Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Morris Chair project

Time for a little leg glue up. My legs will be 2 pieces @ 1 1/8" to make my 2 1/4" and 1/16" veneers that will give me the looks of 1/4 sawn on all 4 sides. At 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" these will be chuncky little legs.

Morris chair and ottoman 044.jpg Morris chair and ottoman 045.jpg

Next will be getting the 1/16" veneers on.

Enlargements from the book - specs and cost

So, I went in to a local printing company here in Portland today after work, and for $25, got a pair of enlargements from the drawings.

The enlargements, in case it helps anyone, are perfect at 400%. The place that did it was great and did all of the work in just a few minutes. It was the fourth place I visited, though. Everyone else had no large format printer and would have had to send away for the work.

If anyone's interested and has trouble getting to a place to do them, I'm happy to help out, just IM me. Given the simplicity of the drawings, though, should be a breeze to make something yourself, or draw arcs with a piece of hardboard or something if you're adventurous.

Also, there was a minimum order of 2 on any of this sort of work, and I only need one of these sets - my wife wants to laminate them to keep them safe and sound. If anyone is having trouble finding local services for this, and you're willing to pay whatever the shipping charge is, I'm happy to roll one of these up and get it to you.

I'm happy to do it for everyone, actually, but this first one is free. I didn't ask, but i think they totaled about $9 each set if you do more than 3 or 4 at a time. If there's interest, I can get them to anyone within a couple of days, or faster if you want to pay for expeditious shipping.

They look great, though. Plenty big and great to get a sense of perspective on the arm rails. I'll post photos of them in my album.

And Dewey Is Off!!!

Called around today and got a great price on lumber. I am using QSWO and I got it for just 9.49 bdft...

Ok not really but that was the first quote. I couldn't believe it. I had found it for 5.50 earlier but I waited to long and alas, it was gone when I got ready to purchase.

Back to the drawing board, I called one local supplier and was quoted 9.49 bdft. I almost vomited, thanked him for his time, and promptly dialed the next number. Next supplier had plenty for 6.00 bdft... ok, now we are talking.

I got 30 bdft of 4/4 QSWO, 20 bdft of 6/4 QSWO, and 10 bdft of flat sawn white oak.

I got home tonight and unloaded it onto my bench. I will post pics to my album as Gary Z. did.

Also, I was asked earlier about how I plan to do the slats via M&T joinery or with spacers. I am trying to be as traditional as I possibly can with the build on this so the answer (for now) is M&T. It will be a lot of tenons so it may wind up more than I want to take on. Time will tell.

One thing the group will learn about me is, I tend to change my mind on how I build things many times throughout a project, even with plans.
    Sometimes this is to make things easier and sometimes to please my tastes. Not too many of the "please my tastes" options wind up the easier way, but they usually make Dewey a whole lot happier in the end.

I will waiver from the plans form time to time and I will document when I do and whether it paid off. Creekers will be the judge as to the end result. Even though, the chair will not look radically different from the rest.

Hey, Walt said there are no rules!

Play ball!

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Let's think about this...

In keeping with the no rule policy...here's just a suggestion....
    I made this a sticky so it would be easy to follow. There seems to be a trend to "post pictures on my album". IMHO...I don't like that. It causes people to go from the thread to find pictures. How about posting at least a few pictures on the thread...and the rest in your albums. Then at least it will cut down on the need for some people...especially those with slow connections...to go looking.

One more thing...you can link/show your pictures in your album by adding the picture using the "Insert Image" button (little yellow one with the mountain in it). Go to the original picture, click on the picture to get the full size version, copy the URL, and then insert that URL in the new thread using the "Image" button.

Here's one from my album ...
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 07-19-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

And the chairs have started..

My first plan was to do the ottomans completly and then go on to the chairs. However with so many pieces having the same machine set ups, I will mill a lot of my chair parts at the same time.

I spent a little time and got the wood picked for the legs, rails and strechers for the 2 chairs.

Morris chair and ottoman 060.jpg

More leg glue ups. This time for the chairs.

Morris chair and ottoman 061.jpg

Now its time to cut the 32 pieces that will be my venners...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    One more thing...you can link/show your pictures in your album by adding the picture using the "Insert Image" button (little yellow one with the mountain in it). Go to the original picture, click on the picture to get the full size version, copy the URL, and then insert that URL in the new thread using the "Image" button.
    Thanks for the tip Glenn. I will do it that way from now on.
    Dewey
    Dewey

My first roadblock

Well, the first issue came up today. I worked for a few hours this morning on the mortises for the legs. Everything was going wonderfully until I broke my mortiser. (*sigh*)

It's the Delta 650, a little one, and was used when I got it, though it looked "lightly" used. I didn't pay much for it at all, but still. I broke the fence rail (the part that slides into the column to hold the work square and tight when you remove the chisel). The casting just snapped in half while I was pulling the chisel back out of one of the holes. I'm not hurt, and it's just a tool, so I'm happy with that part.

