Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help - double image

help - double image

I am getting a double image from my versalaser 30Wt. When I had the problem before it was always something slipping in the drive train, belt loose, drive gear loose, etc. I have replaced the belt, cleaned and tightened all the gears etc. and the problem has not changed. Is there something I am missing. Help. Yes I know tech support will be open Mon AM but I need to get work out today, I should have called them Fri. But I figured it was no biggie, just readjust the belt and back to work. It's now been 2 days of this and I am hoping for some advice.

Thanks guys (and gals)
    George

"The more I learn, the less I know."

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

Are the thumbscrews tight on the laser head?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Forgot to mention that, yep, but good call, I've been there before.
    George

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

George - is it happening all over the table or just at the far right or left extremes of the X axis. I have found out (in fact confirmed in the job I am running tonight) that I can not raster at 100 speed to the far left on the X axis. When I do I get a blurred picture or type. Seems it has to do with the rapid change in directions. I too have replaced belts, pulleys, stepper with no luck. I have come to terms with it as part of the personality of the machine.

Just a shot in the dark

Todd
    Todd Schwartz - Des Moines, Iowa
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+
    CorelDraw X6 / Photograv 3 / FlashCut 4 / Aspire 9

I got ahold of ULS tech support this morning, and they are sending out new belts, new rollers and new bearings, all as warranty items even though my year was up in April. Should be here in the morning. This should fix the problem as it is ALL the moving parts. (except the stepper) ULS support is THE BEST. To those looking to buy a laser, don't forget about support. It can be a joy or a source of never ending frustration. I will keep all appraised of the progress.
    George

DiJeES

Good for them George - it's good to see a company stand behind their product like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

Well to to continue the saga, I got the belts, bearings, etc. and put them in, no change, tech suggested new laser, I said, the stepper motor is the only thing left besides the laser ( never known a stepper motor to go bad but you never know). Stepper motor in this morning no change. NEW laser tube on it's way. All as warranty items, several months after the one year. Now that's a good company. I have work piling up, the laser ain't working and I sing the praise of the manufacturer, go figure.
    George

DiJeES

Congratulations on your new machine! You haven't mentioned it, but I presume you covered it right at the start, but it couldn't be anything optical could it? A bit of guck or a mini-crack that's splitting the beam? Could be something quite tiny if it was on the first mirror or two...

George,

I wonder if it is comming from the air assist hose, have they had you check that?

George - to hit on the obvious and to add on to Darren's post, but have you tried a different lens? Have you made sure all the lens and mirrors are clean and secure.

Finally, have you asked for a new CPU board. Cured my ailments last fall when everything pointed to a mechanical issue of not vector cutting well.

Good luck and keep us updated on the progress.

Todd
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+

Have you made sure all the lens and mirrors are clean and secure.
    I didn't think of that! A slightly loose mirror wobbling in time with a fan would give a double image too. Good one.

A scatched mirror or lens will cause a split beam and double image. Clean and then check all of the mirrors and the lens. and if you have a window don't forget that. The window is between the laser compartment and the cutting area.
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

On one of my lasers I had a loose lens, It definatly caused double images.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

changed lenses, tightened everything, new tube in today and still the same, new drive gear and idler coming tomorrow, then it's time to ask about a new controller. I should be upset, but I have figured work arounds, turn type 90 degrees it's not so noticeable, use areal narrow, and it looks like regular. But ULS has really gone the second mile in trying to solve the problem.
    George

DiJeES

I am putting my money on the new controller.

Good luck.

Todd