Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a Woodworker with a trip to Boston

Help a Woodworker with a trip to Boston

LOML and I will be leaving for Boston tomorrow morning, where we will spend the next week. Are there places of interest and/or sites to be seen in or around Boston that might be of interest to a woodworker?

Thanks.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I would recommend Durgin Park, for its sawdust-covered floors. It claims to the be the second oldest restaurant in America. If you ask a local for its location, you'll need to pronounce the second work, "paahk". (Years ago, when in Boston on business, I went to a store to buy a video game for my kids. The clerk asked, "yand-yeld"? After asking her to repeat herself several times, I finally realized she was asking "hand-held"?) With TV, I wonder if that accent has softened a little.

Durgin Park: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=320

Cary

It's not Boston, but I am holding a Festool Fest Sunday the 13th tween 1 and 3 -- free sandwiches and beer. No real itinerary...answer any and all questions regarding any Festool product. Any SMC members who want in just email me at jlucasils@aol.com. (PS - no assistants will be there.) I a m in Hope RI. will send map and instructions in response to email.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

www.gallerynaga.com
    www.fullercraft.org
    Museum of Fine Art in Boston has a great collection of furniture.

"T.T. the Bear's"
    http://www.ttthebears.com

It's way more fun than southie on a saturday night.

I haven't been there myself but it might be worth checking out
    http://www.nbss.org/Programs/index.a...48&ModuleID=17

Not woodworking related, but things worth checking out are the almost completed big dig, Fenway Park (if you can possibly find tickets), Boston Common, Fanieul Hall, a duckboat tour could be fun (but a little touristy), and the freedom trail is a good walk around Boston and covers a good amount of sites.
    For restaurants, definately go to the North End, I recommend Bacco, get a few drinks at the bar on the first floor and ask for a table upstars at a window if possible. The north end is a great place for Italian food. If you are looking to spend some coin on a meal check out smith and wollenski, it's in a building built in the 1800's and was the headquarters for the first corps of cadets, great building.
    PM if you are looking for any suggestions in particular.

Yea...you need to visit 'Creeker Don Able and his wonderful little row boat...err....the USS Constitution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Take the Boston Brewing Company tour...

Did you know that Samuel Adams, a leading patriot in the Revolution was a brewer? Hence the Boston Brewing Company named its beer "Sam Adams." The tour of the small old brewery in Dorchester is the perfect thing to do duirng the week of the 4th. And like all brewery tours, you get a free sample at the end. (Disclaimer: I drink Sam, but I don't work there!)

Also take yourself up to Salem (30 miles NE of Boston) and visit the Peabody Essex Museum. The museum's collection is built arount the "China trade" that flourished during the late 18th & 19th centuries and there's a whole house and compund lifted plank by plank from China and reassembled in the courtyard of the museum.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sandman View Post
    Did you know that Samuel Adams, a leading patriot in the Revolution was a brewer? Hence the Boston Brewing Company named its beer "Sam Adams." The tour of the small old brewery in Dorchester is the perfect thing to do duirng the week of the 4th. And like all brewery tours, you get a free sample at the end. (Disclaimer: I drink Sam, but I don't work there!)

Also take yourself up to Salem (30 miles NE of Boston) and visit the Peabody Essex Museum. The museum's collection is built arount the "China trade" that flourished during the late 18th & 19th centuries and there's a whole house and compund lifted plank by plank from China and reassembled in the courtyard of the museum.

Mike
    Along the same lines as what Mike recommened, a tour of the Harpoon Brewery is a good time also. The museum is a great call.

The MFA is undergoing a major rebuilding which is going to last a number of years. Much of the furniture is in storage but there are still a large number of pieces being shown. Wedsday nights from 4 to 9:45 admission is free.

If you have transporation the Willard Clock Museum is located west of Boston
    http://www.willardhouse.org/

North of Boston in Salem is the Peabody Essex museum which has a very nice collection of furniture at the main site
    http://pem.org/homepage/index.php

The museum also has a number of houses open for viewing
    http://www.salemweb.com/guide/arch/houses.shtml

A week in Boston? If you are to venturing outside of Boston than take an easy drive 1.5 hours west on the Mass Pike (I-90) to the Hancock Shaker Village. It is a really nice area in the Berkshires. Lenox and Tanglewood are nearby which is the summer home of the Boston Pops.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12850
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea...you need to visit 'Creeker Don Able and his wonderful little row boat...err....the USS Constitution.
    LOL...with us in the middle of a two-year refurb, we do look more like a row boat (albeit a LARGE row boat) than a sailing ship.

Sorry for the late reply, I was a little busy yesterday on the ship. We normally have a huge to-do for the 4th of July, but yesterday was even more so as we had the Vice President of the United States onboard!

Anyway, Glen I'll be at work all next week but we have events on Monday and Friday. If you're interested in a personal tour of the ship and one of the wood shop we use to maintain her, please let me know. Early morning is better as we open for general tours at 1000.

Be well,

Doc

Boston Area

I work up there in the early 90's doing a/c work.Three summers and couple of winters.Keep an eye open,they drive on the shoulders.That place is beautiful.Just drive around some of the historical areas and see some of the old houses from 17-1800.I always wanted to go to Glouster(sorry spelling) and see the names of the wall of all the Lobster Fisherman who loss their lifes.Drove by it several timeswhen I was up there did not know about it.Talk about history,place is full of it.Have a good trip.

Great ideas guys. We have not yet developed an itinerary, but as this is our second trip to Boston (the first was a 3-day trip 7 yrs ago or so) we hope to explore the outlying areas (day trip stuff). Think we will check out Salem, for example, and maybe attempt a drive up/down the coast (if one exists). I didn't want to miss any "woodworking must-sees" however if there is such in the area.

Thanks very much Don for the wonderful invitation. I'll drop you a private message if it looks like that will fit.

Thanks to all!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Plimouth Plantation
    https://www.plimoth.org/features/crafts-center.php
    Great handtool demos, handmade furniture, lots to be leaned.