Thread: Lithium ion drivers: Makita 18V v. Panasonic 14.4V

Question Lithium ion drivers: Makita 18V v. Panasonic 14.4V

I'm looking to buy a combo kit with an impact driver and a driver-drill. I've narrowed my search to the Makita LCT200W kit ($220 reconditioned or $280 new with a free third battery), with 1.5 ah Li batteries, and the Panasonic EYC142B kit ($350 plus rebate for free third battery), with 3.0 ah Li batteries. Adding a 3.0 ah battery to the Makita kit (for a total of four batteries) would bring the price about even with that for the Panasonic kit (with three 3.0 ah batteries). The Panasonic's chief advantages seem to be a brushless motor and 3 speed ranges, as opposed to the Makita's single speed range. The Makita offers a more powerful battery (at least on paper, 18V v. 14.4), a faster charger (15 min. for the 1.5 ah batteries), a more useful light (to the extent that I might use it), and a more complete line of tools. Are there other significant differences between these two kits? I'm looking for advice to help me choose. Thanks.

from all indication the 'green' makitas are designed for everyday heavy use, the 'grey' ones are a cheaper line for non-professional use. suppose it's just a matter of how you're gonna need to use it.

i've got the green version of the one you're looking at, the batteries hold a charge for a full day under constant use, and charge in an hour.

Get the Makita for sure. They have a ton of great tools in that size. The drill and the impact driver are both very light and high quality. Stay away from the grey series. The grinder and the recip saw are also very nice tools.

Dan

I'm not a woodworking professional

Thanks for your replies so far. I was considering the "gray" Makitas (which come with 1.5 ah batteries but can take the 3.0 ah), because I'm a woodworking hobbyist. It's extremely rare that I would need to use the drivers for hours on end, and the short charging time (plus the ability to use 3.0 ah batteries) would seem to be sufficient in those situations.

vote for the LCT kit

I have the "grey" makita kit and use the impact driver on a daily basis in a commercial shop. It's lightweight, solidly built, and the batteries last longer than you would think. I would recommend it to anyone. From what I can see, the "green" version just uses the more expensive, heavier, and slower-charging 3.0ah batteries.

I've had the original Li tools for 2 and 1/2 years and literally beat the crap out of them. A year as an apprentice electrician and 4 months installing sattelite dishes. They take it.

I've had the hammer drill rebuilt once under warranty. It needed a new transmission. The little circular saw is way too fragile, drop it once and the plate is bent. Try to straighten it and it breaks.

Even with a couple of problems, I recommend the tools.

The impact would fit through a 4 inch hole that dewalt wouldn't even consider, and the lights are more helpful than you would ever imagine. Seems gimmicky at first, but you won't ever want to do without them later.

JMHO

Bad experience

Quote Originally Posted by David Stoner View Post
    I'm looking to buy a combo kit with an impact driver and a driver-drill. I've narrowed my search to the Makita LCT200W kit ($220 reconditioned or $280 new with a free third battery), with 1.5 ah Li batteries, and the Panasonic EYC142B kit ($350 plus rebate for free third battery), with 3.0 ah Li batteries. Adding a 3.0 ah battery to the Makita kit (for a total of four batteries) would bring the price about even with that for the Panasonic kit (with three 3.0 ah batteries). The Panasonic's chief advantages seem to be a brushless motor and 3 speed ranges, as opposed to the Makita's single speed range. The Makita offers a more powerful battery (at least on paper, 18V v. 14.4), a faster charger (15 min. for the 1.5 ah batteries), a more useful light (to the extent that I might use it), and a more complete line of tools. Are there other significant differences between these two kits? I'm looking for advice to help me choose. Thanks.
    After my own personal experience with panasonic I never miss a chance to share my displeasure. The drill in the photo fell off a chair and broke in half. Let me say that again, the drill in the picture fell off a chair and broke clean in two. Panasonics response was it was dropped so not covered under warranty. When I said it fell off a chair they said it still wasn't covered. The PC in the picture is no longer with me but recieved an honorable burial at my tool guys store for parts. It took a beating and kept on . My personal opinion is that panasonic drills are aout as good as there radios
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

The Makitas are great. I have the hammerdrill, impact driver, and saw, and love all of them.

My hammerdrill died within the three year warrantee-had it sent out and back to me within a week!

I have heard good things about the panasonic impact driver-but William's post doesn't have me too gung ho to run out and buy one.

Dustin

I don't have any experience with panasonic but I have have owned both the black and white and the green makitas (upgraded after I got a deal).

For hobby use you will be very happy with the black and white makita. Light weight, good battery life and a 15 min recharge time. I drove about 150 1 1/2" screws with one charge with the impact driver without any noticeable loss of power.

MK

You don't need much more confirmation but yep, Makita.

For hobby use you will be very happy with the black and white makita. Light weight, good battery life and a 15 min recharge time. Dang, Mikail took that line (or was it the other way around?).

Seriously, I am a consistent active hobby user of the Makita 1.5 ah Li batteries 18amp drill and scroll saw. A panasonic was my first cordless drill and I used it for 10 yrs so I looked at those first but chose the Makita set. I think you could expect the same performance for the hammer drill. I just use the tools hour after hour and with two batteries am never down, seem to charge a battery every week or two. While shopping I had an uneasy feeling that I should buy the bigger and "better" Makita 3.0 ah batteries until I used the kit with the 1.5. I won't need more. And if you do develope the need for a cordless scroll saw the Makita is a peach.

Enjoy and Happy 4th,
    Larry Rasmussen,
    Seattle