Thread: Foam Panel Adhesive?

Foam Panel Adhesive?

I picked up 1" blue foam insulating panels to put on the ceiling joists in my shop. I'm going to first run furring strips perpendicular to the joists which run lengthwise to maintain an 3/4" airgap from the eave to the ridge vent.

My question is what adhesive would you suggest to attach the panels to the furring strips?

Is there a better way to attach the panels to the strips?

Thanks for your help!

Fred

screws with flat washers ???

I would think liquid nails or PL construction adhesive would work pretty well and also help block air migration.

Loctite PowerGrab works real well for a lot of that type of stuff.

Hello,
    Loctite PowerGrab works real well for a lot of that type of stuff.
    PG rocks.
    It's become my go-to stickerupper.

What I really like about it is that it has a lot of tack to hold stuff in place.
    Liquid nails & PL are good adhesives, but they aren't real tacky.

If it were me hanging 1" foam overhead, I'd run a bead of PG, then crank up the compressor and tack the corners & center w/1 1/4" staples
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Hi please make sure to use latex based glue or adhesive caulk petroluem based products are not compatable and will dissolve the foam. sometimes experience is the best teacher.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Speaking from experience on non water base adhesives and non water base spray paint, Jay is sure right on the dissolved foam board. Big indentations develope as the foam board dissolves.
    David B

Go geta couple cans of "great stuff" spray foam insulation at the big orange retail giant.

Cut your foam to fit as close as possible and use the foam as the adhesive, it works great and won't react with the foam board.

We use tons of foam in the movies, we use 3M formula 77 spray adhesive. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...er-77/Super77/

if you follow the instructions and let it flash before sticking the 2 surfaces together, its not coming down..... ever.