Thread: Any Bird carvers out there????

Any Bird carvers out there????

I am rather new to Sawmill Creek, But I have not seen any thing about bird carving. Are thee any bird carvers out there???

You should post some of your pictures, Dad.

I haven't tried birds yet, I'm rather new to carving. However, I'd love to see some of your work, if you don't mind sharing. I've seen some really impressive bird carvings, and they are way out of my league. Sort of interested, though--Baltimore Orioles have started showing up here in NH, last summer I guess. Prior to that, had never seen one. Ever since they showed up, I've been looking a lot more, and I've noticed a lot more other species than I was aware of around here. I guess that got me looking at bird carvings, too.

I've heard of people carving wood, but BIRDS?!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

turkey?..........we get back to the dock with 200 lbs of tuna and the mate says to me..."you're supposed to be so good at carving....lets see".

in all seriousness i like bird carvings and my wife is a bird brain (20 feeders)....would love to see some

i had suggested to a gentleman who makes coffee scoops to make the handles in shapes of animals, or gothic, or anything but the regular straight handles... i hope you find a way to carve birds and take pics and show us!!!! they could add beauty to other things such as bowls and tops of armoars (spelled right?) wooden fence posts...good luck...

My Dad must be taking one of his three day naps. Here's a link to some pics of various things he's carved. The pictures really don't do them justice, you have to really get close to appreciate the detail.

www.fandfwoodcarving.com/carvings.htm

That's some stunning work. I'm years away from anything like that, I'm afraid. I'll tell you this, though--had a lousy day that never seemed to end, thought I'd check out the boards before I got some carving in, and saw those pictures. Turned my day right around. It's amazing what is possible with some wood, sharp tools, and imagination. Not for me, of course, but I love seeing other people's work. The cardinal is fantastic.

I hope John will wake-up and comment his carving. My favorite one is the old mountain man. I like the expression and the choice of woods which contribute to the expression.