Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 1/2" angle grinder preferences?

Cotton tail or Lepard?

P.S. got my dewalt 3 years ago, I run it hard, and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW - The big orange retail giant had them on sale a couple weeks ago.
    2 - 4 - 1.
    I had to ask myself - Why would you want two? Peculiar sale I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    I had to ask myself - Why would you want two? Peculiar sale I thought.
    If you are doing welding, multiples is very handy--one with a grinding wheel and one with a grinding disc (like heavy-duty sandpaper) or flap disc. Plus you might use a knotted cup and a cutoff wheel somewhere in there.

I have a 4.5" Ryobi that is still kicking after 3 or 4 years.

I have two B&D Industrial ones that are almost THIRTY years old. Same basic machine as the DeWalts. I can't kill them. Only repair was to replace a cord end that got damaged. Used both of them today to clean up before and after some welding.

Am I the only one that has a Porter-Cable? Since it's the only one I've ever used, I really can't say if it is good or bad compared to others, but it has worked fine for me. Has a good solid feel to it and is easy to mount handle to operator's preference. Also has a trigger "paddle" type switch with a spring-loaded safety tab in the paddle, which strikes me as a good combination from a safety standpoint. It shuts down when dropped, is difficult to turn on accidentally, yet the safety is not so cumbersome that it makes the tool difficult to use. My only complaint is that the wrench used to change wheels has no way of being attached to the tool and on the rare occasions when I use the grinder, I always have to hunt for the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I have two B&D Industrial ones that are almost THIRTY years old. Same basic machine as the DeWalts. I can't kill them. Only repair was to replace a cord end that got damaged. Used both of them today to clean up before and after some welding.
    30 years? A very good time...

Blog Entries
    This is an old thread, but I’d be curious if anyone had used Sohner, a German tool brand. Metabo used to be the go-to but they don’t appear to be the same as they were when I last used them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It depends on use. My welding crews get metabo. They are 3-4 times the price of many but last 10 times longer under hard use. If its for the house you can get away with anything. I have a bunch of bosch's laying around that have held up pretty well. and i believe they were 40 a piece. Like anything else the guys usually remove the guards. I wouldnt do that if you werent comfy with it

I use mine mostly on welding projects, althogh I do have diamond wheels for them. I have a Metabo that I’ve had for over 30 yrs and it has been excellent. I kinda limit it to wire brush duty now. My go to grinder is the Makita 9564 CV. It was pricey as I recall, but at 14.3 watts, it never bogs down. Do check the wattage on your choices. It does make a difference. Under powered grinders are a pitn. I have the 7” Makita for serious work.

have three Makitas and die grinders and other air stuff. Of the makitas the one i use most often is the only one with a speed control. I like to slow them down then go up to what I need, get better control that way. Often dont need them running on full speed. Milwaukee has a battery powered one id like to try but no speed control didnt look at it till they ad that.

My Harbor Freight ( Drill Master) one is at least 10 years old & still going strong.
    I bought it as a one time use type of tool and found out how handy it is to have around.

They had them on some kind of super sale a year or so ago so I bought another one - just so I have a backup in the event I'm in the middle of something when this one dies.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Metabo used to be the go-to but they don’t appear to be the same as they were when I last used them.
    The big issue with Metabo is that they have diluted their brand with the Hitachi Power Tool name. When you see Metabo HPT it is not the same tool as Metabo.

I bought my first years ago to cut ceramic tile. I think it came from Northern Hydraulic and was about $20. I figured the tile dust would ruin the bearings and it would be a throw away. Still works fine. It's probably 20 years old. I bought another cheap HF unit to have a flapper wheel on so I don't have to change. It is lighter duty but works fine for a flapper wheel.

More recently I got a 7 inch and 4.5 inch cordless Milwaukee. They are now my favorites. Not sure I will cut tile with them any time soon, however. The smaller one is the most useful - the big one is a beast but that is not usually what I need. The smaller one came with 5 amp hour batteries which really increase the weight. Hasn't bothered me enough to get some small ones, however.

IMHO, a right angle grinder is pretty hard to mess up and about any brand (even HF) will work just fine. I would get a battery powered one that uses the batteries you already have.

Metabo HPT is not a Metabo !

Real Metabo grinders still say Metabo only and are made in Germany. For the most part anyway. They’ve branched out with Chinese manuf. for a few pieces.

The stone top guys I see like Makita grinders. The shop metalworkers seem to prefer DeWalt , but I’ve never asked why. Site metalworkers use Metabo. I like Metabo best , but must say I have a Ryobi that was purchased on an out of town job when we forgot the Metabo. That was 10-12 years ago and it’s still running great. Use it for the really crappy small jobs like tuck pointing, floor grinding, slab and brick cutting ect.. Can’t seem to kill the thing , though I have replaced the brushes once. Gets loaned out too. Quite surprised , as I got it as a throwaway for a one time use. Go figure.

I don't use a grinder a lot. I got the DeWalt cordless and have been satisfied.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.