Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I broke it...

So I broke it...

I was trying to change the blade on my Miter saw and snapped the head off the arbor bolt. So now I have a bolt shaft stuck in the arbor.
    Does anyone know how I can get the shaft out? It is a dewalt DW703 if that makes a difference. I'd prefer not to have to take it to a repair center.

Crapsman makes screw extractors-they sell them at Sears.

Good luck,

Dustin

I am not familiar with the DeWalt, so this may not be physically possible. If you can easily access the top of the bolt, using a punch you can strike and rotate the bolt. If you can break the bolt free, you may be able to spin it out either by hand or with a pair of pliers.

Hope this works and good luck.

Cheers,

Chris

With a center punch mark a whole in the very center of the broken bolt. The drill a small hole in it to make sure it is centered fairly well. Now drill a larger hole nearly the size of the bolt and with an easyout remove the bolt. Be very careful ti get it centered properly.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Phase 2

Are arbor bolts typically repalceable with bolts that you find at the local BORG or Hardware store?

Chris, perhaps these people have the part you need. It looks to be part Number 21 and costs .92 cents but also looks like any other bolt with a built in washer. I would look at a Auto Parts Store maybe. You could just order this if you can't find one around you town.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dew...f10f7edafb5152
    Last edited by Gary Lange; 07-03-2008 at 9:31 PM.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    You ARE aware that the 703 is a left-hand thread ??

Thanks Bob

I wasn't aware that is a left thread. I will be calling Dewalt for a replacement part. I would hate to break the saw or worse have spinning blade fly off at me.

If it is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    You ARE aware that the 703 is a left-hand thread ??
    If it is a left handed thread, I would center punch it and drill a 3/16" hole in it . . . drill very slow with steady pressure & I'll bet the bolt comes spinning out before you finish . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Drill, tap and insert a NORMAL bolt. It's left handed, no easy-out needed.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

What's the signifigance of the left thread? And by tapping do you mean tap it with a center punch? Or does tapping mean something else?

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by chris dub View Post
    What's the signifigance of the left thread? And by tapping do you mean tap it with a center punch? Or does tapping mean something else?

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    In this case I believe he means take a tap (which cuts threads in a hole) and thread the hole. Then put a right hand bolt in (same size as the tap). When you tighten a right hand bolt, it will tend to unscrew a left hand bolt - the one that's stuck.

BTW, the reason they're called "right hand" and "left hand" is as folllows. Assume a right hand bolt - take your right hand and point your thumb in the direction you want the bolt or nut to move. The direction of your fingers will tell you which way to turn the bolt or nut.

When you have a left hand bolt or nut, use your left hand the same way - point your thumb in the direction you want the bolt or nut to move and your fingers will tell you which way to turn.

Mike

[The reason you have a left hand bolt on that saw is that the bolt tends to tighten when you start up the saw. If you had a right hand bolt it would tend to untighten. I would purchase a replacement from DeWalt. Those bolts are heat treated and you want the same kind, and strength, bolt to replace it. I would not recommend a cheap Borg bolt for that - if you could find a left hand bolt at the Borg.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-03-2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Steven was right. I used a metal drill bit and the notch on the tip of the bit and it provided enough surface to move the bolt and spin it out. I broke the bolt using an impact wrench to get the bolt off that was on way too tight. I couldn't get it off by hand or with my 18V drill. But the impact wrench losened it up. Jut a little to strong I guess. I should have stoppped as soon as I got it to budge. I'll order the replacement bolt.

Guess I'll have to wait to try the new blade. Too bad I was anxious to check it out.

Thanks all.

Dewalt saw

Chris, If you live in or near a town of 50K or more, there will probably be a bolt and screw store. Take your 2 pieces of the bolt in and I bet they can provide you with an exact replacement. Johnny Pearce

Quote Originally Posted by chris dub View Post
    Steven was right. I used a metal drill bit and the notch on the tip of the bit and it provided enough surface to move the bolt and spin it out. I broke the bolt using an impact wrench to get the bolt off that was on way too tight. I couldn't get it off by hand or with my 18V drill. But the impact wrench losened it up. Jut a little to strong I guess. I should have stoppped as soon as I got it to budge. I'll order the replacement bolt.

Guess I'll have to wait to try the new blade. Too bad I was anxious to check it out.

Thanks all.
    Don't over tighten your arbour bolts. "Snug and a bit" (with a hand wrench, NOT a power tool) is more than enough. For the reasons outlined by Mr. Henderson above, these bolts will "self - tighten".

Happy to read that you got the sheared bolt out - just don't over tighten them in the future.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.