Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday June 6th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

HOT & HUMID!!!! That's the weather up this way. 79 degrees @ 5:45 AM. Haven't seen those kinds of temps in the AM since we lived in Vegas. Of course Vegas is "dry heat". It's anything but that here. I may have to sharpen up a couple of knives to cut through the air, it's that thick.

Not sure about the weekend yet. I might try and start milling some Jatoba for a flag case I promised. I could also slice up some more cedar into boards. I think I'll just play it by ear as the weather is going to be a factor. I don't do well in HUMID and that's what we're supposed to have all weekend.

So what's happening on your block for the weekend? Hopefully it'll include something that you enjoy.

Whatever it may be make it a SAFE one.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Maybe bringing in the TV cabinet, depending on whether and weather, that's if its raining and whether Lori gets a spot cleared for it..

Prob not much woodworking other than a bit of shop cleaning, but 4 of the fishing tournaments I'm in are multi species and bass is one of them.
    I'm not much of a bass fisherman, so we hit Cabella's last week and picked up some basic stuff, and maybe this weekend we'll get out and do a bit of pre fishing for bass on the next lake we fish.

Kitchen cabinets are finally next up, so maybe we'll start on them, Lori keeps changing her mind so there's been a few changes and we need to make up new plans.

Ya all have a safe and well weekend.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Flooding all around me this morning.
    I'm hi and dry but my creek is really screaming. Sounds great. Getting the shop organized.
    Moving boxes taking naps.
    Love this retirement.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Doing a little family get togther on Saturday so there will be much food and drink involved. Sunday will probably be reserved for recovery from Saturday.

I'd super hot and humid here too, but I do have the cut the grass at some point.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Mike

Weather dependent, I will either go to the AMA Superbike Double Header at Road America or continue work on the Adirondack loveseat on Saturday.

Sunday is my brother's & grandma's birthday party in the south suburbs of Chicago. Bro's going to be 30.

I am at work still (my scheduled week off). Looks like I am going to miss my week off and end up away for 5 weeks. So either a week of Overtime or an extra week off somewhere down the line. But my previous 2 weeks of daydreaming and plans for this weekend are out the window now.

So more day dreaming for next opportunity.

Back to The Ship

I'm going back to work on the Onrust ship on Saturday. www.theonrust.com .

Not sure what the wife has planned for Sunday.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

My weekend will be "more of the same"...more trim work in the great room and more landscaping/lawn work outside. (More "driving lessons" on the new ZTR...) I need to start with some serious shop cleanup, too, as I transition tools and materials out of the house back to where most of it belongs. My shop is a serious pig-stye at this point and it's driving my anal self nuts. But it's all about time. (I also have the YMCA run for the girls' karate class, so that's taking a chunk of time out of Saturday)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's 85 degrees here this morning with 69% releative humidity. Not bad for southwest Louisiana this time of year.

I'll be helping LOML put the second coat of paint on the porch floor, all 1000 sqft of it. We have one of those Acadian style two stories that were popular in this area back in the 80's. The 8' wide porch wraps around 3 sides of the house. Painting isn't my most favorite project.

After that I should get some shop time. I want to finish building my EZ PBB. All I have left on it is a dust collection housing for under the slotted tabletop.

Then I have one utility room wall cabinet left to build for my son's new house. Oh, and my daughter-in-law asked me the other day, "aren't you supposed to cover those pink boards under the vanity?" Seems I haven't put kick plate on the bathroom vanities yet. I used scrap precut studs for the base of the vanities, hence, the pink reference. Her desire to "cover those pink boards" is acutally a little ironic. She's on of those really girly-girls that likes everything pink.

supposed to be hazy hot and humid here in the northeast (it's about time - I look outside and it's overcast wet and maybe 60 degrees if we're lucky). Maybe do some more yardwork, although I don't like planting or transplanting in the heat. I hope to work on clearing out my modest work area in preparation for some workshop construction - although I'm guessing a maybe 0% chance of the kids giving me any time!

Sunday - graduation party for my nephew, so no yard or shop work for me.

Stelth Wood Gloat, What I will be doing this weekend and the next several

Looks like I will be sorting Claro Walnut for the next few weeks.
    Bought a very large pile (maybe 1000 CUBIC FEET not bf) of Claro Walnut. Some slabs, some gunstock blanks, some table top pieces. All Very dry, some stored sense 1975.

Two pickup loads and a 16' flatbed trailer full too.

Keep an eye on the classified, will start putting some up to offset my cost. Will keep allot of it, but for me there is three or four lifetimes of walnut..........
    Last edited by John Cooper2; 06-06-2008 at 1:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Getting the second half of the garden soiled, do some planting / transplanting.

Need to get my bookcase carcass assembled - my shop space is overrun with birch plywood parts. Then I'll bring in some 4/4 maple from outside to inside to hopefully finish drying - these are going to be the faces for the pull out shelves.

Well it's suppose to be raining this weekend so some shop time is in order. I have a leather sheath that I need to actually make (instead of just thinking about it) and need to continue on with my steam bending project. I've almost finished building some clamping forms so it's time to joint and plane some ash and walnut for the hoop frame and cut some handles out of Birdseye Maple and Leopardwood. Then onwards to building the steam box. Should be fun to actually steam something.

It's in the 90's here with high humidity. Ick. I've been working on my underground man cave (basement) where it stays nice and cool in the summer.

This weekend I hope to finish tiling... you can read about my blunder in the off topic forum.

PS - NEVER buy premixed thinset.

Should be in the middle of the nice 20s up here in BC, CANADA.

Gonna spend Saturday cutting down ivy and wisteria in trade for a Lathe.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai