the move he had signed up for a 2 year contract with DirectTV. The assisted care facility would not allow him to have the satellite dish. DirecTV would only cancel for a $187 "disconnect fee".

So, trying to avoid that and since I've been wanting satellite TV over the sucky cable we get here I had them move the service to my house. Unfortunately 2 different installers said that it was impossible to run the cables to where our HDTV is (bottom floor of a two story, no crawl space access (DirecTV won't do crawl space installs anyway) and no outside wall.

DirecTV's response? "Move the TV" or "Pay the $187" or "You can't run the cables along the floor from the other room?".

I understand the contract but when the other party tries to abide by it and physically can't due to no fault of their own a good company makes allowances. Not DirecTV. We're being forced to pay the $187 and I'm spreading the word.

Make your own judgements. I've made mine!!
    GK

I sympathize with the situation, but I do have a workaround.

Place some little TV in a spot that they will wire to, have them do their thing, then buy some cable and run it wherever and however you want. I had that same type of situation in an apartment. They said they could wire to the living room, but couldn't wire any other rooms because they weren't allowed to cut holes in an apartment. I told them I'm a video freak so wire up all four receivers in my living room. I tipped the installer a few bucks and he made my cables long enough that I could route them where they needed to go. I used some white plastic cable channels from the local borg to carry the cables around the ceiling and down the hall...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    I told them I would spread the word so I am.

My dad was recently moved with very short notice into an assisted care facility. Prior to the move he had signed up for a 2 year contract with DirectTV. The assisted care facility would not allow him to have the satellite dish. DirecTV would only cancel for a $187 "disconnect fee".

So, trying to avoid that and since I've been wanting satellite TV over the sucky cable we get here I had them move the service to my house. Unfortunately 2 different installers said that it was impossible to run the cables to where our HDTV is (bottom floor of a two story, no crawl space access (DirecTV won't do crawl space installs anyway) and no outside wall.

DirecTV's response? "Move the TV" or "Pay the $187" or "You can't run the cables along the floor from the other room?".

I understand the contract but when the other party tries to abide by it and physically can't due to no fault of their own a good company makes allowances. Not DirecTV. We're being forced to pay the $187 and I'm spreading the word.

Make your own judgements. I've made mine!!
    GK

He could definitely put wires in a random place that we could then run along the floor. But that doesn't fit in our house. If the cables are run properly I'm not interested.

And it really sucks because for the DVRs they have to run TWO cables, one for each tuner. The fact that all their competition runs one cable and then replicates the signal internal to the DVR is much too advanced for them. They require two cables. 3 TVs. That means 6 cables running down the outside of my house for the full length of the house.

Oh, AND the lady who scheduled the move said they could mount the dish on the chimney rather than drilling holes in my new roof. But the installer said they can't do that with the HD dish. GRRR.

They were just screwed up from the get go. And now they are screwing my dad.

GK

Ask them to suspend the service for awhile. I think you can do that and maybe you forget to get it restored.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

If you haven't already done so, ask to speak with a supervisor in the customer retention department. In my experience, they seem to go out of their way to please a loyal customer. Particularly given the "assisted living" angle.

Can't they bury the cables? Or just run them where your current cables are run now? I'm surprised they can't accommodate you...yeah they get your $187, but they then lose your $80 per month cable charge.

Worth asking but after the way the last call went I doubt anyone will talk to me. I lost it dealing with their thick-headedness.

GK

Tim, for one TV they could run the cables where the existing ones are now. But for the other two they would need to run two new cables each. And they "can't use the existing cable because it has been split inside the house somewhere" so that means all new cables. But the primary TV, the big screen HD TV in the living room is the one they can't get to. She even had the gall to suggest I use DirecTV on the one they can get to and continue paying for cable for the other ones. Now THAT would be cost effective.

Danny, that is who I was talking to at the end. They all had the same mantra "I'm sorry your dad is in assisted care, I'm sorry our service can't work for you, but we have the contract you must pay".

All true. But not good for customer satisfaction and not good for business. With how thoroughly the world is connected now there are already up to 11,000 people who will be able to know about this just from the few lists I'm on. And I haven't even sent out emails yet. So not only have they lost my business they have potentially lost tons more. All for $187. I don't get it.

