Thread: Which Plunge Router?

Which Plunge Router?

I'm getting ready to finally get to our kitchen table. It will be maple with a walnut border all the way around. I want to inlay a 1/2" piece of walnut into the top making a second border about 6 inches in.

To do this, I think a plunge router would be my best option (and good reason to get a new tool). So what do you recommend?

I already own a hitachi M12V in my router table and fixed based 1.5 HP and 3 HP sears routers (which actually work well). I'm looking for something much lighter than both the 3 HP ones and will be used for hand-held work only. It will probably replace my 1.5 HP sears router (it's old and I don't like the depth adjustment on it), so is it really necessary to have a fixed base for it? Are there any disadvantages to using a plunge like a fixed base unit?

Thanks for your input.

Porter-Cable always gets my vote for routers...their new 890-series might be the ticket for you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A good source of info is www.patwarner.com

If it were me and I wanted a med heft Plunge Router, I would go for Dewalts' 2HP or DW621. The plunge is great and the micro adjust is very nice. Bill
    Professional Woodworker, Amateur BSer

Don,
    I'd have to go for the DW 621 as well. Seems to always get high marks on smoothness of plunge and the fine adjust works well. I've got the DW625 and love it but it is a little heavier. The only complaint I've seen on the DW621 is that the dust collection while working ok can kind of whistle.

Another choice might be one of the DW combo packs. I think they come with a little bigger motor than the 621 but have the same plunge base plus the fixed base.

Dean

Don, Everyone's Going To

chime in with their favourites, so it's best to get over to a store where you can actually pick up, touch, feel etc. all the routers you're reading of.
    A router has to FEEL right. The handles have to work for YOU. Getting to switches, controls and the height adjustment has to make sense for how you work.
    Having said all that:
    Bosch routers have their fans.
    Porter-Cable has their fans - the new 890-series routers looks appealing.
    All of my routers are Makita products.
    My medium weight plunge is part of the 11-series kit.
    I LOVE it.
    Good weight. Controls are logical for my brain.
    Smooth plunge. Smooth start. Smooth stop.
    Not as loud/noisy as other brands.
    Hope this helps.
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Howard is right...you should see what feels best to you if you have the opportunity.

The DW621 has a reputation as being about the slinkiest plunger for a fixed format machine. I have the DW618 kit (review on my site) and find it to be almost as good. The new PC890 kit that Chris mentions is the other one to look at closely...getting nice kudos out there. I happen to prefer the kits with the interchangable bases as I consider them more versatile. There are some operations where a fixed base is just plain better for stability reasons and having that nice 12 amp VS motor in either base is a pleasure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don,

I'm a big fan of Bosch routers and have been for years but I recently purchased the DW616 kit at a local show. The price was right and I wasn't looking for a lot of power, just a well balanced machine for hand work, I normally use a Bosch 1604. I found that the DW616 bases are interchangable with both my Bosch 1.75 hp routers which adds flexibility. I really like the DW detachable cords.

Howard, thanks. I know that everyone has their favorite and was hoping, as I have gotten, specific reasons why someone likes their favorite (or dislikes another brand). I most certainly will put my hands on them and check the feel. But what I want others to qualify is the performance of the units.

Going into this the PC690 and DW621 were my top choices and seem to still be there as no one has anything negative to report of them. That leaves the final decision to feel and price (feel being more important, as the price is very close).

Thanks again.