Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADA Installation Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    That is fine as long as they have met or exceeded federal requirements.

But if they haven't the feds will put a knot in their tail & jerk it out for them.
    I'm anxiously awaiting that, but it will probably not happen until someone makes a complaint to the Justice Department.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If the signs also do not meet the regs not sure I would want the feds involved. Guess you are in a rock and a hard place.

I wish you luck.

I was at a hospital today and got to looking at their signs and they had the room numbers at the bottom left and to the right of the numbers they had the braille. I know these signs were put in within the last two years.

I don't have my Code of Federal Regulations (COFR) handy right now but I don't recall any requirement concerning where braille is placed on a sign. I prefer to put braille on the bottom of the signs I design but we have signs everywhere at CNU that have braille in just about every configuration you can imagine.

The truth is that the COFR is a very simple document where ADA signs are concerned. There isn't much to read or much in the way of instructions. Signs for telephones are more tricky than anything, door signs are very easy to fabricate and install without violating the COFR.

I install signs in accordance with the codes and specifications. If a customer wants me to violate the code or project specs they have to put it in writing instructing me to do so and I will mount them to the floor if that is what they want. The customer is responsible for their directives and it gets me off the hook. Note that a project Inspector doesn't have the authority to make these kinds of decisions, he can accept or reject a particular situation and that is all. Tell him to reject the signs in writing which will force the customers engineering group to provide a solution.

Remember, if you have met the code requirements installing signs and the customer directs you to change them you are within your rights to demand payment for your labor to make the changes.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-27-2008 at 9:05 AM.

Final (hopefully) update!

The inspector signed off on the installation, at long last, and now they want the big box of backers installed on the inside of the glass for all those signs installed on windows. Since school is in session now we'll have to do it in the evening/night.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green