Thread: "Weekend Doin's"-Fourth of July Edition

Smile "Weekend Doin's"-Fourth of July Edition

Friday July 4th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

This is the day for family and friends to gather and celebrate the birth of this great country of ours and the freedoms that we hold so dear.

Well, it's been a good week up in this neck of the woods. Weather has been pretty good, although we could use some rain here. Some other parts of the state had some rain the other day. We got just enough to wet the ground, so I'll have to start watering again. Weather for the weekend is supposed to be spectacular. Mid to upper 70's, lots of sun and little or no humidity. Chamber of Commerce weather.

I finally got out and played some golf Thursday. Only played 9 holes as the foot started bothering me a bit and I didn't want to push it. I did hit a few good shots and of course some really bad ones too. I think I'll try again Saturday. If I only get in 9 holes, that's OK, it just feels good to get out there again.

I might find some time to work in the shop, but I'm just going to go with the flow this weekend. Whatever will be, will be. I do need to mow the lawn though. Tonight we'll watch the fireworks. We don't have to go anywhere. They are less than a mile away and we can see them from our house.

So what's up in your neck of the woods? Some shop time? Family time? Goof off time?

Whatever it might be, take a moment to thank and remember all those who have given of themselves so that we may enjoy today.

Enjoy and BE SAFE.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

This is also going to be a "Go with the flow" weekend for me. Cookout on Sat. night with my wifes family and maybe my parents will come along.

I am looking at purchasing a Delta 50-760 dust collector and a Ridgid TS3660 this weekend. It is just hard to come off all that green at one time.

I am going to spray the finish on the mirror that I am making to go in our entry way. The frame has been done for awhile, I have just been waiting to get to the glass shop to see about getting a mirror cut for it. Since I was off yesterday I stopped in and they said no problem. So next week it will be completely finished and hanging on the wall.

Everyone have a safe 4th of July. Remember to end with all 10 digits, and I don't mean while working in the shop.

Tony

I started my weekend yesterday. Took the day off to drive down to Dayton, Ohio to pick this up. The rest of the weekend we'll be getting it ready for our next camping trip. I'm also planning to work on building the cabinet that goes over our stove so I can get the new microwave installed soon.

We are spending the weekend at my mothers cabin in Prescott, Arizona. The elevation is 6300 ft. and there are plenty of tall pines to keep us cool. No wood working just lots of naps and good food.

Happy 4th,

Craig McCormick

Well.....I was orginally going with my wife and MIL to Goldendale WA. Our family was meeting there and I would have a chance to see my great-grandson, granddaughter, daughter, my oldest grandson, my youngest grandson. Then Wednesday I started running a fever. I was still running the fever so I elected not to go and spread whatever it is I might be coming down with. My wife and MIL left yesterday around noon. The fever broke last night sometime.

So....I'll continue with some turning I'm doing as a gift for my MIL. She and my wife leave on Tuesday morning.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Everyday's a holiday when your retired.
    Going to have to go back to work to get some rest!!!
    Getting a lot of shop time setting up the tools. PM 66 is ready to go.

Heading across the boarder to the Blues Festival in Thunder Bay today. A little Art Fair action tomorrow.
    I'm working on my radio show (I'm a DJ)

Have to hay the south forty tomorrow and sailing on Sunday.
    Have a safe weekend

TJH
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-04-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Neighborhood cookout today - we're closing down the whole cul-de-sac and having a block party. Tomorrow: packing, cleaning the car, last-minute stuff before I leave Sunday morning for Phoenix--#2 daughter is seriously ill and hospitalized and is going to have major surgery next week, so I'm going over to take care of the munchkin for a while. I'll be there at least a week, maybe more, but I'm taking the laptop so I can keep in touch.

Hope everyone has a safe Independence Day!!

As Tyler says: Everyday's a holiday when your retired.

And I have to echo that sentiment!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

4th of July

Ken.....That is too bad you couldn't make to Goldendale, WA. I live about 50 miles from there, shorter as the crow flies, if the crow flies straight. Hope you get to feeling better. If you make it over there another time, let me know. Maybe we can get together for a visit.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

That was one of my Dad's ongoing jokes. He worked so hard at home at night and all weekend. Always improving and remodeling the house.
    His other line was: " as soon as the boss schedules his vacation , everybody reschedules their so they are 'working' while the boss is gone"...

Thanks, Tyler. good humour....
    Jerry

Spend most of the 4th with our friends Seth & George and their son (also adopted from Russia as our girls were) as well as another coworker of Seth and Professor Dr SWMBO. We watched the parade in Haddonfield NJ and then had a very nice barbecue back at their house.

The rest of the weekend will be spent getting our new guest room in shape, continued work on the landscaping and some more progress on the final trim in our great room.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Still fighting the tail end of a leg infection so no golf or fishing this weekend, but did get over to the in-laws today for a BBQ with our small family.
    Tomm going to BBQ a brisket for the wife and I ((dog too)
    so I'll have time to do a bit more cleaning in the shop and maybe as I have another fishing tourny next week hit the local sporting goods store for the latest greatest lure or two.

Ya all have a safe and fun weekend, maybe thank a Vet if you see one.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

About three weeks ago I painted out outdoor furniture. Shortly thereafter my wife had me lay a ton (I mean two tons) of flagstone and we bought a fire pit to sit on one section of the flagstone. Everything looked great except the chairs - wrong color. So today I had to repaint them. I didn't complain because I got a chance to try out my new to me (used) HVLP turbine system w/pressure pot. I just mixed up the paint well and put the whole can into the pressure pot. Do to my inexperience I had to c/o the tip once and mess with the settings a little but overall the system made me look like a professional. It took almost 3-1/2 quarts of paint and 4-hours of work.

After I cleaned up took a dip in the pool with the kids and the dogs. Then it was time to grill dinner.

Mike

Happy 4th Everyone.

Most of you Easterners are already in bed. Had a great day here in Monterey today. Several Festivals going on down by the waterfront. Didn't BBQ, but stayed by the warf and had a big bowl of Clam Chowder and watched the fireworks over the bay. Mixed emotions. Great to celebrate our wonderful country, but just south of here 1,000's of fire fighters trying to keep Big Sur from burning to the ground. Pretty smokey around here even without the 'fireworks'.

Shop time tomorrow.

Harvest starts Monday, so 24/7 for the next three months...my shop will be lonely.

Here is what it is looking like..[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://www.msnbc.com/modules/interactive.aspx?type=ss&launch=25478704,25453503& pg=5[/FONT]

Well I had a great time today with some friends in the Army and another who's a Bird Colonel in a Air Force and we had some burgers and beer at my house and then took in the Braves game and the fireworks after..

Was a great time for al, and we Wow!!!

Hope you all had a save and happy 4th..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource