Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 1/2" angle grinder preferences?

4 1/2" angle grinder preferences?

I am looking to get a small angle grinder and my research has narrowed it down to Bosch, Makita or maybe a Dewalt. I will use it for some grinding but also maybe some woodcarving/sculpting. Also some occasional tile cutting. Any preferences or suggestions? Would a 7-8 amp model be sufficient? Those seem pretty reasonably priced from what I have found.
    Thanks,
    Ben

41/2" Angle grinders

I don't have a particular preference but I do have a cautionary story. About ayear ago I investigated a serious accident involving a 41/2" angle grinder. Without going into all the bloody details, the primary cause was the switch design. There are 2 types of switches for these tools, one type has a typical push button to lock the switch on. The other type locks on by rocking the switch down into the tool body as you slide it up. With this design it is too esy to lock the tool on inadvertently. Most of the manufacturers offer either type of switch. Based on the accident I investigated, I wouldn't have one with the slide switch. It's too easy to leave the tool on.

I got the Dewalt D28402, never have had a power problem. I cut a lot of tile, cement board, gind off bolts.

I feel confident and would recommend the D28402.

I have the Ridgid unit. The head is an exact duplicate of the Metabo grinder. I have seen mentioned the Metabo builds this, but maybe only the gearing head. I've used mine hard and it works great. Torquey little thing. Stay away from the little cheap units. I had one catch on fire while standing on a 6' ladder using it!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have a Dewalt. I can't remember the model, but it does a great job.

Hard to beat Metabo when it comes to grinders, but I know they're not inexpensive. I don't know if it's still the case, but some years ago they had enough market control that they were the only brand of anything with virtually no discounting.

Hilti and Metabo make high quality small grinders. Some of the models have a brake which is a great safety feature. Make sure you at least get vtc and a good clutch, these are very dangerous tools if they get away from you.

Dan

I have two of the $18.99 Harbor Freight ones and one DeWalt that is something like 9 amp. I use the Dewalt with a wire cup and for most grinding, but the other two perform admirably as well. I originally bought one of the $50 Dewalts and took it back because the Harbor Freight ones were just as powerful and you can buy almost 3 for the same price. I consider them to be one of those Harbor Freight gems.

I have been using a Bosch at work for about three years now. One of the best I have ever used.

I also think you should buy a grinder based on switch design. They're not complicated animals, and the diffs between brands are negligible besides switches.

The BORG's are constantly running clearance sales on Dewalt and Makita AG's . I'd get one of those; you'll probably end up with a free 12v driver or corded drill or palm sander to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    Make sure you at least get vtc and a good clutch, these are very dangerous tools if they get away from you.

Dan

I have used several different grinders and never seen or heard of a clutch on a grinder. What brand did you see that on?

I have a Dewalt and have been pleased with it for the many years I've been using it for things appropriate to its capabilities. Noisy bugger, however! (Nature of the beast....)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Never never buy a angle grinder with a slide on off switch. Buy only a trigger switch style angle grinder. If for some reason you lose control or lose your grip on the grinder the slide style grinder will keep right on running a do who knows what damage to you or someone standing near by... not to mention anything else that gets in the way.

I have the Sears professional 4" angle grinder & it take a lickin & keeps on tickin. I used work in a sheet metal shop both light & heavy metal... commercial kitchen hoods & other custom kitchen items as well as plywood plant repairs & blow pipe. We used Sears 4" professional grinders & they held up well. Mine will even run on 12 volts. Of course we did have 9" grinders too.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Smile Milwaukee & Metabo

Milwaukee & Metabo is the best hands down . . . . it is the choice of most pipe-fitters here in the PetroChem industrial corridor . . . I doubt seriously you will ever use or abuse a 4 1/2" grinder as badly as a pipe-fitter. DO NOT get anything but a paddle or trigger style switch . . . .

With a knotted wire wheel mounted a "little 4 1/2" grinder" will suck the shirt off of you and enough skin to keep the ER busy trying to figure the best way to put you back together again . . .

(First hand knowledge on the above)

"Curley"
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I suggest you decide how much you'll be using the grinder in a single streatch of time. If you'll only be using it for 15 minutes or less at a time then an inexpensive grinder is fine. However, it you are going to be using is for an hour or so at a time then you'll want a unit that is low on vibration and comfortable to control. I have a few that I paid about $20.00 for and I use then to cut bricks, concrete sidding, or whatever. When I'm cutting expensive tile or using it to cut copes for trim I use a much more expensive grinder. The cheaper tools will wear quicker, cutting brick and concrete creates dust that is hard on the internals and the cheaper ones aren't as well protected against dust and dirt, even when I use the compressor to blow them out frequently. I have a Flex and a Metabo that are smooth, easy to handle, have anti kick back clutches, and don't have a lot of wobble or vibration. The cheap units, as I said purchased for less than $20.00, are throw aways and aren't comfortable to use for more than a few minutes at a time.