Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Morris Chair project

Just met fellow Creeker Nathan Connor in person, great guy. Compared to my shop, he's got a great thing going.. and what an awesome 18" band saw... I think that blade he had on there was about 5" wide (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit). Sigh, someday I'll have a real shop.

Nathan passed on a great deal on some wood as well, hooked me up real nice for this project and likely a few others..... Thanks big guy, much appreciated (for about 1/4 of what I would normally pay)

Also saw his chair, looked great, can't wait to tackle the project (but I'll have to, got some other things for the LOML to do)

Thanks again Nathan, what a great community the Creek has created.... I'm gonna go donate right now!
    fledgling weekend warrior

A little slow

I'm a little slow to respond these days. My grandpa always said I was a little slow on the upchuck.

Yes, Brad, it was GREAT to meet you and poke around the shop a little. My wife was impressed by the Alder pile reduction, and it was a great segue to get me out of the yardwork and back into the woodworking season again. Those few boxes you saw on the bench have now multiplied after a long weekend in the shop into a total of 23 Christmas gifts. (Note to other Creekers after a short break or a long project: Go check your DC. I ignored mine for a few months because it's quiet and stuffed in a closet, and WOW. Filter box full, cyclone full, bin full and split a seam...The entire DC room was both a stunning mess of fine particulates and a horrible fire hazard. Complacency rules again! Woo hoo!)

My little pair of chairs _still_ do not have cushions. Since they're going to be located in a constantly changing studio (started as a computer room, migrated to a media room, now is filled with pinball machines), the money for the cushions always seems to hit the back burner. It may take a lottery win for me to actually order these cushions made. Hmmm...maybe I can take another weekend and make more boxes. If I could sell these...

Anyhow. Keep plugging along, guys. It's great to keep tabs on how everyone's builds are going, and I'm still keeping a pair of footrests in mind. (I can never get ottoman and divan and davenport straight, so 'footrests' it is.)

Brad, be sure and keep me in mind if you need a few extra sticks of Alder or to see how those false through-tenons really look again.

Well.

I just spent the last 6 days reading through this entire thread. First off - Walt and Gary, what a great idea you hatched here! Over a year and this thread is still active and the list of beautiful chairs continues to grow.

Walt, I must admit I am envious of your joinery skills. You mentioned that your results with the mortiser improved with time. Could you elaborate at all? I am very curious.

I would like to build one (or two) of these, but I am still at the very front of the curve and don't have many tools, certainly not the ones that a project of this magnitude require. Someday; putting a shop together takes a lot of time when all you have is weeknights, weekends, and a budget.

I enjoyed reading the thread very much, thanks again to everyone who contributed tips and pics.

Mike

Well, thought I would make my entry into the Morris Chair world. I will be building the FWW/American Furniture Design Bow Arm Chair. I went to the lumber store and $400 later came back with hopefully enough to finish the chair. I started tonight by getting the legs for the chair glued up and also laid out all of the parts for the ottoman. Tomorrow night I will hopefully glue up the legs for the ottoman and spend time at the bandsaw re-sawing veneers for the 4-sided QSWO legs. I am very impressed with the rest of your work and hope that I can come close.

On another note, this Morris Chair is the start to my basement furniture, after this I will be taking the same side sections and stretching the "in betweens" to make a sofa; I have seen a couple online and they look really nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Exclamation ...train kept a rollin'

Good Day Morris fans,
    Nice to see fresh input from so many faces.

[in my low spy villain voice] ...So we meet again, Mr. Wood.
    Brad,
    Sweet that Nathan hooked you up with some lumber!
    He put on a heck of a show with his chair build posts and pics.
    I envy that you got to meet the man, and shake his hand.
    Workshops are a work in progress...
    as long as yours keeps improving, along with your ability, you are winning!
    Thanks for contributing to keep our Creek flowing.

Greetings and a tip of my hat to Nathan from the West Coast.
    Good to see you check into the Morris thread, buddy.
    You made such an impression on Brad... that he contributed?
    You musta gave him a terrific lumber deal...
    or be an ever better guy than I imagined!

Turning pegs for your 'M' chair made both of us green with envy.
    Fast-forward to today... and Gary Z. and I both now have wood lathes.
    As the vortex sucks our shoptime and tool budgets...
    we can always tell our wives it was all Nathan's fault!

Good tip: Don't overstuff your dust collector! hehe
    Must've been quite the chokey, coughy mess.
    Me likey pinball machines! (I owned a William's Black Knight through the 90's)

Next up, Michael Peet:
    Welcome aboard the Morris thread, and thanks for your kind words.
    You spent how long reading this?!? Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    Although it has become huge and unwieldy...
    we sincerely hope this thread is helpful and informative.

