Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 18" Bandsaw in my future, but which one?

New 18" Bandsaw in my future, but which one?

My wife got a new car, and I finagled a new band saw out of the negotiation. My problem is that I have don't own a band saw and haven't used one in 20 years. I can look at pictures of bandsaws until I am blue in the face, but what should I look for. My main use for the band saw would be resawing and cutting turning blanks. I don't make many curved items. I have determined I would get an 18" band saw, since the wood workers that start out with the 14" seem to upgrade with extreme regularity and it would be better for resawing. None of the nearby stores have any of the 18" band saws set up so I can look at them.

I have sort of settled on one of the asian made bandsaws, since they will be lighter on the wallet. The Jet bandsaws come with a 1.5 or 3 Hp, the Steel City a 2HP, the Rikon a 2.5 HP, and the Grizzly G0514X2 a 3 HP motor. How much does motor size matter? The Rikon, Jet, and Steel City have all had price increases since the beginning of the year, but the Grizzly has not yet. So the Grizzly is the better deal by over $100. Are any of the other band saws significantly better or sturdier to justify paying a premium over the Grizzly?

Thanks,
    Mike

I ended up with the Steel City a year or so ago, but partly because I'm up in Canada and Grizzly refuses to deal with us.

Motor size matters, but I suspect 2HP and up is fine. Even 1.5HP is likely fine but it might mean taking things a bit slower on thick pieces.

Look for a saw that makes it easy to change blades, as you'll likely want to use a different blade for cutting turning blanks than for resawing. The steel city required some modification to the blade guard to allow me to change 3/4" and wider blades without loosening the guard. The Grizzly looks like it has a split guard, which would make this easier.

A foot brake is nice, cast iron trunnions make the table feel more sturdy, and a window to double-check tracking is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    So the Grizzly is the better deal by over $100. Are any of the other band saws significantly better or sturdier to justify paying a premium over the Grizzly?

Thanks,
    Mike
    In a word - No. I have the smaller Grizzly 513x2 and completely satisfied. I think you will see this issue debated in several threads on the creek, with opinions on all sides. Every major tool in my shop is Grizzly, and while there may be better tools, they are by a long shot the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

I have read about lots of happy Grizzly G0514X2 owners. Looks like a great saw!

The SC looked nice at the WW Show as well. Almost bought it.

Never used either though. I bought a used MM from a member here. It is my last BS I will pay for.

Hi Mike,

It all depends on what type of work you are going to be doing in the future. I was in your position about 2 1/2 years ago and I went with the MM-16. It is a bit more expensive, but I got it at a trade show and got a great deal. I was going to get the 18" Grizzly, but I was concerned that I may need the larger resaw power and height (which I did). Plus it has a 5HP motor so I never have to worry about power.

Not meaning to hijack, just trying to make sure you get the right tool for your future needs.

Mike
    "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I also just got the 0513X2 at the same time that a buddy brought home the 0514X2. Mine will do anything I am ever likely to want, but if my shop were somewhat bigger I would have gone for the larger saw. Main reasons: foot brake, rack and pinion table adjust, another 2 inches of table and wheel size (better for carbide blades), and an extra horse under the hood.

All of the grizzlies in a row in the showroom make comparisons easy, so get to one if you can.

Stay away from the J**, my father had the 18" and I wouldn't have taken it for free. You could stall that J** far too easily, more frustrating than productive. My old rockwell 14" blew that thing out of the water with a 1hp motor...
    That Gr***** saws get lots of good reviews, check out Taunton's 2008 tool guide, it is about 14" saws, but look at the resaw times, more money does not always equal faster and better results.

Have fun shopping!
    Jason

Michael-
    I dont think you will go wrong with the Grizzly.
    I have the Rikon 18", I bought a couple of years ago. If I had had the funds at the time I would have bought the MM-16.
    My reason for buying the Rikon over the Grizzly was that Woodcraft store had one in stock. I could touch it, play with and examine it in person.
    See if you can find someone in your area that has the saws you are looking at, and take a close look at it. To me its much better to see in person then in a catalog, especially something important as a bandsaw.
    Now dont get me wrong,I dont have anything against Grizzly. In fact I have a Grizzly 8" jointer, but I did try out a buddies and was happy so I ordered one.
    If I had to buy another bandsaw I would probally save the money till I could get an MM16 or a Laguna. But I woodwork fulltime so I could justify spending the extra bucks.

HTH
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Mike,
    I bought the SC 18" about 2 months ago and am very happy with it. I too was debating between the Rikon, Grizzley and SC. They all appeared good but what convinced me was the local WC has switched to using the SC in their classes. They said they had a Rikon but it got bogged down too easily so they pulled the SC off the floor awhile back and have used it since.
    Good luck,
    Mike

I also got the SC other than the weight and size it was a monster to move I am happy.

Pros:
    Nice berring guides
    Plenty of power
    smooth and solid
    urithan tires and a cleaning brush on them
    cast iron wheels.
    Quick blade tensioner

Cons:
    No resaw fence need higher fence (but most don't come with this)
    no poer off switch on the foot brake
    Quick blade tensioner is on oppsit side that you work on have to reach around saw or walk around to get to it.
    -=Jason=-

Proud owner of a Laguna LT-18 for 7 years. Not a single problem.

Many people are very happy with the Grizzly. It seems to be hard to compete with. Rikon makes a very nice 18 inch saw as well. Another tough to beat saw.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I purchased the Steel City 18" 2 years ago when it first came out after comparisons at IWF in Atlanta. I canceled a deposit on a MM 16 as I felt it was more than needed at that time. I have not regretted that as the 2 HP has never bogged and I am in my shop 6-10 hours a day.

At that time Griz wouldn't compare but they raised the notch a tad since then. But.. I still wouldn't trade. If at all possible you really need to go make a physical comparison and then you can conclude if the extra $100-$200 (whatever) is just more expensive or more expensive for a reason.

Good luck with your purchase whatever it is...

Sarge..

Just to throw in another option, Jet is introducing a new line of bandsaws, the 18" is available now. The major change on them being a triangular column, which they say makes the saw more ridgid.

I like my Rikon 10-345 a lot.