*sigh*
    GK

If there's a splitter somewhere then I can see why they couldn't reuse it if that splitter is buried in a wall somewhere or something like that. I believe the frequency that those splitters will pass is lower than what the signal from the antenna runs at. I doubt Dish would be able to use it either. And if the wall is inaccessible, then its inaccessible and short of cutting into walls and ceilings and/or hiring a more talented installer, which wouldn't be part of their standard installation, there's not much that can be done.

But I would call and ask to speak to customer retention regarding the fee. It does seem like there are extenuating circumstances and I would explain that you tried to help them out by transferring the service but that they said the installation is impossible. Tell them that unfortunately their customer (your dad, not you) can no longer use the service and with the costs of his new living circumstances you just really aren't sure when there will be money to pay them. Offer to pay them $5/mo in the mean time and see what they say.

We dropped DirecTV about 2 years ago now. They kept raising their rates and there was nothing really on that we liked very often. We were a 14 year customer with them. Now we're saving that money every month and the entire family is much better off without DirecTV.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This doesn't help your situation but

Greg, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the knotheads. I don't know about other providers but when you buy a HD receiver or HD DVR from Directv, you only think you're buying it; you're really only leasing it. There's no lease fee beyond the montly HD charge but you can't sell the HD receivers or DVR's, you have to return it to Directv. I'm not sure why they made that change.

you don't need 2 cables to a DVR. You need 2 cables IF you want to watch one show and record another at the same time. I was using existing RG59 cable that was installed in the house in 1995 for years. Worked fine for standard def Directv. The run lengths would not work for High Def. I was able to reroute the RG6 from the dish and connected it to probably a 20' run of RG59 in the wall. That transmits High Def signals just fine. It's apparently a function of cable quality (RG6 is better than RG59) and length. I was able to shorten the run about 50'-60' and that was enough.

HTH

Curt

Blog Entries
    Run the cabling yourself. You can buy the proper cable at any electrical supplier. That's what I did. I installed our entire system and it has worked just fine for over 10 years. You can even mount and align your own antenna with the help of a friend watching the signal strength as you align the dish. It sounds like the local installer is the problem. They don't want to invest the time needed for complex installations when they only get paid a flat rate from Direct TV.

Chimney mounts are not a good way to go. It puts stress on the masonry and if the chimney hasn't been maintained since it was built, it could fail. Then you or the apartment owner would expect the Direct TV folks to pay for the repairs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My inlaws had Direct TV and wanted to upgrade to HD DVR. It would have cost them close to $300. The broke their contract and paid the fee, but Direct TV kept calling and harassing them. She finally had to file a complaint with the FCC to get them to stop. The local cable company is not much better, but at least you don't pay an arm and a leg for the equipment like you do with direct TV.

Try calling your congressman or something. I bet they let servicemen out of the contract when they have to ship off. I'm sure there is some clause that they will let him out, you just have to find it because they won't tell you about it.

Hi Greg. When we moved into our new home, I called the "Dish mover" to install the new dish for our Dish Network system. When they arrived they only wanted to mount it on the south garage wall. I told them that was not going to happen in my lifetime. I told them that I wanted it on the chimney, they wouldn't do that so I told them to hit the road.

My answer was to buy a new dish antenna and install it myself. I had pre wired the house when built so I had several RG6 cables in the soffit. I got the entire system running up to pointing the dish. I called a local installer and he came by and aimed the dish in about 10 minutes at a cost of $65. My chimney is a typical Texas wood construction with insulated "stove pipe" to the fireplace. The dish has nicely survived wind gusts in the 60 mph range, and keeps on ticking.

Greg, have an installer put the antenna up, point it using one of your receivers sitting on the porch. When done, pay him and send him on his way leaving the antenna coax dangling. Your job is to then run the *+*&$% cable where you want it. You don't need the antenna connected to a tv to point the dish, the installer will have a signal strength meter to use. He needs the receiver to power the electronics in the antenna.
    Best Regards, Ken

I had something similar with our alarm company. The modum on the alarm quit working and they were unable to fix it. (discontinued model) Said we had to pay the balance of the contract to get out. I whent to the office ,with checkbook in my hand, and asked to see the signed copy of the contract. I will sit right here till you show it to me. They were gone for some time and came back and said "You do not have to pay" They could not find the contract. (Note. I never did sign one, Just made me think I did) My point make them show you the signed contract before paying. They wont take the time to find it and give up.