Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for whole-house fan

Recommendations for whole-house fan

When I was growing up air conditioning was uncommon but my neighbors had a whole-house fan that made a big difference when it wasn't extremely hot or humid. I'm considering installing one in my home. Any comments/recommendations on specific brands of whole-house units would be appreciated. He's one that caught my interest.
    http://www.airscapefans.com/?utm_sou...FQPJsgodsUwaAA
    Last edited by Harry Hagan; 06-02-2008 at 3:20 PM.

It depends on the climate.

My sister had one in their house when they lived in Salt Lake City. It's great, almost as good as A/C to cool a house after a hot day when it cools off outside at night. When we lived in CA there were many nights when it stayed 80+ all night and I don't think it would help much then other than moving the warm air a bit, and then you'd save electricity to use a small fan in the bedroom. Here even in the hottest part of summer it cools off at night.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My house was built in 1927. I installed a whole house fan about 20 years ago. Open all the windows about half way and run the fan in the am - until the outside air is warmer than the inside air. Turn it off and close the windows (around 10 am). When the evening air is cooler that the inside air (about 8 pm) open the windows and turn on the fan until or through bedtime.

We have a/c in the windows in the bedrooms but only run them about 25 days or so per year. I really don't care for whole house a/c. I don't like hitting the outdoors with a 20 degree temp change.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have a whole house fan by Tamarack. It fits nicely between 2' rafters, has dual fans, and is decently quiet. California often has rebates for such items so check your local utility as they may have such a beast, too.

I work mine pretty much as Joe above described and like it just fine but those superhot days here in Cali where it is still 80 degrees at 11 pm...uh, you need A/C for those days.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We run the fan even when it's 85-90 outside at night. The fan helps cool off the attic - by forcing out that 130 degree air, which cools down the ceiling. It does make a difference.

My experience is the same as Rob's - blowing the fan into the attic really helps lower the attic temperature - and is a lot cheaper than air conditioning.

The only negative is that it pulls in a lot of dust.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great idea to get one, the quieter the better. I just have to old fashion big fan in the ceiling and while it works it is to load for me at night.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Make sure that there is a good way to get the air out of your atic also.
    Scott

I was thinking of offsetting the unit from its intake grill by building some ductwork out of that "duct-board" material made of insulation. That way the unit could be isolated from the ceiling joists to dampen vibration and the duct walls would absorb fan noise, especially if the duct made a 90 degree turn.

Thanks for the input, Chris. Unfortunately, my local utility doesn't offer a rebate but I did let them know they should if they're really serious about conserving electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My experience is the same as Rob's - blowing the fan into the attic really helps lower the attic temperature - and is a lot cheaper than air conditioning.

The only negative is that it pulls in a lot of dust.

Mike

You're right, Mike. That's one of the main benefits of a whole-house fan--venting the attic; especially if you have a single story house or sleep on the second floor. I'm planning on lowering the top sash on my double-hung windows instead or raising the lower sash to control air flow in the house. Since I don't have screens, I'll build inserts with filters to keep the bugs and dust out. I'd planned on screens but your "dust" comment changed my mind.

I remodeled my house in the mid eighties. It is just a small mid-sixties spec house, but well built. I put ceiling fans throughout and also an attic (whole-house) fan. Well worth it, but I would make some changes if I could. I have a very limited space for one but if I had it to do over would possibly duct one.

First, get the largest one you can fit in your attic. The larger the fan the more air moved at less rpm than a smaller one.....less noise. Second, get a belt drive unit. Just like a tablesaw....less vibration and less noise. Mine is a small direct drive model and it when I fire it up it sounds like it's ready to taxi and take off. I have two turbine vents and gable end vents also so have plenty of 'vent power'. I can fire up the attic fan in the evening in the summer and stand under the gable vent which is aimed down and think, "Man, what I would do to have this air in my shop (or house) in the winter."
    And now for something completely different....

Chris,
    I had a Tamarack when I lived in the East Bay. It was alright but it didn't move any where near the volume of air that a 24"-36" standard whole house fan. It also cost me over $500 and I didn't feel that I got my money's worth out of not having to run the air conditioner. 90% of the time it would cool down in the evening due to the almost constant breeze that came off of the Bay and the house would still be quite warm at bedtime unless I ran the air conditioner.
    I will admit that it was neat when the motor that lifted the insulated shutters came on and opened them prior to the fan motors starting. Sort of like Star Trek doors opening.
    David B

David,

It works quite well for us and I like that it isn't too noisy. Granted, it isn't silent but it doesn't bother me for sleeping. I'm sure a "monster" fan of 2-3 feet definately can't compare to the two "little" fans of the Tamarack but I bet this one is quieter and the Tamarack does maintian the R-factor in the attic.

I think PG&E gave us $100 or $150 towards it so I think it cost us around $300 but we bought it a while ago...could've been more.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

For your attic, make sure its vented properly to start with, that alone should reduce the AC bills

I had to add soffit and ridge vents to my 36 year old house (I found places on the rafters near the ridge where the sap boiled out of the pine framing), and that ventilation has helped in cooling. I am also planning on installing the reflective aluminium foil to the underside of the rafters. This will create:
    1) a radiant heat reflector
    2) A natural chimney for the hot air to rise from the soffit up to the ridge vent.

Now if i could only carve out some time for that project in the honey-do list during one of those cooler rainy days.

(and I am not gonna make a hat out of the foil leftovers)
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?