Thread: Whats the diff jet mini /jet vs mini

Question Whats the diff jet mini /jet vs mini

Hello everyone, can someone tell me whats the diff in the jet mini ?
    or the jet vs mini ? besides the $100 diff

plan on buying one soon and I've looked at the delta and the jet in the search but can't find what Im looking for .

the delta has an bed extension. the jet has too but I can't find it anywhere?

I'm limited on space in my shop but Im thinking of making some long spindels for lader back chairs. should I buy a biger lathe? I have a book on making the chairs and he uses mortis and tenon joint to make the back of the chair legs in two pices with the lathe. I would like them in one pice but some of them are long 48"
    Now to convince the wife I need one!!!
    Jim

vs stands for variable speed
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    vs stands for variable speed
    yes I know what vs stands for but what advantages does it have to the cheaper model dont you have to change the belts on both models to change speed?
    I'm confused
    Jim

Jet Mini - difference?

Jim,
    Check the thread below by Jeff Stefanoski entitled, "Jet Minis". 48" is a LONG turn for anything but a very heavy lathe with intermediate stock support. I'm not sure that you will have much luck turning 48" with any of the "home shop" Jets or Deltas. I've never tried it because I don't have a bed that long. Even my PM 3520 is limited to about 30". Weighing in at about 700 lb., even my PM will gives me some "whip" with a 3" diameter unsupported cylinder at 30". The lathe has little to do with it. Physicists have a term for it which involves the "Radius of Gyration" of the stock. It has something to do with "Columnal Rigidity", or something like that. You may get a more positive response from those who have actually tried these "bed extensions". In the meantime, I wouldn't plan on turning any 48" spindles with either a Jet Mini or a Delta Midi.

Realistically - What do Iknow??

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Jim, the variable speed gives you a range of speed, you can achieve any speed within the specified range. It is also much simpler, you can adjust speed while you work without even turning the machine off. The other limits you to two, three, or four speeds (not sure what the Jet has), and you have to manually change the belt locations on the pulleys. I have the Delta (mini) without variable speed.

As to which one is best for you, I don't know. As with any tool, you need to evaluate what you plan to do with it, how often do you plan to use it, how much $$ you can spend. What may be best for me may not be worth it to you.

Also, remember with a lathe, to keep enough in your budget for tools, they do tend to get pricey.
    Tony

jim

i was advised that on monday the mini price was going to go up

i bought my mini yesterday from woodcraft and the salesman said that the price was going to be $350 on monday

and i have heard of price increases for a while

just some food for thought

I think VS stands for "very shinny" ...they put an extra coat of polish on the thing and otherwise they both spin small pieces of wood around.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Jim,

First, to answer your question, the VS model would allow you to "dial in" the right speed for your project. Yes, I know you understand what VS means, but the right speed isn't something you take out of a book and apply it to the lathe. The right speed comes from putting the spindle on the lathe and spinning it, increasing the speed until it "feels" right. Too slow, and you're not cutting efficiently. Too fast, and you generate vibration, which at the very least makes your spindle less than perfect. Adjusting the speed on the non-VS lathe can be done, but it involves stopping and moving the belts. What makes it even more difficult is that the "right speed" will change as you turn your piece. You can increase your speed as you get it closer to the correct diameter.

So, after all that hot air, I would recommend the VS Jet Mini for your project. To get to 48" would take two bed extensions, which I'm not even sure if you can do more than one extension! It would be worth checking out. General Industrial Supply should be able to tell you, and get you the extensions.

Now for the hard part. You've read that it's almost impossible to turn that long of a spindle unsupported because it starts to whip around. This is correct. The key term is "unsupported". If you intend to spin long spindles, plan on getting a couple of spindle steadies. These are contraptions with roller-blade wheels on arms that adjust to hold your spindle steady while it turns. You can make these yourself or you can buy them. For 48" spindles, I would have at least two steadies, if not three.

What you're proposing is doable. It's not simple and easy, but it's not real bad either. You have a worthy goal in mind, and I encourage you to try for it!

Scott.

Chris Rolke jim

i was advised that on monday the mini price was going to go up

i bought my mini yesterday from woodcraft and the salesman said that the price was going to be $350 on monday

and i have heard of price increases for a while

just some food for thought

Thanks Chris I called Woodcraft today 4/18 and she told me that the 708351 for $199.99 would be on sale until 4/30 they dont have any at this store but I can order it before 4/30 and get it for that price.
    Thanks Jim