Thread: Dining table advice needed!

Unhappy Dining table advice needed!

Hi all,

This is my very first post here, so I'll take a second to intro myself.
    I live in Northern Ontario, and have been trying my hand at woodworking for around 8 years. I work in an office and one day decided to take a woodworking night class. I was hooked. I've built up a modest collection of tools, but my basement shop is very small. If I'm using a tool, and need another, I have to put the one I'm using away first! I consider myself an "advanced beginner", and willingly admit that I am probably the slowest woodworker on the planet.

Most of the projects I build are from WOOD mag, with the exception of my two kayaks.

Anyway...my question...

My wife found a dining table that she absolutely loves. It is a 60" X 40" rectangular table that expands along its long axis to 60" X 60". While I agree that it is a nice table, I don't particularly like the 5K price tag. I asked her to give me a year and promised I would build a nicer table. We both like mission style furniture. The table she found was not mission, so I really don't want to bring it into the house, (even if it was cheaper). The problem is, I haven't been able to find any plans or suggestions on building a table that expands along its long axis. Where can I find the extenders? How many should I use in a 5ft table? Should I simply build 4 legs and an apron, and physically move the legs to expand the table, or is there a simple way to build a stationary base, and have the top slide open? Did I bite off more than I can chew? My wife is already saving her money to buy the table...

Questions, questions, questions......

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    It'll fit....hand me the hammer!!

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Welcome to the Creek Rob!

Building a dining table is a great project and one you will enjoy every day after its finished.

The forum rules don't allow posting links, but go to leevalley.com and choose the "hardware" tab, then click on table hardware, then table extenders. Better still, give them a call and ask which of their extenders would work best for your dimensions.

There are a few excellent books on building tables, one of my favorites is Dining Tables by Kim Carleton Graves, Taunton press. The book has a chapter "Expanding Rectangular Table" with plans!

Good luck and keep those questions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marcil View Post
    ....Should I simply build 4 legs and an apron, and physically move the legs to expand the table, or is there a simple way to build a stationary base, and have the top slide open? ....
    You could build it either way. One issue with the second approach might be tippiness in the 60x60 mode.

Rob, sounds like you like the design aspects of this table, and that is reason enough to build one.

But, for functionality, the extra width on a dining table is lost. The only thing one can do with it is use it for a center piece. We have a trestle table that I built several years ago. Originally, it had a 50" wide top. It was cumbersome, and diners were too far away from each other to interact, pass food, etc. When we expanded our family with married children and grandkids, I built a new top that is 42" wide and it is much more comfortable. I have extension slides and 2 leaves for the length of the table.

That said, you may have just the space for such a rectangular table, and sometimes that is as important. Have you considered a gate-leg design to support the extra width?

How about Round?

A round table some 40" diameter with leaves might be a good bet. While not a mission expert (not from Houston) I believe I've seen a lot of round pedestal tables that would blend in with Mission. Of course leaves could be addewd to extend to 60" or more.

Welcome to the Creek Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl

Seating for 8

Well, the thinking is, we need seating for 8, for family events, and a 5' square table should comfortably seat all of us. Most of the time however, it will be just my wife and I, so a 5' by 40ish" table would be a good size to fit in my dining room, without being too large.

I am restricted to the design - rectangular table that explands along its long axis to a square. It is what my wife wants. No sense building something she won't be happy with, no matter how well it turns out (or not )

I think I will buy the book Jesse mentioned and see what it has to say.

Thanks all....
    It'll fit....hand me the hammer!!

Rob, spousal demand overrides all other considerations!! I have experience in that area, and ignoring that trump card can be unhealthy! Post pics as you go.

Rob- good luck with the table project. It's on the list for me as well. I've done a little research and bought the Kim Carleton Graves book. It's a good reference but I don't recall an expanding table along the long axis in there. I'm not sure if there is a 'rule of thumb' concerning the slides and their spacing along the axis.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

How about mounting a 10" piece on some 1 1/2" square supports for each side and cutting notches in the apron that the supports slide through to mount. That way the table in it's normal state is solid, and has 10" wings on each side when "extended"?

My brother has this type of extender on the end of his table, but it should work for the sides too.