Yes, all hobby woodworkers find out that a workshop is always a work in progress.
    And ya, we all wrestle with limits of time and space, skill and money.
    I do believe the best way to end up with a good shop, is to crawl then walk then maybe someday run.
    (or take the slow, scenic route)

If we were lottery-winned a shop, there would still be challenges.
    Growing skills, and learning to assemble, set up, maintain and safely operate tools & machinery takes boatloads of small steps.
    Not to mention our chosen hobby is very old, and very deep, with many tasty branches.
    For the self-taught...There is no other way.
    Knowing what goes in to our own shops, adds value to our shop time,
    and what comes out of our shops.

Thanks for your kind words, teaching myself traditional mortise & tenons has been both frustrating and rewarding.
    I will make a seperate posting about my experience with them, before long.
    Trying to keep the social content seperate from the meat and pototoes.
    (Not to mention it's 5:30am on a sleepless night, and I gotta try to crash)

Welcome Ben Martin,
    Good to have you aboard...
    very exciting to see someone cutting boards for another Morris chair!
    We look forward to seeing your efforts in QSW oak.
    Thanks for giving us a peek.
    Please keep those photos coming!

I've never seen a stretch-limo Morris, but I'd like to!
    This is all fun and very pleasing...

hope you find some shop time,
    on we roll,
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 10-13-2009 at 5:45 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    I've never seen a stretch-limo Morris, but I'd like to!
    This is all fun and very pleasing...
    Walt,

Here are some pretty good pics that I have found of a Morris-style sofa:

http://www.strictlymission.com/newchairs.html

Scroll halfway down on the page.

Another Chair for the Books.

Welcome aboard Ben!

As Walt said it's nice to see the start of yet another chair being born.
    Slow and steady, cut by cut it will grow into what will be a family heirloom.
    Now that it's started and the first glimpse of it has been posted. there is no turning back.
    Make sure to keep those pics on the progress coming.
    As you can see by this little thread we love pics...

Seeing another start to a chair gives me that little push to get off my butt and get my leather and get the cushions done.
    My chairs and ottos have been sitting in my shop so long my wife has changed her mind a couple of times on the color.

Upside is I can now turn the pegs on my lathe.
    Thanks Nathan for the little push on a lathe.
    That vortex is something else.

Brad, I hope you will be able to push a few of those sticks from Nathan through the saw and start a chair soon.
    Looking forward to see what your chair will look like.

The build goes on.......

Classes on these chairs?

Do any of you know of anyone who offers resident classes, (such as those offered by Windsor chair builders), in building chairs like these?

The American Sycamore Academy does, in fact the one that I am building, the American Furniture Design version.

10. Next Group Project

Will there be another group project like this one attempted in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brookshire View Post
    Will there be another group project like this one attempted in the near future?
    What do you have in mind? I think it should definitely become something that happens often here.

Well, I have made a lot of progres in the last couple of weeks, I didn't get much (or any) shop time this past week because I purchased a Baldor 10" grinder and needed to get it up and running (pics can be found here: http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/p...20Restoration/) nothing like a $900 grinder for $50!

I got the Ottoman finished today and am actually taking the day off tomorrow so I can hopefully get the majority of the chair together.

Sides of the Ottoman:

And the Ottoman test fitted, these were my first M&T joints!

I got all of the parts dimensioned and cut to width for the chair (except the back slats...) This was my first time to work with material over 4/4.

Man, this created A LOT of dust!

And, as they say, ever project deserves a new tool! I tried to make one mortise with my router and edge guide and gave up. I plan on building mostly (for the time being...) A&C style furniture so I expect this will come in handy.

And in case anyone cared, I have posted all of these pictures and more on my Photobucket site.
    http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/p...orris%20Chair/

13. Yea,
    I thought it should be a regular feature of the site as well.
    It was a great idea that has drawn a lot of interest.
    I don't have any specific projects in mind.
    A grandfather clock might be a good project - maybe too pricey to get a lot of takers; with the cost of works, etc.
    But it should be something substantial and an adequate challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brookshire View Post
    Yea,
    I thought it should be a regular feature of the site as well.
    It was a great idea that has drawn a lot of interest.
    I don't have any specific projects in mind.
    A grandfather clock might be a good project - maybe too pricey to get a lot of takers; with the cost of works, etc.
    But it should be something substantial and an adequate challenge.
    I was looking into building the mission style clock that Norm built, but the "workings" were over $600, IIRC.

I haven't posted these pictures yet, but I made some progress on the chair on Monday. I got all of the base and side together. I am now working on the form for the bow arms.

Did anybody make their own cushions for the chair? My Mom is a seamstress and can make them, but had some questions on foam cushioning, any advice would be welcomed.

Also, did anybody shape the bottoms of their legs on the chair so that it wouldn't have sharp corners? The FWW article chair appears to have been put on a lathe and the sharp corners were removed.