Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does the creek have license plates?

does the creek have license plates?

does the creek have license plates?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-08-2014 at 7:33 PM.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis,

Do you mean automobile license plates? If so I haven't made any yet but it is certainly possible.

Keith,

That would likely depend on the state. I doubt, for example, that CT would allow you to make SMC vanity plates for use on CT cars ... unless
    I'm missing the point of this post.

Rob

Do you mean liscense plate frames? That sounds even better.

I think more then a few states would frown on (6 letters/numbers in MO):

S CREEK

like the ones to put on the front of the car, that dont mean anything official,

Folk, PA only uses official plates on the rear of the vehicle, unlike many states where they are front and back. A lot of folks like to tout their favorite sports team and other things with a front plate like Curtis asks about. I'm just mentioning this for context given the differences between each state in this respect.

It is possible for some organizations to get "official" vanity plates in many states, but they are typically non-profits/universities and the cost and commitment is high. But since many states also allow one to request a particular vanity "number" (alphanumeric up to 7 characters typically) one could construct something with "SMC" in it that is not already duplicated in that state.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-30-2008 at 7:38 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Folk, PA only uses official plates on the rear of the vehicle, unlike many states where they are front and back. A lot of folks like to tout their favorite sports team and other things with a front plate like Curtis asks about. I'm just mentioning this for context given the differences between each state in this respect.

It is possible for some organizations to get "official" vanity plates in many states, but they are typically non-profits/universities and the cost and commitment is high. But since many states also allow one to request a particular vanity "number" (alphanumeric up to 7 characters typically) one could construct something with "SMC" in it that is not already duplicated in that state.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    North Carolina and Kentucky are another two 'single rear plate' states, Ohio requires state issue front and rear as does Texas and California. Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Virtually all states have laws about obscuring, but a normal vanity/hobby/dealer frame surround is almost always legal unless it obscures the tag number in some way.

If there was to be a SMC item, I'd think a frame would be the most universally appealing, my car for instance having been purchased in NC and moved to KY, doesn't even have a front license plate bracket.

That said, I'd gladly put a SMC frame around mine.

i didnt know that there where states that require 2 sorry for the confusion. still a smc plate would be neat, then you could hang it in your shop, or hang it from your mailbox if you are so inclined

Mike, I agree that a frame would have the most universal appeal since it could be used almost any place that uses US-sized license plates and allows the frames.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keith, I'm hoping you aren't doing anything that would lead to you making "Official" license plates!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

To all,
    Plastic licence plate frames with artwork silk screened on, in quantities of 1000, are available for less than a dollar from places that offer personalized pens, beer cozies, etc.
    Our bicycle club gave them out at our ride a few years ago, and our limit for the rider gift is one dollar. My wife is the publicity chair for the ride and selects the gift each year.
    What would you have them say?
    The bike club had the "my other car is a bicycle" on the top and "clinton river riders" on the bottom, with bicycles running down the sides.

How about "my other saw is a Wenzloff!" on top, and "Sawmill Creekers Rule!" on the bottom, with handtools down the sides. (can you tell I am a neanderthal? - Grin!)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I do a little vanity plate casting. Thats what we call the front plate in a state that doesn't require 2. The hard part is the pattern making and now getting scrap.

http://public.fotki.com/petersenj20/...icture006.html
    Unpainted
    http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/b/74_244/10_76/Plate.jpg

Last edited by Joe Petersen; 05-30-2008 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Second picture didn't add
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

gotta have a vortex plate

State issued license plates are required on both the front and rear of vehicles in appx 1/2 of the 50 states. Virginia and Texas are the only two Southern states that require front and rear plates. Most NE states do require two plates with a couple of exceptions. In the remainder of the country it's sort of a hodge podge! For example, Indiana and Michigan don't require two plates while Ohio and Illinois do.

I know this because we've been making personalized license vanity license plates (also known as custom auto tags) and personalized license plate frames or holders for years. We have a website where we sell our products but I'm not sure if I would be in violation of TOS if I posted the link here. A moderator might want to advise me of that.

We NEVER make plates or frames that would violate anyone's copyright. For example, I wouldn't be able to make SMC plates or frames without the express written permission of the owner of the copyright. I use that just as an example. Another example.....Ocassionally I get requests to make a plate with someone's name or two names and a Disney character. We're not licensed to sell Disney products so I don't make those plates.

I wanted to chime in with a bit of info on the issue of vanity license plates and frames since that's something I know a little bit about.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"