Thread: Are Triton tools very good?

Question Are Triton tools very good?

I've been shopping around for a biscuit joiner for a little while now, and I ran across this today:

http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/biscuitjoiner.htm

This is the first I've heard of it. I have no idea how long this has been on the market or if it's any good. It's selling at Amazon and Woodcraft.com for $100. I know the Triton router got a good review from one of the magazines I get, but other than that I don't know much about their tools. Are Triton tools any good? Does anybody here own a Triton biscuit joiner?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Travis

Travis,

I purchased the Triton 2 1/4 router about 6 weeks ago and have used it almost every day since. Good, solid machine (quiet!!) with well thought out features. It is my first experience with a Triton product. Based on my familiarity so far, I have found no reason not to buy a Triton tool.

Hope this helps.

Best!

-Jerry

I have Triton's 3-1/4 HP router. It's design shows obvious significant thought put into its use, truly useful features that are not nearly as convenient on other routers (e.g., better dust collection, fan that blows toward but and dust hose rather than sucking dust through the motor, quick removal and replacement of plunge spring for inverted use, two-speed depth adjustment, automatic shaft lock when fully raised, ... -- the list goes on).

On the other hand, the fit-and-finish and ruggedness seems a smidgen less that of my Porter-Cable or DeWalt routers (several models of each, but none of any other brands), and Triton's uniqueness results in poor compatibility with third-party products, such as router lifts and edge/circle guides.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to try another Triton product.

Triton generally gets good comments from folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I posted this a while ago
    http://tinyurl.com/6p2za7

So far I'd supplement by saying

4.) With it mounted in the table I have observed that the thing moves around as pressure is applied. That is the posts and base are flexing so much that I can actually watch the bit deflecting laterally. I can induce this deflection with little effort by hand just pushing a tad on the assembly.

5.) I haven't yet slung a bit from the collett.

6.) With the router mounted in my slot mortiser I rather like the ability to use the plunge base like the "quill" of a milling machine. It's good for angled cuts.

7.) The vibration of the thing is so bad that it vibrates the depth stop lock knob loose no matter how I tightened it and once when I wasn't looking it vibrated it till it fell out and parts got lost in the saw dust.
    I learned from that that the only way to tighten it is with a wrench.

8.) the bit does not run concentric. That is to say that between the collett and the shaft the bit does not run true dead center.

9.) The micro adjustment has shown signs of failure. It's started to slip.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks, everybody, for the input. I think I might pick up the Triton soon. Thanks again!

I have the Triton monted under my home built router table with the Incra fence system and I could not be happier. The "ratchet" system lets me raise and lower the bit with ease and will then fine tune as neesed, when it is raised all the way up the spindle locks and bit changing is a one handed opration. I have used the onboard dust system and adaped it to fit my shop-vac and have installed a switch and plug in a two gang box, so when I turn on the Triton the shop-vac comes on too...still some chips do escape but they are far less that without the system. Soon as I learn how to post photos, i will show you my rig.

No complaints at all from this Triton Router.

Blog Entries
    I have no experience with the larger Triton but the MOF001 is really sweet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had an MOF001 for about a year was doing some rabbetting work on some 8mm timber and the adjustment went in it ,could only adjust by hand not via micro winder or through the table winder.Its off to the service agent come Monday,nice little one hour drive through the countryside,seems a common problem with them, they have a plastic worm gear in them which has since been upgraded to a metal one.The main hardware store over here is not carrying them anymore and they seem to be trying to go out of business here in Australia,they have been taken over by GMC who make tools down to a price point, don't know what they are doing in the States they seem to be aiming their market at overseas.

My impression has always been that they are the Ryobi of Australia. Nice looking stuff at good prices, but lacking in true quality. Fine if you are a hobbiest and don't use (it) very often, but not for production work or frequent jobsite use. I mean honestly, how good can a $100 biscuit joiner be after the retailer, distributor, shipper, and manufacturer have taken their cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    My impression has always been that they are the Ryobi of Australia. Nice looking stuff at good prices, but lacking in true quality.
    concur......

Triton Service

I had a Triton router and it worked great, when it worked. I understand things happen, it is a mechanical device, but when I figured out the hoops I had to jump through to get it serviced...ship it to NJ wait 3-4 weeks, ship it back...forget it. I went out and purchased the Milwaukee 3-1/4 HP router and never looked back. I think it is a better router all around and there are at least 8 service centers within a 20 minute drive of my shop.

Just my two cents.

I realise this thread is 12 years old, but thought I'd add we have two Triton Mk3 sawbenches. I've had one since 1986. It's been a wonderful workshjose. The other one is set up so I can have two fences at set widths, without needing to change them. 9-1/4" saws in both of them.
    I bought two more to set up as inverted router tables. I really like the knee-kick off switch. One of them has a permanent bearing edge trimming cutter.
    Then I ended up making my own router table as I needed a hole that could take a 3" diameter cutter...

(Over here I've considered any Ryobi tools made since the later 1980s to be junk, but pre 1986 Ryobi tools I'm still using believe it or not! The belt sander just won't die! Ryobe since 2000 - I won't even touch it if offered for free. We've had too many bad problems, and service problems, dishonouring warranty on 2 month old equipment that falls apart...)
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Blog Entries
    I have a Triton Air Supplied Respirator that I really like but the ni-cad batteries gave out. Triton discontinued the item and offers no parts or support. So for myself, I would never buy a Triton product simply because they don't support their stuff if the wind direction changes and they want to go another direction. Other brands at least carry parts for a while.

I should add that, with the kind help of the Creekers out there, I converted my Triton from internal ni-cads to run on Milwaukee M-12 batteries that can be easily replaced. I found a dock for the M-12 on Etsy. Some guy is 3D printing them. So now I can run the respirator all day if I want and have enough batteries to cycle through. I haven't tested it to see how long a battery pack lasts.

Adding to this necrothread........
    I bought their knockoff of the Tormek sharpener. It broke the third time I sharpened a blade. But Triton took excellent care of me and promptly replaced it with no questions asked.

I used it for another 2 weekends after they replaced it, concluded that I absolutely hated that tool (did not like its performance) and returned it to the seller for a full refund. I'm honestly not sure I'd buy another Triton tool, though their customer service was so good I wouldn't rule them out.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-13-2020 at 4:30 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”