Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran over the router cord..

Ran over the router cord..

I was cutting a circle out with the router and came back around and ran the cord straight over.. Anybody know who fixes things like this? It is hardwired to the router unfortunately unlike my Dewalt. Could i just splice the wires back together myself and wrap it with electrical tape? or is this unsafe. Thanks so much

You can strip back the wires, and solder them back to the new, just make sure you slide on some heat shrink tubing first. (much better then electrical tape). That spot will not be as flexible as before, but should work fine.

Or, put an end on the cord there. Then use a short extension cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    ... just make sure you slide on some heat shrink tubing first ...
    Just make sure you use electrical heat shrink tubing (HST). There is HST which isn't rated as insulation for electrical connections.

Just to be a little safer, if you make your splices on each wire where they wont overlap the splices on the others you have less likely wood of causing a short if your insulation "fails".

It would also be a good opportunity to put a really short cord on the router and use an extension cord like someone else suggested. Makes storage easier!

Blog Entries
    I found the lowest cost replacement for power cords on hand tools is to go to the store and buy a heavy duty extension cord. For what ever reason you can buy the extension cords cheaper than lengths of wire and plugs alone. Cut off the receptacle end and wire the rest of the cord with the plug into the hand tool. This gives you a new cord with a molded plug. This can be somewhat harder if the manufacutrer molded the strain relief by the tool into the cord.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I cut my miter saw cord once; felt like a moron, but these things happen.

Spliced them together wrapped with electrical tape, good as new. I soldered them, but that isn't really necessary if you don't know how. The suggestion to make them at different points was a good one.

I would use 4 pieces of shrink tubing. One for each conductor and a fourth to cover the first three (just don't forget that the last one has to be slid on the cord half first, DAMHIKT).

Or just install a new plug end at the cut.

P.S. I've cut the extension cord end off three times with the hedge trimmer.

I do exactly what Lee does. I have also found that computer power-cords work well also and I seem to have quite a few of them for whatever reason so theya re convenient as well.

so do they sell plug ends at Home depot? or I can just buy an extention cord and cut the head off and use that?? does the extention cord have to be a certain kind or just the heaviest duty one i can find?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vaughn View Post
    so do they sell plug ends at Home depot? or I can just buy an extention cord and cut the head off and use that?? does the extention cord have to be a certain kind or just the heaviest duty one i can find?? thanks
    I'd think any extension cord that would have been suitable to use with the router would be fine to slice up as a replacement cord.

I pretty much always cut off the cords to my power tools and make them into "pigtails". Much easier to store that way, no winding cords each time. Unless this is a stationary machine, you typically run an extension out to it anyway. Buy a high quality plug at the Borg and re-wire!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I do exactly what Lee does. I have also found that computer power-cords work well also and I seem to have quite a few of them for whatever reason so theya re convenient as well.

Exactly what I do. I have boxes of computer cords. All different gauges. I just keep my stock up by keeping some from here at work. I have so many cords that I couldn't use them in a lifetime.

Tony

13. HA HA HA HA
    I have done that with circular saws belt sanders but I'm still working my way up to cutting through a router cord.

I see it as an opportunity to make my cord longer by splicing a length of some high grade three wire multi-strand in the cut. Solder it and tape it and forget about it. If any one asks you about it tell 'em you were sick of the short cord and wanted it longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cox View Post
    Exactly what I do. I have boxes of computer cords. All different gauges. I just keep my stock up by keeping some from here at work. I have so many cords that I couldn't use them in a lifetime.

Tony
    wow. never thought about that. i have a inherent aversion to tossing perfectly good cords ... now i have a use for them.

i have a circ saw that i cut thru manymanymany years ago, and its time to replace the job-site splice i did then ...

I agree with Russ. Cut it short and don't bother with the solder and heat shrink.

As a kid when I used to work construction I "pig tailed" all my tools and then used neon extension cords. Now in the shop I use an extension reel connected to the ceiling with my tools.

On a job site you will get made fun of by using neon extensions, but you will always know which cord is yours in a room full of extension cords, and you will be able to see it in a room that's not ideally lighted. Anyway, I use (Hubbell) Bryant or Arrow Hart 5266 plugs because I prefer round ones. Leviton also makes some yellow ones, but those are typically rectangular. I pay about $3ea in a box of 10 Bryants (more for Arrow Hart).