Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt Dw735 Surface Planer

I second the comment about the lousy location of the DC outlet, but James' suggestion is a good one.

I just bought this planer recently. It's the first one I've owned but I used my dad's Delta planer quite a bit. The Dewalt 735 is leaps and bounds better than his Delta (not sure the model # of his).
    I also read a ton of reviews and did lots of research before buying. Unless you really need a 15" or larger planer, I have a hard time seeing anybody being really disapointed with this one.

I have a DW735. Great planer, no complaints, does an incredible job of giving you a smooth surface... if you buy the OPTIONAL infeed/outfeed tables. It ejects chips like an EXTREMELY LOUD gatling gun.

Like mentioned above, unless you get it deeply discounted (like for $375 during the Amazon as 2004 DW735 sellathon...gloat), by the time you buy accessories you are within striking range of a Grizzly 15". Unless you have basement stairs to worry about, go for the Grizzly 15'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    I have a DW735. Great planer, no complaints, does an incredible job of giving you a smooth surface... if you buy the OPTIONAL infeed/outfeed tables. It ejects chips like an EXTREMELY LOUD gatling gun.

Like mentioned above, unless you get it deeply discounted (like for $375 during the Amazon as 2004 DW735 sellathon...gloat), by the time you buy accessories you are within striking range of a Grizzly 15". Unless you have basement stairs to worry about, go for the Grizzly 15'.
    My wife bought me the 735 for $325 from Amazon with free shipping...gloat),. Its a good almost portable, I use it less since getting an older delta 15" at auction. I have never had any mechanical issues with it, it makes wonderfully smooth surfaces with sharp knives. I have had issues with short blade life and wish they made carbide inserts, or at least cobalt, or something that would last a bit longer. My delta HSS knives last 4X as long taking twice as deep a pass with half the noise, so thats my go to machine now.

Yet another happy owner, as mentioned, the optional tables aren't really optional and USE HEARING PROTECTION, I've heard jet engines that were quieter.

DW735 on sale at Lowe's

Last night, I just happen to notice that Lowe's had the Dewalt DW735 marked down to $499.00 (the DW734 was $399), while on a trip to buy some other items. In addition, they are offering 10% off when you use your Lowe's credit card between 1/15/09 and 1/19/09, making my purchase price $449.10. I had been looking for a bench planer for several months now, and this one seems to suit my needs best; however, I was holding off because of the $649.00 price tag. Luckily, I just happened to have my Lowe's credit card with me, saving another trip to the store.

I use a 4" plastic street-L fit good.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rassat View Post
    I thought the same thing you did - I thought it was counterintuitive. I am like you - I am a hobbyist more concerned about making my machinery investment last than getting speed out of it!

The way the DeWalt person explained it to me, that actually taking more wood per cut will result in bigger chips, which take the heat away with them. Since fewer "swipes" are being taken at the finished piece, there is fewer times the planer blade is being dragged across the surface of the finished piece, less friction, and therefore less heat.

So, it seems that the higher amount of time spent cutting at the finishing speed creates more heat concerns than the higher amount of material removed at the dimensioning speed.

Oddly enough, the DeWalt CS person also mentioned that taking smaller passes will really not help anything regarding blade heat. That will be more important for taking care of your motor and the rest of the drivetrain.

To help me understand, Are you saying that it seems best to use the dimensioning speed as much as possible and then just a couple of finishing passes?

Thanks

Becomes academic if you can spring for the Shelix Cutter Head. Reduces noise also but costs almost as much as the planer.

gary
    Last edited by Gary Click; 01-19-2009 at 12:11 AM.

DW735 with a Byrd cutterhead

I have a DW735 that I am very satisfied with it. I added a Byrd cutterhead a few months back, and the noise issue has been drastically improved. I would highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have room for a stationary machine. As for the price (especially with the Byrd...) you can get into a large number of quality stationary machines for similar green...

I've been very satisfied with mine, but I bought it "used" (barely though) for $400 with the optional table extensions. At the current Lowe's price of $649 I would have to consider an upgrade to more stationary planer. The 735 is a very good lunchbox planner for $500 or less.