Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: centering cone for router base?

Festool's 32 mm LR32 system uses a centering device. I know, I know - Festool is expensive. Here is a case where they thought through a problem and solved it. One reason to pay more sometimes is because it saves large amounts of time and money making things work.

I have no connection to Festool or any tool retailer whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by David Prince View Post
    Milwaukee has one with their set. I would think it deals more with having interchangable bases. If you have a fixed base, it doesn't move unless you change the baseplate, correct? How would a fixed base create "play" or "slop" between the base and shaft? (Think of a router in a router table. Do you have to check center? The base doesn't move)
    David,

In MY case, I think it's possible that the actual hole in the plywood base WAS centered, properly, but ... since I used rather thick ply, I 'countersunk' it with a larger Forstner bit.

If any of the holes wasn't perfectly centered, then that could allow some 'wiggle room' when the bearing was screwed in (??).

With a 3/4" OD bushing, and a 1/2" shank bit, there was adequate clearance, between the bit and the inside of the bushing, even if I didn't center it properly.

With a 5/8" OD bushing, though, and a 1/2" shank bit, I can see that there was not.

Quoting Tom Hintz....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hintz
    A word of caution: I always use a ¾" OD collar with a ½" bit because of the clearance this combination affords between the cutter and collar. Depending on the wall thickness, a 5/8" OD collar may only provide 1/32" clearance between the bit and the inner wall of the collar. Such tight clearance could cause problems if chips build up in this tiny space. With shaft speeds of 10,000 RPM or more, I want the extra clearance.
    Amen, Tom Next time, remind me to read that FIRST !
    Last edited by Neil Brooks; 03-11-2010 at 3:13 PM.

(Older thread warning..)

I'd just like to express my thanks to whomever it was on SMC that first mentioned a centering cone.
    I just got done using one on my DW611 plunge base & man was the base off!

A few quick turns of the base plate screws & it's in perfect alignment now.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Seems like a lathe would be your friend here (if you have one I guess!) turn a plug (doesn't really have to be a cone I think) that fits the i.d. of the guide bushing and either 1/4 or 1/2 to fit in the router. Make as many sizes as you need and you are good to go.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Cone works better. You only need 1 instead of a drawer full
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Pat Warner sells them on his website... www.patwarner.com

I have one and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    Good Day Everyone,
    Does anyone use a centering cone with their router?

You chuck it up as a means to center the baseplate, which centers the guide bushings to the spindle. An application where this shines would be a
    dovetail jig that relies on guide bushings. Otherwise, if your guide is mounted eccentric to the bit, innaccuracy can creep in.
    As you trace around the jig guide fingers, different reference points make contact and introduce slop.

For many years I have just used a 1/4" straight bit to do the same...
    but I had always wished for better.
    I plan on doing some template routing, and would prefer to dial in the guide bushing before I get started.

Many phone calls inquiries later, noone seems to 'get' what I am talking about, and no store in the whole county carries them.
    I had an offer to go to a far away store in person, make a special order,
    pay in full up front, and wait 4-6 weeks. Sweet deal!
    Another offered to bring one in for me, for just can$28. Sweeter deal!!
    I hope our American woodworkers appreciate Rockler and Woodcraft.

So, before I jump through hoops to get one...
    does anyone find a centering cone worthwhile?
    I brought this to the Creek, because sometimes it's nice for people to know what you are talking about!
    I get how modern marketing works, but it sure would be nice if manufacturers would just stick this little dandy in the kit.
    I know I'd gladly pay a little more for a more complete starter set-up.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Seems like a lathe would be your friend here (if you have one I guess!) turn a plug (doesn't really have to be a cone I think) that fits the i.d. of the guide bushing
    Like Myk says - the cone is the way to go.
    You just loosen the baseplate screws, insert the 1/4" shaft in the collet then push the cone onto the shaft and push it into the hole.
    It centers the plate automatically - then - just snug up the screws & it's perfectly centered.

The cone is one of those tools like a Kreg pocket hole jig - it's simple, easy and does exactly what it's supposed to do.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon