Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3 31 Jointer/Planer - Accessories

Hammer A3 31 Jointer/Planer - Accessories

Howdy all!

After extensive research I ordered a Hammer A3 31 Jointer/Planer Combo during the current promo which brings the price to at or below what it was before the April 1st price increase. If you are thinking of getting one, move on it before it jumps back up $820 or so.

I have a request for Hammer Owners: As I need help on choosing what accessories to get, could you please reply with your thoughts on those that you own. Since they are pricey I don't want to get a nice wall ornament. I am most interested in the Digital Read Out and the mobility kit. If anyone owns those, please reply. As always: Thanks! and I know, i know ... I'll participate more often. 1st post ... please, be gentle.

Steve

Hi Steve, I have the digital planer height readout and really like it. It is very repeatable, as long as you approach the setting from the same direction each time ie raising the table.

I didn't order the mobility kit, as the wheels mount on the back of the base, which means that the machine moves along it wide dimension, which is 55 inches if I remember correctly.

My shop needed the wheels on the short dimension so I could wheel it down a hallway shaped room. I have no idea why they put the wheels on the wide dimension, as I thought that combination machines were all about space saving.

I'm making an angle iron base to correct the mobility issue.

I may someday order bed extensions for the planer, however as a stock machine it has zero snipe.

I know you'll be happy with it.

The one odd item about them is that the single phase motor does not have a centrifugal switch, so you have to hold the start button until the machine comes up to speed.

If you are used to North American single phase machines where all you do is poke the start button, the Hammer won't start, it'll just trip your breaker or the machine's overload relay.

Since I'm a slow learner I made a lamacoid that states " ATTENTION! Hold Start Button until Planer is up to Speed" and stuck it on the arm that holds the bridge guard.

Hammer did include a similar sticker beside the start button, however that's not as visible as the bridge guard.

You are going to love your new machine.

Regards, Rod.

I have the C3-31 and have been very happy with it so far. I bought the digital readout, but have just used the ruler on the side of the planer so far. I think that once I get around to using the DRO, I will be glad I have it.

Wow thanks ... great info. As far as the DRO, does that just slap on to the existing stock handwheel or do you have to purchase the aluminum handwheel to go with that?

I was really considering the mobility kit but I'm in the same situation as yourself and I really need something more mobile than fixed wheels on the back. Thanks so much for your insight. I'm an engineer, so I'll have to put my brain to work and come up with something that works. I've really become spoiled with the PM2000 retractable swivel casters. Hmm ...
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

Hi Steve, you need the aluminum handwheel.

Engineer eh? If you need help designing a set of wheels, let me know.

(Just kidding, I'm a Technologist amongst a group of Engineers, so the teasing both ways is frequent).

I was really surprised about the mobility kit, when I ordered my machine, I ordered the kit. Then a month later I'm in the showroom picking up my power feeder and the salesman mentions to me that the kit is now instaled on the showroom model. Boy, was I glad he mentioned that, so I could cancel mine.

regards, Rod.

I only bought the Johnson bar they sell for $80.00
    I made my own mobility kit from 4" nylon wheels and a half inch bar sheathed in 1/2" copper pipe. fits the holes nicely.

I made the angle bracket from 1/8" steel plate and bent it using a torch and used 1/4" hardware to secure the geometry and bolted it to the holes already in the frame.

The feet are heavy industrial 1/2-13 leveling pads. I had to open up the holes in the machine to get my pads to fit.

I am glad I did so cause I never move my machines.

That is the only thing I don't like about Felder that everything is ala carte.

I didn't get the extension tables and never missed 'em

You might ask about a shellix cutter head. I wish I had.

I have one of the A3-31's also with the digital readout and some extensions. The digital gauge is well worth the $$. The 16" extensions are ok but do flex a little with heavier stock. The 30" extensions with the legs are very handy for long stock, but unless you are in the 8' to 10' length range I wouldnt worry about it. Did you order the 90deg elbow for connecting to the DC? I started with the straight reducer to 4" diameter, but it is not as nice as the elbow. With the elbow your hose fits easily between the table halves when planing. Extra blades is the only other thing you could need.

Not sure Felder offers the Shellix, but you could order a custom direct from Byrd.

Brad

Steve, I've had mine for a couple of months. Picked it up as a floor model.

I ordered the aluminum hand wheel and the digital read out. It is awesome and I highly recommend it. It's very precise and very repeatable.

I also ordered an extra set of knives. Always nice to have on hand, just in case. Changing knives is a snap - takes about a minute with the included hex wrench. I really wanted a shelix head as that is what I had on my 6" Jet, but with 12" width I can skew the board and get a shearing cut. The throat opening on the Hammer is also relieved at the bottom which minimizes air gulping which causes a lot of noise (another benefit of shelix head). The Hammer is about the same loudness as my Jet with the shelix head.

