Thread: Mantel Clock

Mantel Clock

This is the fourth mantel clock of this design I've made. This one is for the LOML. She was starting to get a bit cranky, seeing these leave the shop, without having one on her own mantel.

This one is a mix of QSWO and figured crotch walnut. I was hoping for a stronger contrast between the white oak and walnut, but it turned out ok. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have used a walnut gel stain. My wife was thrilled with it, and it now resides right in the center of the mantel!

Thanks for looking!

- Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Nice Keith...real nice.

Pools open,eh?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Keith, I don't blame her for getting cranky...I would too if my hubby made those for others but not for me. It's beautiful. Several years ago he built a jewelry box for me, and ended up building two more for others. They saw mine and wanted their own!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Nice Keith...real nice.

Pools open,eh?
    Thanks, Glenn!

Yeah, the kids hit the water for the first time last weekend, 70 degree water be damned!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Keith, I don't blame her for getting cranky...I would too if my hubby made those for others but not for me. It's beautiful. Several years ago he built a jewelry box for me, and ended up building two more for others. They saw mine and wanted their own!!
    That seems to be happening quite a bit for me lately! I'd like to move into some larger pieces, but my Mom/MIL/Wife/Aunts keep seeing the smaller items I'm making, and saying, "...oooohh, it's beautiful! I'd LOVE one!"

How can I turn them down?

- Keith
    Last edited by Keith Starosta; 05-28-2008 at 5:52 PM.
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Keith

Nice job on the mantel clock. I like the suttle contrast between the QSWO and walnut.

You are a wise man to give this one to your wife....

Very Nice! I almost thought the oak was zebrawood at first.

ALWAYS take care of the primary customer, Kieth!! Always. (Nice work, by the way... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ALWAYS take care of the primary customer, Kieth!! Always. (Nice work, by the way... )

Thanks, Jim. I'm learning that the hard way!!

- Keith

Very nice work Keith. Did you have templates or anything to help this one go more quickly than the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Very nice work Keith. Did you have templates or anything to help this one go more quickly than the last one?
    Thanks, Jeremy. I was just telling my wife that I need to really develop a quicker way to do these, since there are about four more on this years Christmas list! They go pretty quickly as it is, but I can still streamline the process even more. These are all straight cuts, with a bit of milling after the fact. I'm not too sure how many jigs I would be able to incorporate...

- Keith

Looks great Keith. You've really been cranking out the projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    I'd like to move into some larger pieces, but my Mom/MIL/Wife/Aunts keep seeing the smaller items I'm making, and saying, "...oooohh, it's beautiful! I'd LOVE one!"
    It might just mean you have to make multiple bigger projects. I remodeled our bathroom--mom and dad wanted theirs done. I built my daughter a bookshelf--mom wanted one.

Nice job Keith. I've been saying for a couple years I am going to pick one thing and make a batch of them for gifts... still saying that too.
    Interesting piecework railing on the deck there...

Greg