Thread: Big, BIG Gloat

Big, BIG Gloat

I've been offline for a while, mostly because we moved in December and our new house, until a couple of weeks ago, didn't have high-speed internet available yet (we live out of town a good bit). Progress has overtaken us now, and I'm back in the saddle!

As you may remember, I had a choice to make about a bandsaw purchase (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76869). I ended up getting the old PM 81 (see attached pic), based on everyone's advice here and the price...which was $0. My brother-in-law, scavenger extraordinaire, found the saw at a school shop that was closing down and got the saw for "almost nothing." He owes me big, so his payback was to just give me the thing.

The saw works great as is, with a 220v 2 hp motor, and I've already done some cutting with it. Nevertheless, I am planning on a restoration project on the entire machine with the exception, perhaps, of the bearings. I know some folks at Old Woodworking Machines advocate always changing the bearings on old machines. On the other hand, I have some pretty skilled mechanics and machinists in my family that recommend, with bearings, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, that's a 20" Harbor Freight DP next to the saw. That's the first and last Harbor Freight machine I plan to buy, but the price was right (got it at an estate auction), and many here have said that drill presses are the best tools that HF has to offer. Anyway, it seems like a pretty solid machine, and it's a no-brainer at $200.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

"Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Yup...that's a BIG gloat for sure! Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's one sweet SAW! your going to love it!

Congratulations that is a Nice Saw!
    I would replace the Bearings. Whenever I replace old, seemingly good bearings curiosity gets me and I open them up. The grease in old bearings has the consistency of crumbly wax. The carrier evaporates and just leaves the solids, not good for high speed lubrication.
    Robert

Nice saw, worth having people owe you money. Post the restore process. Powermatic should be green.

It's unfortunate the saw came from a school shop closing down.

But great that you caught a deal on it. A very good deal.

I have a HF 17" drill press for 6 years now and not a single problem. I check the run out every now and then and it has not moved since I picked it up. Very good deal in my opinion.

I agree with you about the school shop but, in this case, it isn't as bad as it sounds. It came from a tiny country high school that shut down completely. Those kids now go to the larger high school in the county, where they have a huge shop program.

Glad to hear about your good experience with the HF drill press. Hopefully I'll have the same luck.

I will keep everyone updated on the restore. I've already gotten the paint mixture for this era Powermatic from OWWM. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I go along, too.

I'm guessing you and your BiL both made out like bandits. You got a saw worth more than what he owed and he got you a saw paying less.