Thread: First Impression: Grizzly Staplers and Brad Nailer

First Impression: Grizzly Staplers and Brad Nailer

As I have mentioned in other threads, I'm in the process of installing hardwood floors in my house. Renting a flooring stapler runs about $30 plus tax per day in my area. Tha's for a Bostich, albeit a beat-up example. I wanted to take my time and decided to buy my own flooring stapler.

The Bostich flooring stapler was $479 at my local BORG and online; too much for my budget. I saw a Harbor Freight flooring stapler online for $140. I strongly considered ordering that tool.

Then I saw Grizzly had a flooring stapler for $195. I've dealt with Grizzly previously and have been very satisfied. I decided to try their flooring stapler. I figured it would be a balance between the Bostich and Harbor Freight examples.

While reviewing the flooring stapler specs in my Grizzly catalogue, I saw they had a new brad nailer/stapler kit for $59.95. I needed these tools not only for the flooring job, but for my workshop as well. I went ahead and added that to my order. I made the order online on a Sunday afternoon and is was waiting for me on my porch the following Wednesday evening. I don't recall the shipping price, but it was minimal.

I'm about halfway through my flooring install. The Grizzly flooring stapler performance has been outstanding. When I first hooked it up to my compressor and made a few test firings, the 1 1/2" Bostich staples went right through the flooring and well into the scrap piece of plywood I was using. Wow. Power is no problem with this tool! I'm sure it would have no trouble at all driving 2" staples.

After dialing down my compressor regulator to just under 60 PSI, the stapler worked just right. It came with a mallet; rubber on one end for adjusting the flooring and metal on one end for hitting the button and tightening the flooring at the same time.

Boy, somebody was using his gray matter when he came up with this flooring stapler design! I can put an entire row of flooring down by hand, then go over it with the stapler, "BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG..." And that row is done, nice and tight, in no time at all. Sometimes the flooring tongues will split, but I think that's a function of the flooring being pretty thin. It's 3/8" mesquite. This thickness of flooring is typically used for glue installs. It works for stapled installs, but I'm sure the 3/4" flooring would be easier. Even when the tongues split, the next row goes in just fine.

When starting a row of flooring along a wall, I have to top nail it. For this I used the Grizzly brad nailer. Again, no trouble with power here. I'm using 1" brads and they go in perfectly at 60 PSI. Like some other brad nailers, there's no rubber tip on the end. This can mar the finish on the flooring. This is really no big deal for this procedure because the brads will be covered by baseboard. However, for woodworking, hot-gluing on a piece of hardboard to the tip might be a good idea. I plan to do this eventually.

Then I went to use the Grizzly stapler. The manual says the stapler uses 21 gauge, 1/2" crown staples, 1/4" - 5/8" in length. I couldn't find any such staples at Lowe's, HD or ACE Hardware. I also checked my local Woodcraft with no joy. Apparently, I'm going to have to order these staples from Grizzly. Perhaps they're proprietary. I'm not sure, but I'm not happy about it. While I don't mind ordering staples from Grizzly, I don't like being forced to do so. If this is part of some grand plan to sell staples, it's a lousy, non-customer friendly plan.

OK, I've already cranked out quite a tome. I can follow up with more details, answer questions and include pictures if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see a picture of the mesquite flooring. Please!
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I have a Crown Central Pneumatic stapler it uses the 20 Gauge 1/4" - 5/8" long and 1/2" wide staples according to the markings on the gun. However, the operating manual says 18 gauge 1/2" Crown Staples 1/4" - 5/8". I used the 20 gauge like it said on the gun and it worked perfectly. Yours may also work just fine with a 20 gauge staple. I have no idea why the gun says 20 gauge and the manual says 18.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

OK, Richard. I'll get some happy snaps of the flooring and upload them soon. I've got enough flooring down now to see the overall effect. I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for that info, Gary. I tried 18 gauge, 14" staples in my stapler. They were too narrow and wouldn't fit. However, it doesn't look like 1/2" wide staples would work, which is what the manual recommends. The area for the staples appears to be just over 1/4 " wide. I plan to call Grizzly and ask them about this. I'll post the results.