Thread: art festivals vs fine art festivals

art festivals vs fine art festivals

are you a vendor? this is my second year, and i'm seeing a big difference in the fine art fairs and the more casual festival/fair with art, fine crafts (not country crafts) and music. it seems no one is buying at the fine art fairs. People seem to buy more at the festivals.

any similar experiences? is it the economy? the younger crowd?

I just did a fine art fair at an upscale outdoor mall. it was depressing to see more people walking around with bags from the box stores than bags from the vendors. it was depressing...

I'll let you know in a month or so, when they have the biggest fine arts event. I do expect that the economy will reduce the sales of high-end items.

I was just talking to the director of a local farmer's market, and she is trying to find more vendors that sell the less expensive craft items for that reason, people seem willing to spend $10-50 but not $200+.

At the one we went to Saturday people were buying up produce like it was going out of style, but very few bought the crafts, fine or otherwise.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I am doing a combo Farmers and Art Market. So far this year, my customers are buying $25.00 to $100.00 pieces, So that's what I'm making, with a few higher priced ones for a Fine ART, Fine Craft show in the fall.

Fuel cost, etc. has put a crunch on their spending.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

my partner is at a "festival" this weekend, just called, and has already made more money that we did at a whole weekend at a "Fine art fair"

same stuff, different audience, environment, community, demographic... who knows... i'm just happy this weekend is better than last!