Thread: New Guy Here....

New Guy Here....

While I'm a new here I'm not new to working with wood, I have a couple quick questions.

I'm getting ready to purchase an Oneidia DC and does anyone know if a dedicated circuit is required for the 220V 2 HP Gorilla. we move into a new shop I mean new home in a few weeks and want to get everything wired right teh first time. Before all the gyp is hung.

ML
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Michael,

There is no definitive answer to your question. The most straightforward approach would be to put in a dedicated 220V outlet and be done with it. For a definitive answer factor in:

Sub-panel? Other 220V tools not used with DC? Future tools? Shop layout? Convenience? Kalifornia and local codes? Budget? Sanity?

Enjoy the new shop!

-Jerry

Why not? The sheetrock isn't up and wire is easy to run.

Lots of folks put multiple 220V machines on a single circuit, BUT they only use one at a time. A cyclone isn't one of those tools. It's always on when another machine kicks on. IMHO, dust collection and air conditioners need dedicated circuits.

I agree with David, you use a dust collector at the same time as other 220 volt shop tools so it really should be a dedicated circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a new 200 amp panel at the back of the house 1/2 of it empty and sub panel for the spa. Only about 50' away so I"ll probably end up pulling another circuit from there.

ML
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

If your main panelboard is 50' away from your shop, I'd run a subpanel. That way you can add circuits later without having to run all the way back to the main panelboard.

JMO.

Rob