Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table Saw Alignment Woes

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    Alas, no. What's causing the binding is the motor runs into the outfeed table support if i tilt it past about 20 deg. I designed the outfeed table to have to angle aluminum braces that run from the cabinet back to the underside of the table. It's running into one of these. I can tilt it over if I remove the outfeed table or re-design the support to use legs instead of braces off the cabinet.

I must comment after pulling apart the whole machine and reassembling it. I am NOT impressed with the general design of contractor saws. This whole motor hanging out the back thing is for the birds. On top of that the trunnions are inherently not square if you tilt them since the rely on the rigidity of the rods to hold the end pieces together.

My more severe problem is my electrical service. I've got one outlet for the entire garage that's on a tiny circuit. I ended up blowing the breaker right in the middle of a cut through some mahogany. Not good.

I ended up wandering over to the local rental woodshop-for-hire (the sawdust shop) here in sunnyvale and used their big Saw Stop. Wow, so much nicer.
    have you converted the saw over to 220 volts yet? it's worth getting an electrician to install it if you plan on woodworking for the long-term.

If you want to save a few bucks, those palls are real easy to make out of plain bar stock. I made some for my contractor saw.

I've also heard of grinding down the diameter of the trunnion mount bolts to allow for more side to side adjusment.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.