Thread: Colored Acrylic Request

Colored Acrylic Request

Hello Creekers,

I have an order for some letters to be cut out of colored acrylic. The customer wants brown acrylic to be specific. I've purchased some acrylic in various other colors but have not found brown yet. Does anybody know of a supplier that carries brown acrylic? At this point, I'm open to transparent and/or opaque.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

These guys
    http://www.perspexdistribution.com/c...ylic-sheet.asp
    do a transparent brown. It's sort of a bronze colour. They're based in the UK; but at least you know that it does exist.

There's also bronze mirror acrylic which is far nicer; pretty well the same colour and I've seen a lot more of it about.

Paint it

Mike, you could always use clear acrylic then spray paint the back brown. Makes it glossy on the front. Just a thought. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

There's a good idea Jim. I've had really good luck with the rust-oleum for plastic product - does a nice job on acrylic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

How thick? I get 1/8"own all the time locally at Tap Plastics. I think they would ship you some. It's Acrylite #324-0, pantone 4625, sort of chocolate color.

I go to this store:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/locations.php?lid=1&

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

And I use Delvies Plastics. I've had good luck with them.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

We have had issues getting colors as well. We do letters all of the time and are now using the spray paint for plastic or you can use the plastic primer and any other type of paint you want. Just did some bright shiny gold letters that looked great.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Curbell Plastics has Acrylite in many different colors.

If you fill out the request form here they will send you free 2" x 2" samples of all the colors and textures that they sell. They sent me 2 small boxes. One box said "Sign Color Samples" that had about 2 dozen solid color samples, and the other box said "Glazing Color Samples" that must have had about 30 translucent colors. All 1/8" thick samples.

This may all be extruded acrylic though, but I'm not sure. They do list cast in the catalog too.

Here's the acrylic section of their catalog in .pdf that lists some of the colors available in cast and extruded. Catalog

HTH,
    Skip
    Skip

WK Laser LC6090 80w - Shopsabre 4896 CNC Router

good web site

Good website Joe. They are more expensive than delvies, but offer different stuff. I like the diamond plate and carbon fiber acrylic mirror. Will have to try. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Hello Creekers,

I have an order for some letters to be cut out of colored acrylic. The customer wants brown acrylic to be specific. I've purchased some acrylic in various other colors but have not found brown yet. Does anybody know of a supplier that carries brown acrylic? At this point, I'm open to transparent and/or opaque.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike:
    My supplier is Piedmont Plastics. They have 3 locations in Ohio.
    http://www.piedmontplastics.com/locations.asp
    If it's plastic..they got it..or can get it.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Brown Acrylic

Hi Mike;
    I have a bunch of 1/8" bronze stuff that I have no use for. How much do you need and what sizes?
    George
    LaserArts

Thank you all for the help. As always, the Sawmill community comes through in awesome fashion.

George, I will have to find out from the customer if bronze would be acceptable. If so, I might take you up on your offer.

I don't think the customer would go for the painting method. I have done some painting on the backside of acrylic with great results. Especially when painting the backside black and engraving a photo. They've come out looking just like black and white photos.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...