Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Powermatic 66 Restore

Another Powermatic 66 Restore

I have just completed the restoration of my third Powermatic 66. This one was built in 1966. I traveled to Michigan to get it. It was not in to bad of shape for being 44 years old. The motor was burnt up, the dust door was missing & some rust. I tore it completely apart, cleaned and painted everything. Changed the arbor bearings & installed a 3 hp 1 phase motor. I do have one hangup though. The saw has a Powermatic overhead blade guard. I have never seen one of these before & never seen a picture of one. It looks like there should be a top cover for the guard. Would anyone know what type of material this cover would have made of & the size it should be?

Thumbs up Chris,

that is an awsome job you did and a great saw~ so what are you going to do with it~
    One more thing ~ you suck!
    Brian

Nice job on the saw. So when are you going to send it to me for a thorough testing?

That looks fantastic. Should be a great saw! Did you fabricate the access door and motor cover, or did you part out from other saws? Did you do your own paint job?

Very nice. Now you've just got to drive it back to Michigan to repatriate those archaelogical remains. I'll volunteer to store it.
    Use the fence Luke

Very nice work Chris. I don't think anything is missing from the blade guard. It seems like it would prevent you from accidentally dropping your hand onto the blade and that's it. Has it got a splitter of some sort, (I can't tell by the pix) or just the guard you picture? Were you able to get the old fence to lock parallel? I think I'd be more concerned about kickback from lack of a splitter or riving knife than the guard itself. Without a ZCI or overarm dust collector, it is going to spew a lot of dust.

What are the two levers on the fence? Front & rear?

VERY nice!

That's one dandy restore job, there. I wonder ... could they have mounted a sheet of clear plastic on the ledges created by the "bent" top edges? Glass, maybe (surely not?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    What are the two levers on the fence? Front & rear?

I believe those are "LOCKED" and "Micro-Adjust Mode" - one engages the micro adjuster (i think that's what that dial on the side is for) and the other completely locks the fence down solidly.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Good job Chris next time I'm up your way and have sometime I might stop by and see it in person.

Chris, Sure looks better than the day it was built!
    You metion third restoration. What happened to the first two?
    Keep up the good work.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Outstanding restoration, Chris!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all of the kind words. I enjoyed doing this saw more than the others for some reason.

I will try to answer some of the questions.

Brian,
    I am not sure what I am going to do with it.

Andy,
    The dust door was missing. I found an original on the E auction site.
    The motor cover came with the saw when I bought it.
    I did the painting.

Doug,
    With the price of diesel now around $5 a gallon, I do not think I will make it back to MI for quite some time.

Jermey,
    After some adjustment the fence locks perfectly parallel.
    I installed a shark splitter on the saw.
    The two handles on the fence lock the front & rear of the fence. You lock the lower handle first. This gets the fence parallel & then you lock the top handle.

Jason,
    The left guard has 3 screw holes in the top edge. I was thinking it might have had a piece of plexi glass on it, but was not sure & did not know what size it would be.

Terry,
    Stop in any time & welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Victor,
    The other 2 restores are machines I am using in my shop. The first was a saw owned buy a former employer. It is a 1967 PM 66. The first time I used it was in 1975. The company that owned it was a remodeling firm. The carpenters cut everything on the saw. Cement blocks, bricks, heavy angle iron & sometimes they even cut wood with it. I was able to purchase it in 2003. It was in bad condition, but it did have all of its parts. I was not interested in restoring it back to original state so I sold off some of the original parts to help pay for the new fence system.

The second restore is a 1994 model. It was used in a factory. It looked like it had cut alot of solid surface material. It was in fair condition.
    Link to a post about this saw.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72699
    Last edited by Chris Rosenberger; 06-02-2008 at 7:39 AM.

You have me drooling in my coffee cup this morning Chris. Beautiful restorations.

Very nice work. Now I know what a real saw looks like.

Well, the first report (3rd restore) was great, but the one with the router table extension, DC setup, etc. is a work of art! Color coordinated, well designed, and you may have missed your calling if you are concentrating on woodworking. There has to be a great market out there for that kind of restore/readaptation of these old machines. Not cheap I'm sure, but worth every penny!

Honestly, I never really considered this type of thing when I started looking for new machines for my shop. I would LOVE to have that kind of setup.

After posting this, I went back and looked at the prior restore posted in January - these are simply stated - masterpieces!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-02-2008 at 7:56 AM.

Thumbs up

Chris - That's a striking difference from the "before" to the "after". Awesome job!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....