Thread: Considering the G0495X jointer

Question Considering the G0495X jointer

I’m looking for a good 8” jointer for my shop. I’ve been looking at the Grizzly G0495X 8” jointer and wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with it and what they like or dislike about it. A quick search here and didn’t turn anything on this new jointer. I realize that for a $100 more I could step up to the G0609 12" jointer. The extra 4” would be nice, but based on Steve Kohn’s review, I’m a little concerned about the way the fence can dig grooves in the table. I don’t know if the G0495X has the same problem, but from the pictures, the fence design on the G0495X is different. I’m also interested in getting something with a spiral head and the G0495X includes one. To add a Byrd head to the G0609 would run an additional $665 or I could get the G0609X with Grizzly’s spiral head for $2045.

The G0495 definitely looks like it's a better jointer than the G0490. The difference I can see between the G0490 and the G0495 are as follows:

G0490 vs G0495

Table Length - 76 5/16" vs 80"
    Cutter Speed - 5350 vs 7000
    Fence Length - 35" vs 38"
    Weight - 597lbs vs 748lbs

Other things the G0495 has over the G0490 are:

Improved fence design?
    Digital readout for infeed table height
    Handwheel table movement

Wow... I guess no one has purchased one of these yet. That kind of surprises me based on number of Grizzly reviews I see here on SMC. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different jointer in the $1500 price range, or based on the specs would you get the G0495X?

Can't speak toward the 8" version but I just bought the 6" and its great. Snagged it on sale and couldn't be happier. Smooth, quiet and it was darn near dead square out of the box. Well built machine.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Blog Entries
    I like the hand wheels but my G0490X levers are very smooth for the very, very rare times when the table is moved. The digital height deal is superfluous to me but may be of value to others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the replies... I agree that the digital height readout is superfluous. I am curious about the weight difference. The 495x is a 150 pounds heavier than the 490. I wonder where the added weight went. My guess is the fence and the base. The one thing I haven't really been impressed with on the 490 is the base and the motor mounting system. From the various pictures I've seen posted here, it doesn't appear to be all that heavy duty. This has lead some people to rig up a system to get the belt properly tensioned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gatti View Post
    Thanks for the replies... I agree that the digital height readout is superfluous. I am curious about the weight difference. The 495x is a 150 pounds heavier than the 490. I wonder where the added weight went. My guess is the fence and the base. The one thing I haven't really been impressed with on the 490 is the base and the motor mounting system. From the various pictures I've seen posted here, it doesn't appear to be all that heavy duty. This has lead some people to rig up a system to get the belt properly tensioned.
    The tables . . . , well, the overall jointer itself appears more massive. That weight would translate into stability but the 490 has never tried to move on me. It is surprising how easily it moves on it's base for its weight. Although it is only moved now and then, it is handy (my woodrack is behind the jointer). Although I am a big fan of spiral heads, you are close to a 12" in price . . . hmmmmm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The 490X has a mobile base; the 495X does not appear to have one.

I have the 593X and could not be happier with it. I think the bottom line is all of the Grizzly 8" jointers with carbide cutters are excellent.

The 495X looks like a very nice machine, but for a mere $550 extra you could step up to the 12" 609X, also with carbide cutters.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It is surprising how easily it moves on it's base for its weight.
    Funny you should mention mobility. I've been searching for mobile base for this beast and there doesn't appear to be one that will fit. The heavy duty shop fox with the extended rails only will give me 44", and the 495X needs 45 3/4". I don't plan on moving this thing around a lot, but I need the option to move it when the need arises. This was one of the things that has kept me away from the 12" model.

The other interesting thing that I noticed when going through the manual for the 495X is that this beast comes fully assembled! You need some sort of a hoist to get it off the pallet. It comes with lifting rods designed to accommodate straps.

Well I finally decided on which jointer to get. I ended up ordering the G0609 today. A couple of things pushed me in the direction of the 12" model.

1. Having the 12" width will really come in handy as I start to work on larger pieces of furniture. I'm planning on making all new furniture for the bedroom (including the bed) and the extra width will make jointing wide boards much easier.

2. It doesn't appear that the 495X has been released yet. The latest word from Grizzly is that they won't have them in stock until 9/19. I'm a little hesitant to buy the 495X without reading any user reviews.

3. Looking at my shop layout, I don't think I will need a mobile base on my jointer. If I end up needing one, I'm confident I can either build one myself of get a custom made HTC base. I've see a few examples of over at woodnet.

4. I'm still interested in getting a spiral/byrd head, but I can add this to the jointer later on.

5. I can probably fix the issues with the fence leaving grooves on the outfeed table by smoothing any burrs off of the underside of the fence with a file and some sandpaper. If the problems is bad, I will send the fence back to Grizzly.

I'll try to post some pictures and a review after it arrives and I get it set up and running. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Did you ever get the G0495X?
    If so, how do you like it?

12 year old thread and Paul hasn't posted in 6 years. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response. But maybe someone else who bought one will respond.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Yep,
    Thanks forgot to check the dates.