Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Morris Chair project

A little more progress

Not a lot of progress over the last few days. Too much grass to cut (5 acres) and not enough shop time. At least on the prairies we don't have to deal with all the humidity that Mr. Casa has to...

Anyway found a little time for some more slats.
    These ones are for one of the ottomans, 3/8" thick. One piece cut into 3 so we have the grain match. In the pic the ones on the left don't seem to have any fleck but it just my camera abilities.....

Morris chair and ottoman 015.jpg

As you can see I kind of bounce around a little. But the plan will come together.

Nathan,

Did you get your problem resolved with your mortiser?

More progress here, too

So yeah, Gary. I got lots of help on the mortiser in the General thread. Seems like I was doing a couple of things wrong, and I've got a checklist for next time. Luckily I was able to finish the legs up with a limping mortiser, even if it was a bit time-consuming. The mortises need a little cleanup to straighten them out - can't use them straight out of the mortiser. The bulk of the work is done, though.

I've been using test pieces -- and I'm awfully glad I am. I ruined one of them while test-chamfering the bottom of the legs. The Bosch laminate trimmer depth collar was set a little loose, and the bit slipped down a good 1 1/2" inches, digging into - and ruining - the test piece. I spent a few minutes getting the collar all good and tight before I worked on the good pieces.

My wife threw a hand in last night and helped me get all the wood laid out and marked up for the rest of the pieces last night, then she handed me pieces in correct orientation to machine all of the upper and lower chair sides. I got those all cut to size and oriented so that the faces from the upper rails come from the same piece and orient the same direction as the armrests - stuff like that. These are details I'd never considered on another project, and I think will make the difference between a "finished" project and a "Well-finished" project I can be proud of. And, she encouraged me to describe to her how I'd figured that the arm slats, if resawn out of the same 6/4 piece, will really be bookmatches of each other all along the side. I've not yet decided how exactly I want to orient them, but the pieces are all marked up and ready for resawing. I wish there were an even number on each side of the large slat. Design change?

I plan to change the large side slat cutout somewhat. I don't have a scroll saw any longer, so either I'll find someone who has one, or come up with a slightly tamer design -- something easy to do with the plunge router and a template?

Anyhow. Still working when I can, when not crawling under the house to repair copper plumbing being eaten by our well, or mowing, or working. The next step is to start looking into the arm rests, and the MDF template for those guys. I'll do a test armrest and see how that comes out so I don't have any surprises.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Cool I'll be along soon...

Looking good men,
    There was a scene in 'Jaws' where Richard Dryfus is frantically tying barrels onto the rope,
    and the Sheriff is trying to shoot it into the approaching monster...
    (in my best Richard Dryfus voice)
    'Don't you wait for me'

As soon as I can steal some time, I now have a second window a/c to try to cool
    my loft shop. I hope the pair can make things workable, if not comfortable.
    I find it dangerous sweating into my eyes, tarred and feathered with sawdust, and dripping on cast iron machines.
    I will start my chair and then make a post within the next few days, or die trying!
    Don't wait up for me, I will be along...

I have been following your posts with growing excitement, and cannot wait to make some sawdust myself!
    Nathan, I do find mortiser chisels can get grabby on the way back out.
    It varies with different species. I use paraffin wax all the time anymore.
    Melts onto a hot chisel nicely, and quiets any screeching to boot. uggh

Gary seems to be making steady progress. Myself, I am not sure yet if I will
    do the center slat cut-outs...still time for me to figure it out.
    With any luck Dewey and I will have some progress posts to share any day now...

Thanks to Dave, Bill and George for posting their Morris chairs for our benefit.
    And thanks to all contributors to this thread,
    stay cool,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Moving Forward

Good Day to the Creek.

Well I finally have all the legs made!

Before the veneers are glued on I made sure I had a flat and smooth surface. My # 8 made easy work of this.

Morris chair and ottoman 065.jpg

All the 1/16" veneers that were ripped on the table saw. They start out about 1/4" oversized to make glue up a lot easier. A couple of extra were made just in case...

Morris chair and ottoman 067.jpg

Starting to clean the edges with my 4 1/2. I used the bench plane as it will do both sides at the same time.

Morris chair and ottoman 072.jpg

For final trimming of the veneer a 60 1/2 came in handy.

Morris chair and ottoman 074.jpg

All the edges for the chair legs finally done. Not a lot of noise in the shop as this was being done.

Morris chair and ottoman 080.jpg

Moving Forward

Here are a couple of shots of the finished edges of the legs.

Morris chair and ottoman 077.jpg Morris chair and ottoman 078.jpg

Next is to get them into the mortiser to do a few deep holes....

Nice job on the legs Gary! I think I may follow your technique... seems like a practical way to go - thanks for the photos!

A bit of a delay do to the LOML

Well, in an effort to NOT to leave the group hanging I am posting to say that I have been ordered to finish the dreaded back yard landscape that has somehow alluded us despite our efforts, since we moved here in Aug 2006.

We have been chipping away at it but can I say eating the elephant one forkful at a time makes you quit to go to the bathroom quite often. The growing season around here is a short 4 months and I guess she is right. I will be posting pics of my non morris chair/ non woodworking project in the weekend accomplishments section by Karl Laustrup.

I have hauled 6 tons of breeze and 2 tons of rock so far, plus planted about 20 or so plants with landscape fabric and mulch... working on a retaining wall too. Man I am pooped!

Hope to get back to the easy stuff soon
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 07-27-2008 at 3:15 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

^^ I feel your pain, Dewey. BTW, I've been in my house over seven years and have yet to landscape my back yard.

I'm stymied on the tenons, guys

Ok, SO.

I'm done with the legs, aside from some cleaning up of the mortises. I'm starting to work on the tenons, and I'm stymied. I'm not sure of the approach, and the test pieces I put together sort of fit. Nothing fancy - nothing to be proud of.

What's the order of steps, here? My plan was to cut the tenons slightly (like 1/64th on each side) over, and use a sanding block, maybe to make the fit perfect? But that leaves a lot to be desired. If any of the mortises aren't perfect (Which...none are) I'm going to have issues with seating at the shoulders and a good tight fit on the visible end.

I tried one test where I cut the tenon nearly 1/16" strong on each side, then, after it was cleaned up, used the marking knife and traced AROUND the outside of the already cut mortise, then cleaned up to the mark with a chisel and a clamped-on guide block. That seems to have the most promise, but that's a LOT of work. Each will have to be cut by hand, and the test took close to an hour to get an only decent fit. I don't mind, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some easy solution. That's a good 40-hour week to get them all fitting well.

On the other hand, are these SUPPOSED to fit beautifully? Is there supposed to be a slight gap/play that will be firmed up/swollen to fit with the glue or is that acceptable? I've never done these before, so I'm not sure which approach is best. I can cut them all to 1/2" and just tap them in, but I'm afraid the marks left by the mortiser will be so visible as to take away from the whole point of doing these in the first place. Maybe the mortiser shouldn't have left scallop marks because it was set up incorrectly, and now I've got to pay for it?

Any thoughts, guys?

Nathan,

Going threw the 2 1/4'" is going to be a tall order.. Keeping everything true for the mortises is only the first problem. Next is the tenons. making them so they are going to fit tight but still will go together. Now one has to have them all go together so the shoulders sit thight against the leg.

It all depends on your definition of beautiful... If you want a sweet looking fit that gives you the look go with a faux thru tenons. It will take a little time but your finished product will look great.

As a matter of fact mine may be that way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Conner View Post
    I've never done these before, so I'm not sure which approach is best. I Maybe the mortiser shouldn't have left scallop marks because it was set up incorrectly, and now I've got to pay for it?

Any thoughts, guys?
    Nate,
    Your mortising bit should not leave scallop marks. If you use a hollow chisel mortiser right out of the box it will though (every time).

David Marks taught me this trick:

Take the bit out of the mortising chisel and hold it at a right angle to the grinder. The flat part at the very end of the bit (which cuts), is ground by lightly turning the bit so that you take just a hair off all the way around. Take light passes and reload the bit into the mortiser, test on a piece of scrap until the scallop marks are gone. This effectively reduces the diameter of the cutter which is what is causing scallops. Be carful not to take too much off or the auger will not properly lift chips though the chisel as it cuts.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 07-28-2008 at 3:42 PM.
    Dewey

Morris Chair Complete!

Well,
    I know it wasn't a race, but I have completed my Morris Chair! OK, I did start in December.
    Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pics, especially since I did it out of cherry instead of the traditional QSWO.
    I completed the upholstery last weekend. I never thought I would use vinyl, but I did. I remember proclaiming that a chair of this complexity and beauty deserved leather, but I succumbed to price pressures. A hide or two of leather is pretty darn expensive and some of the vinyls I found are really nice. I used a brand name called "Whisper". It is really soft - not plasticy at all. I bought from a chain fabric store - Hancock Fabrics. They had a special last Saturday and I bought 4 yards (plenty) for a total of $38 ($9.50/yd). That's alot cheaper that a hide or two. If I decide to upgrade to leather later, I can call the vinyl $38 worth of practice!
    The actual upholstery was easier than I thought it would be. The plans I used were shown in issue 155 of Woodsmith magazine. I actually purchased the plans from www.plansnow.com for $9.95. They are really good plans. Anyway, Woodsmith has a video on their site that anyone can view. It shows how to make the cushions - the directions are clear and make it pretty straight forward. Here's the link: http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/155/...ding-cushions/
    Good luck to all participating. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'd also like to thank all the help I got during my eight month quest (mostly finishing questions).
    Regards,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Makes total sense

It makes perfect sense. I just wish I'd known that before cutting all...what...28 mortises?

Oh, well. I'll figure something out.They say the sign of a decent woodworker is that he can repair mistakes. I call baloney on that, because I spend the majority of my time figuring out how to repair mistakes, and I don't feel decent.

My options are - make them slightly larger, clean them up and cut the tenons by hand, split the tenons inside the legs to make fitting easier, or make a false tenon end cap outside each. I'll do some tests and get cranking on whatever looks best.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll go grind down my bits when I get home. Carefully. Next time I'll know better. Hey. I learned something. Can't be all that bad.

Good Day to the Creek!

Well the ottoman legs have a few holes in them...

As there is going to be alot of hole punching I wanted to make sure my chisel was up to the task. A little jig for the drill press makes this job quite easy.

Morris chair and ottoman 108.jpg

I made up a couple of story sticks to make the layout a little quicker.

Morris chair and ottoman 114.jpg

Here are the ottoman legs. Just a little clean up and they will be ready to go.

Morris chair and ottoman 004.jpg

Morris chair and ottoman 008.jpg

Next on the agenda are all the rails and strechers..

I now will concentrate on the ottomans and the chairs will be on the back burner for awhile.....

Last edited by gary Zimmel; 07-29-2008 at 8:25 PM.

Looking good Gary!
    Dewey