What I'm wondering is...should it be THAT hard to pull the chisel back out of the new hole? I wouldn't have thought so, but it's a bear. I was having to really put my back into it. I tried some Slipit, and then some wax, and I made sure the bit cooled down so it wasn't expanding in the hole...

I dunno. Weird.

So, I made up a temporary fence with some clamps and boards, but I've got to do something else - right now it takes several minutes each hole, as I have to reposition clamps and boards each time. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Hey, at least I got almost all of the mortises in the correct spot, so...there's that.

Good luck, guys!

Blog Entries

Lightbulb pondering pic posting

Good Day to the Creek,
    Glenn makes a strong point -that having to search for pics diminishes this
    thread. Posting rules are different between threads and albums.

According to Dewey's inquiry in the tech forum, we are not limited in the
    number of albums we can create. Each album can contain up to 60 pics,
    with max 650 x650 pixel and a cap of 97.7K file size.

Pics posted to a thread are only limited by a cap of 107.8K for most formats.
    Posting the same pic twice requires the hassle of renaming the 2nd pic with a unique
    filename, and also consumes twice the bandwidth.

Glenn's suggestion is to first format and post pics to albums, which will
    provide a URL that can be quickly and accurately cut-and-pasted to a
    thread. This works fine, the only slight downside being albums allow smaller pics.
    For common rectangular pics, the longest side is capped at 650pix which
    is still large enough to be viewable.

I guess I will post my chair pics directly to this thread, where they are most relevant.(and can be larger)
    I will use personal albums to show completed projects, which will gather them as a gallery of my posted work.
    I suspect pics of a work in progress have more value in-thread, and with all the write-ups included...(?)

Thanks for the great posts so far, making me eager to start!
    I am pushing to solve some problems, but will be along asap.
    My loft shop has been cooking at over 100 F this week with humidity factored in... (110F humidex yesterday)

The lumber pic is an experiment, repost of same photo after renaming.
    The same pic from prior post was 922 x614 pixel, 105K posted into thread.
    This version of pic is 650 x433 pixel, 96.6K posted to album, then linked to this thread. Just trying to find the best approach...

carry on builders,
    Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 07-20-2008 at 9:39 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Hey Dave

Hey, Dave your more than welcome to finish the Morris chair and store it at my house..

Banana Effect 101 and oops

Good Day to the Creek.

As I have been glueing the veneers on the legs I thought instead of just watching the glue setup enough to take the clamps off I would start to make some side slats. The plan calls for 3/8" slats on both the chair and ottoman. The rails on the chair are thicker, 1 1/16" versus 3/4" on the ottoman. Because of this I am going to make my slats for the chairs 1/2" instead of 3/8".

Pretty staight forward. Face and edge joint to get ready to fire through the bandsaw.

Morris chair and ottoman 084.jpg

1/2" blade in the bandsaw that has only been used for resawing. Portable extention table at the right height.

Morris chair and ottoman 086.jpg

Morris chair and ottoman 094.jpg

After the first pass back to the jointer to flatten the board again and then back to the bandsaw for another pass. Banana effect doesn't seem to be that bad on this one, but it's the best out of the bunch. (not a problem we always allow for the banana effect)

Morris chair and ottoman 088.jpg

Here are the fruits of all the hard work. All that has to be done is a few passes on the jointer and then get them to final thickness with the planer.

Morris chair and ottoman 096.jpg

As I was looking at these I started to think, did I leave enough to get that 1/2" I want.....

Well after trying my best to get that 1/2" thickness I had to bring these down to 3/8". Didn't think they would bow as much as they did. All that wood went into only making these 14 slats. By my calculation they are worth about 5 bucks a piece. Upside is I have a few more pieces for another project.

Morris chair and ottoman 098.jpg

Now I know why they charge $2700.00 for a chair......

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Well after trying my best to get that 1/2" thickness I had to bring these down to 3/8". Didn't think they would bow as much as they did. All that wood went into only making these 14 slats. By my calculation they are worth about 5 bucks a piece. Upside is I have a few more pieces for another project.

Morris chair and ottoman 098.jpg

Now I know why they charge $2700.00 for a chair......
    Wow Gary... I hope I do better with my wood lot or I am back to the lumber supplier!

Dewey
    Dewey

[quote=Dave Lehnert;869301]I will post some pic's about mid week as I have some crazy work hours the next few days. I also built the Ottoman at the time. My chair is currently unfinished but I plan on using Rockler Mission cherry. God! I love that color. I also have yet to make the chair cushions.
    Something that may be of interest to the group. I used flat cut Red Oak for my project as I have a ton of it in my shop. I mostly used the grain along the side of the boards that look like quarter sawn, Not the typical "arch" pattern in the middle. I also used all 3/4" inch stock and glued up and planed to the thickness needed.
    It has been some time since I built it. if anyone has questions I hope to be able to remember and give you a hand.

Just as a side note. The chair was all built with a Shopsmith mark 5 and Shopsmith wood planer. except the Mortises were cut on a benchtop Grizzly unit

Sorry it took so long. Better late than never LOL!!!

Some other shots of the chair

One last photo. Enjoy