Thread: Tool Gloat with a twist

Tool Gloat with a twist

I had to replace my cordless drill-driver this weekend, the old one died when it was dropped from the rafters while rerouting my 220V power for the planer. After researching online I decided on a Ridgid 18v Li-Ion Hammer Drill Driver, Model R86111. While I'm not a fan of the orange borg, I couldn't deny the good reviews and the lifetime warranty.

So I go and pick one up and at the checkout the young lady rings up the purchase, gives me the total $269+ taxes and as I go to pay, she stops me and says that she's overcharged me. I gave a puzzled look as their math and mine were as expected. What I failed to notice was the price tag on the box for $187.00, the price of the drill driver w/o the hammer feature.

After she talks to three different managers, I get the lower price. I didn't argue for it nor against it, but it was explained to me, twice, that the store policy is the price of the item is what it is marked or what is in the computer, whichever is lower, even when it is a blatant mistake. When I did show the tool manager where I picked it up from, he found four more marked at the $187.00 price, which he promptly pulled off the shelf to be re-marked.

Does this change my overall opinion of that chain, no, but I'll give that particular store another chance down the road. But my local lumberyard will always be my first choice for materials.

Fred
    While Genuis may be handicapped by limits, Stupidity does not suffer the same affliction - Let's be careful out there!

That is wonderful there is a law that states you must sell something for what it is marked to prevent bate and switch problems etc. I have found things mismarked several times and the stores will not budge the computer is right is what they tell me. It is nice to see someone giving the customer the benifet of the doubt.
    -=Jason=-

I had something similar with the Orange Borg. I went in to buy some 8 gauge SJ cable to make a heavy duty 240v extension cord. I only needed about 65'. I went and saw the cable was about $2.50 a foot. I found a guy working the department and asked what the price was for a 250' roll. He copied the number and went to the computer. And came back $125. I said are you sure. He said yup. I said I will take a full roll then. Well when I got to the register it rang up as $285. I didn't say a word. The lady called a manager over and said the slip reads $125 but its scanning at $285. The manager did a price change at the register and said have a good day. I am sure the actual price was supposed to be $285 as it was 4 conductor 8 gauge SJ cable. So now I have about 185' of the cable still in my shop ready to make more very heavy duty 240v extension cables. Although since I moved I no longer even need the first 65' one I made.

There really is a reason the home centers are taking over. Their return policies alone put them in consideration for my business. The odd thing is the quality of help, as you travel from store to store. Some stores seem to be staffed with people who couldn't buy a clue, other stores are full of retired professionals, that can really help you. I like my locally owned hardware store better, where I currently live, but "the borg" aren't half bad.

When I was adding my sub panel and outlets in my shop I was using conduit so I went to the local borg and bought 3 full rolls of 12ga solid wire (White, Black and Green). The price was marked one thing and when it rang up I said that was wrong. manager comes over and I take him and show him the price. He says OK that is the price and he oked the lower amount. I actually said "You might want to fix that" Sure OK he says.

Well one of the spools was not solid it was standed. I said NO, I want to do this right so I returned it and I was credited the higher amount. I did not realize it until I bought the new roll of the correct one and had to go through the process as before and got the lower price.

I tell him what happened and he said "I will correct it and I could keep the higher credit" I will bet anything it is has still not been fixed but I am not complaining

I know many scoff at doing business with places like Home Depot. However, I too have found a fairly high percentage of knowledgeable people staffing the place, and while it's sometimes hard to find someone right when you need them, it isn't hard to find someone who'll page someone for the department you're in. I get much more attention and help from them than I do my local True Value which lost out on a $425 grille sale because I couldn't find anyone willing to answer my questions on the unit that interested me.

Also, I find that the way employees are treated is a good indicator of the kind of company you're doing business with. A neighbor worked for two other big-box retailers - Office Max and PetSmart - and was treated like dirt. She's been at Home Depot for about six months now and says that management treats all of their employees with the utmost respect and appropriately accommodates everyone from the college kid working a summer job to the person who wants to make a career from retailing.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here