Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie Bowl Holder?

Doggie Bowl Holder?

My dog makes a mess with her water bowl so I have been looking for something with a splash gaurd. After looking for a while I decided to build something like this:

Only different . I have my own style in mind but thats the only picture of one I could find.

I'm stuck on deciding what sort of wood to use. For the price those above sell for they should be made of teak, but they are just pine. I have been contemplating making it out of teak but I am not sure if its worth it. Basically this is to protect the walls and woodwork in my house, but I'd love for it to be water proof/resistent itself. Is teak about the only route or could I use a more common hardwood like oak or maple and just cover it in layers and layers of poly? Seems that it would eventually start to look bad.

Any suggestions?

No finish will keep regular water from killing the finish itself.

There are many woods you can use that are rot resistant. Cedar, IPE, White oak, Cypress are just a few.

Personally I would most likely use white oak and put on a light varnish oil mixture and plan on re touching once a year.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Good call. I didn't think about those. I just don't know enough about wood yet and teak was the only one I knew of that was water proof. i didn't think about rot resistant wood.

Joe:

High school latin was 45 years ago, but still have my text books.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vegetius De Rei Militari III (paraphrased)

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum--"Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war"

General Vegetius

As you can tell I have alot of time on my hands.

Greg

"...Any suggestions?..."

Get a cat? No? OK, then... there is no way it's going to remain "pristine" regardless of the wood/finish used. As mentioned, any "rot resistant" wood will work. I always look to mahogany (remember, it's used extensively in boat building). But, one way or the other, this is something that's going to have to be refinished often.
    David DeCristoforo

I used Melamine for the top, with silicone sealer at the edges.

I made mine out of varnished walnut 5 years ago. It is still fine. But maybe Jessie is neater than your dog.

BTW, I made the bottom a box that I store the dog food in. That has worked out well also.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...Any suggestions?..."

Get a cat? No? OK, then... there is no way it's going to remain "pristine" regardless of the wood/finish used. As mentioned, any "rot resistant" wood will work. I always look to mahogany (remember, it's used extensively in boat building). But, one way or the other, this is something that's going to have to be refinished often.
    We've got a cat too. He's worse cause he like to play in the water. He also likes to take showers so he's not your normal cat. However we also have a year and a half old human that thinks its funny to splash in the bowl too . So really I'm basically just out of luck. I don't mind refinishing I just don't want rot or for it to swell up. I learned the lesson the hardway as it swelled the trim in our old house and now that we just moved and have a nice new house to tear up I'd like to keep it nicer for longer...

I'll take a look at the lumber shop after work and see what they have

For our new pup, we are using the 'water dish in a storage tote' method to contain the water.

She actually goes snorkeling and blows bubbles in the water with her nose, then takes a big mouthfull of water and starts walking around, dribbling as she goes....

That's a good idea, I may have to make something like that....

Setting off an atom Bomb

At the risk of setting off an Atom Bomb, have you thought of using PVC panels?

Water resistant, wont rot, machines "like" wood, Glue together assembly, cleans up nicely.

I have used these for several exterior trim projects with success
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ricker View Post

BLASHPEMER! HERETIC! INFIDEL!

Brent: I think my new puppy is your puppy's twin, I caught mine doing the same bubble thing yesterday, it was amusing at least.

Granite?

You could try granite. A couple of large stone tiles from the borg could work.

PVC? Is that Chris a subversive?
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ricker View Post

Water resistant, wont rot, machines "like" wood, Glue together assembly, cleans up nicely.

I have used these for several exterior trim projects with success

Yeah but wood looks nicer and it could be a fun project.

West System epoxy coating over most wood will do extremely well. Don't have to worry about UV breaking it down.