Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should a vintage miter saw and box cost?

How much should a vintage miter saw and box cost?

My wife doesn't like power tools so I was thinking of getting her a miter box for cutting basswood for carving, picture frames etc.

I saw a Miller Falls Acme(?) miter box with a Disston miter saw on the bay. It's almost $200!

I guess both the box and the saw are in really good shape, but wow. I had no idea.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I dont know but I have an older Stanley Miter box with a disston saw in very nice shape in an antique mall for $65 and it has been there for 6 months. Its clean as a whip, works great, everything is clean, saw is nice...It isnt one of those rinky dink miter boxes its one of the big cast iron ones with the sliding cams I believe a 386. I guess it just depends where your located and if there is a market for them.

Shipping is the killer on these as they way about 40lbs

On eBay they sell for maybe $35 but think shipping would be around $40 and shipping the saw would be a PITA if not in another box...
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

The MF Langdon Acme mitre box on eBay is very nice, but the price is being driven up because it is in great condition and it's also collectible.

I've bought two Langdon Acme mitre boxes recently for $60 and $15 respectively. The $15 one I bought locally. I paid $40 for shipping on the $60 one. (You're right about shipping Johnny).

My primary user is an "All Steel" made by Millers Falls. It is lighter to lug around and less fragile than the iron mitre boxes. I got it locally with a nice saw made by Disston for $35. It was missing a few doodads, but nothing I typically need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    I saw a Miller Falls Acme(?) miter box with a Disston miter saw on the bay. It's almost $200!
    That seems high to me. Unless there's something special about this one, I'd say there's some better deals to be had if you want to look a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    I dont know but I have an older Stanley Miter box with a disston saw in very nice shape in an antique mall for $65 and it has been there for 6 months. Its clean as a whip, works great, everything is clean, saw is nice...It isnt one of those rinky dink miter boxes its one of the big cast iron ones with the sliding cams I believe a 386. I guess it just depends where your located and if there is a market for them.
    I picked up one of these recently at an antique fair, possibly the same model or at least one very similar, for $65. My miter box came with what I believe to be an Atkins No.1 Mitre Saw, instead of a Disston. I suspect the one I got isn't as clean as yours, but it was in good shape and everything was still in adjustment such that it was producing 45 degree cuts that were right on the money. The saw was also in good shape and sharp. I think the combination of the miter box and saw I got for $65 was a very good deal.

Just for a reality check, what do you think it would cost to purchase a new Stanley #386 plus 26" long Disston backsaw in todays money? .....!

I'd saw that the saw alone would set you back at least $200. Double that when you include the mitre box.

What do you think?

Regards from Perth

Derek (with the slightly shorter but equally good Stanley #246 and 26" Disston)

I have a Stanley miter box you can have for the price of shipping if you really want it. It's a 358. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure it's all there. Just needs the saw, which is a different story all together...
    -Ryan C.

I've seen them ranging from $50 to $100 when on rust hunts. They typically have a 24" to 27" Disston saw whether a Stanley, Millers Falls, or other brand of Mitre Box. I got lucky and stumbled across this Millers Falls Langdon Acme at a garage sale. It has oilite bronze saw guide bushings and a 27" Disston:

I gave $10.00 for it. It cleaned up real nice and cuts well too. Keep your eyes open. Deals are out there.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

High Price

I paid $15 for a Goodell-Pratt miter saw with a 30" Disston saw at a flea market last year. $200 is waaaay too much money.

I took a look on the 'Bay at the one (I think) Gary was talking about. It's a really clean older version with a copper nameplate. The saw is really nice too.

I guessing it doesn't cut any better than the one I found.

Like others, I paid $15 for mine

They can be found occasionally at garage sales at that sort of price - or, as others have mentioned, for a little more on deBay.

I don't have enough experience to compare Millers-Falls to Stanley to Goodell Pratt. My limited experience is with a dynamite M-F Langdon Acme box, and a Goodell Pratt that turned out to be warped. The M-F box, with a Disston saw, unsharpened since I got it, is incredible - I can cut a shaving off the end of a piece of stock the thickness of the saw kerf. I highly recommend a good miter box.

I picked up a Miller's Falls miter box with a Disston saw (1920's vintage). Both the miter box and saw are in terrific shape, the saw is one of the longest back saws I've ever seen (the blade length is almost 28").

I found it on ebay and the price was only $9.00, but shipping was $50 from Hawaii...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

This is one I have just recently finished restoring ,a Stanley 346 with a 28" Disston saw.
    BTW if any one knows what purpose the little round plate to the right of the saw in the board serves I would be grateful.
    It has a 1/4 thread through the center and is held by two countersunk screws.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin Brenton; 06-24-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Kevin - Nice Job with your Mitre Saw. I was going to leave mine alone after I cleaned it up but now I'm tempted to do a full scale restoration.

I think the round plate was an anchor for a sliding stop. A screw went through a slot in the stop and was tightened to hold it in place for multiple cuts.

Gary, this one http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...2&d=1172114882 followed me home for $35.00. Stanley 356 complete with the extensions and 28" saw. Nasty dirty and rusty at purchase but after a little TLC a pretty user.

I've watched them on EBay for a couple of years and the prices are all over. One google search turned up one in an antique shop in New Hampshire for $500! Asking price of course.

Enjoy the chase.

Tom, in Houston, using his 356 to cut pen blanks.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.