Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Job Site Saw

Best Job Site Saw

I need to purchase a table saw that has the best mobility, best fence, and best all around table saw that I can load in my truck and take to a job site to get the work done quickly and accurately. Anybody have any ideas?

re: portable table saw

I purchased the Ridgid ts2410 for the same purpose. I have had it for only about 2 months but it seems great so far. Decent table and fence and has a stand with wheels. I hit a sale at Home Depot and got it for about $350. I have also heard good things about the Bosch portable. I have used a Dewalt and it was great also....solid fence that adjusts to cut large sheet goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard View Post
    I need to purchase a table saw that has the best mobility, best fence, and best all around table saw that I can load in my truck and take to a job site to get the work done quickly and accurately. Anybody have any ideas?

Greg,

I've tried most of the popular ones and for a table saw, the DeWalt is the best. The Fence is great, power is adequate, and cut quality is decent. My complaint with it is weight. That is true of all of the better "Portables" except some of the Makitas but then you hacve limited capacity and a poor fence.

About 2 years ago, I quit using a job site table saw and started using an "EZ Smart" rail system on site. It is easy to transport, highly accurate, good cut quality and just a joy to use. In fact I am using the rail system more and more in the shop.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Waddell View Post
    Greg,

I've tried most of the popular ones and for a table saw, the DeWalt is the best. The Fence is great, power is adequate, and cut quality is decent. My complaint with it is weight. That is true of all of the better "Portables" except some of the Makitas but then you hacve limited capacity and a poor fence.

About 2 years ago, I quit using a job site table saw and started using an "EZ Smart" rail system on site. It is easy to transport, highly accurate, good cut quality and just a joy to use. In fact I am using the rail system more and more in the shop.

Burt
    Same here.
    Dale

During our addition construction, everyone...and I do mean everyone...who brought a table saw on-site was using the Dewalt.

I do feel compelled to mention that the recent Bosch machine with the riving knife looks pretty interesting for this class machine, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Greg-

I've been using the Jet for about a year and a half and would recommend it. The saw is light at only 50lbs. I was using a bosch but prefer a lighter saw in and out of the truck. Also, this saw has a small belt drive so its a bit quieter than most jobsite saws and the cuts are smooth. The height and bevel adjustment gears are all metal as well, unlike a lot of these saws which have plastic components. I use the saw in a Rousseau stand but the saw's fence is adequate. I never really liked the R&P fence on the dewalts.

In a year and a half the saw has performed flawlessly.
    Matt

NO DOUBT

The Dewalt.
    No only lightweight, but powerful and accurate.

Don't get the Rigid -
    Just try to drag that out of your truck into the jobsite, up the stairs, then down again at quittin time, by yourself.
    Last edited by Matt Ocel; 06-20-2008 at 4:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've know people who swear by the dwalt, however after using the Bosch it's the closest you can get to a contractor saw in a portable.

Well, as a Ridgid TS2400 owner, I can heartily recommend it. It has the best fence in the class. Better than DeWalt, better than Bosch. It has a soft-start motor.

You have to decide what your priorities are. For me, I wanted a really capable saw that also was mobile. I will rarely load it up in my car, for instance. I could do it, but it would not be quick or easy.

The DeWalt is much more mobile & light, but when looking at it in the store, I didn't see any way to tweak the fence adjustment with regards to parallel-ness to the miter slots and blade. On the flipside, lots of folks (mostly carpenters) are happy with it because it is so small & light.

The Bosch fence doesn't have as many locking bolts, and there are some reports of the table not being flat. Also, it is $100-200 more expensive.

Only the Bosch & Ridgid have soft-start, which is nice when you have to use the saw with an extension cord. (there's not much voltage drop during start-up with a soft-start design)

Jeremy -
    Actually the main reason I went Dewalt was the fence.
    I'm going to give this one the "different stokes deal"

I have the Dewalt and I like it alot. But, I was working on a job with a friend who had just bought the Rigid and it was way more powerful than mine. We were cutting 1" plywood, my saw bogged every once in a while, his never did. His saw had a wheeled base which made it a breeze to get it around.

Saws not to get: Makita 2703. Useless fence, non standard miter slot that can't accept an aftermarket miter gauge, poor blade to miter slot parallelism (on my saw). I gave mine away. Dewalt, Bosch, or Ridgid are the best.

No complaints with the Bosch I have. It seemed to be the one I liked most when kicking tires at Home Depo.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

14. I've had the bosh for about 7-8 years,love it!
    About 2 years ago,i added the gravity rise stand,A MUST HAVE!
    Never had any problem,exept for brushes and bearings replacment.
    I've also used the dewalt,it's ok but not great. Under power,and i just could not deal with that fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dunn jr View Post
    I have the Dewalt and I like it alot. But, I was working on a job with a friend who had just bought the Rigid and it was way more powerful than mine. We were cutting 1" plywood, my saw bogged every once in a while, his never did. His saw had a wheeled base which made it a breeze to get it around.
    Bill....I can't help but think that blade and alignment are big factors in the "perceived power" equation. The motor power should be fairly close.

As far best jobsite saws go....there are currently two different contractor crews working on two different houses in my neighborhood...both crews are sporting DW saws.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....