Lastly, I ordered an extension table and the attaching bar for the outfeed side of the planer. It's nice to have there for long boards and I can easily move it to the jointer table for really long boards.

I did not order the mobility kit because, as was pointed out, it moves the unit in the wrong direction (width instead of length). I had an HTC 3000 Universal Base that I was not using so put it on that. It's a bit of a beast to move (almost 700 pounds), but it's stable and I can move it when needed.

As others have said, you are going to love the A3 31. If I had not gotten such a great deal price-wise on it, I would have never paid this much (I was really leaning toward the Jet J/P). Now that I have it and have used it, I would gladly pay full price to replace it if necessary (though I doubt that - I'm sure it will outlast me).

Be well,

Doc

Cliff, I'm really interested in seeing some photos of that set up.

Judging by the feedback it sounds as if the DRO is the way to go. Blades are a for sure thing.

Don, I too strongly considered the Jet but after reading some of the UK forums I decided against it (not that it was bad news but it wasn't what I was looking for). I'm really glad to see that you feel so strongly about the Hammer.

Brad, thats another good one I am considering ... a 90 degree elbow fitting amazingly pricey for what it is but what do you think about it? Is the hose in the way without it?

• Aside from accessories if anyone has any shop made accessories or retrofits on the A3 31 please show us some pictures.
    • Also, what type of Dust Collection are you folks running and is it adequate? I am sure 1.5 HP will suffice.
    Last edited by Steve Perez; 07-08-2008 at 9:16 PM.

Steve, for planing the hose could get in the way unless you have somewhere to tie it up. In my case I have to run the hose between the infeed and outfeed tables in the up postion so the elbow keeps the hose a little shorter. I have to unhook the hose in my case, but I suppose some have enough hose to avoid that. If you do have to unhook the hose, extra clamps can become a nuisance. The nice thing about the Felder couplers is you do not need any clamps. Yes, expensive plastic but you only need to do it once.

You may find the fence is a little more flexible than you are used to because it is aluminum instead of typical north american steel. I added a mag switch to the outfeed side of my fence for working larger pieces (door stock mostly). I posted a pic before. Nothing special, but I find it helps to reduce the flex.

I run a cyclone, but 1.5hp should be fine so long as you keep a short run. I started with a 1hp single stage and that was a little weak. There is a spec in the manual (800fpm if I recall correctly). If you are using typical 4" hose you might want to add a transition from 120 to 100mm.

I also like the Gleit (for the tables) Felder sells, but have also used the other options to keep the tables friction free. Uggh, I sound like a Felder salesman. One thing you may find is a lot of the european tools and accessories are well thought out and once you try them you dont know how you worked (or played) without.

Brad

11. Darn. I typed a long message last night but my connection dropped as I was posting it.

I have an A3/31 and it's great. Carl at Felder has been amazing in terms of post-sales support (some "adjustment" issues with my machine, all taken care of now). I haven't had support this good for a car!

Anyway, I ordered the Hammer with the cobalt knives, the DRO & wheel, the mobility kit, and the table extension. As someone pointed out earlier, the same extension for the jointer table will also work on the planer outfeed side if you get an extension mount. And as an aside, it'll actually work on other Felder/Hammer equipment--you can mount it on their bandsaw, for example, to get better infeed or outfeed support.

For dust collection, I have a longer piece of flex hose attached to the dust collection chute with a band clamp. When I flip from jointer to planer mode. I just drape that hose over the upright jointer tables or I hang it from a bungee I already have attached to the ceiling. 5" flex hose is not particularly easy to handle, so I'd much rather not detach it and reattach it. I don't have any problems with the longer run of flex.

Regarding the fence--yes, it does flex a bit. But it remains perpendicular to the tables and knives; I've never noticed it affecting edge jointing at all. I think it would be difficult to bend it in multiple dimensions. If you joint at something other than 90 degrees, though, the flex might cause issues. I'm glad the fence is a little lighter--a cast iron jobbie would make the table really heavy!

Enjoy your Hammer. It's a great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perez View Post
    Cliff, I'm really interested in seeing some photos of that set up.
    Of wheels pinned on to an axle by nuts or cotter pins?
    Or the bent up metal angle bracket ?

• Also, what type of Dust Collection are you folks running and is it adequate? I am sure 1.5 HP will suffice.
    I have a rigid shop vac. I shove it in the out-feed- DC port using a plastic bottle as the adapter. It works to keep the shavings from being trapped by the out-feed roller and dimpling the work. Ya gotta have something or else you get dimples.

Dust collection, Oneida 1.5HP cyclone, connected to the A3-31 via a 5" hose........Rod.

Cliff, actually pics of your whole mobilty set up would be great and well appreciated! Thanks!

Anyone using the Mortise option with their machine? Curious to hear how it compares to other options on the market.

Brad