Thread: Braille method with laser

Braille method with laser

I have always done Braille with my mechanical engraver until today.

Here is the method I used and it worked great. First, I used my Vision Pro software to create the braille. I then, exported it as an image (tiff). Next I imported it into Corel. Zoomed in on the bitmap and then created a .0621 circle, which I placed one over each braille dot. Once I finished that step, I deleted the bitmap and grouped the dots together. I filled them with black so they would raster. ( I have the license to do Accent Systems raster ball braille and their rasters are .062 and friction fit when using the engraving cutter for same)

Once I got it placed on the acrylic sign plate, I sent to the laser as a raster, 25 speed, 100 power and ran it twice. The .0621 diameter is dead perfect for the friction fit. Now mind you, it took me a couple of tries to get this worked out but I'm glad I did. Saves having to do the plate on the Vision and do a second setup.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry, you can just use the braille font and not have to redraw it all. That'll save you some time (possibly). I don't have the friction fit balls, just the acrylic ones, so I have to glue them in (which is less than ideal, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty painless).

Only thing you do need is to use the Vision system to get the Grade II conversion. Once you have that, you can fairly easily use the braille font and get it to work fairly easy.

Also, different materials cut different- way different. Softer plastics will bellmouth if you hit them with too much power, so you may have to use more passes, less power for that type of stuff. Some stuff cuts nice and clean. It's all trial and error, but sounds like you're on the right track. Glad you tried it and shared the results.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott:
    No big deal to "redraw" in Corel, once I have it, I have it. You know, common stuff like "MEN", "WOMEN" etc. The translation with the Vision software, at least to me, is the best method. I am pretty confident that what it returns is correct.

Your probably right about different plastics. I used cast acrylic for this and it worked fine. That's probably my norm.

These little raster balls are also acrylic. I'm sure solvent cement would work on them also, but I know for sure the friction fit is faster. If I had a large quantity to do, I would purchase Accent's insertion tool. I have their little vacuum pick up thing now, and do them one at a time. The rasters from Accent meet the ADA spec also, I'm not sure about other acrylic balls. Do you?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Oh, don't get me started on the raster ball spec debate. Okay, you got me started. The ball diameter is a crock of _________. If, and I do mean IF it all mattered like some would want you to believe it does, then the photopolymer process would not be THE industry standard for creating braille on signs for the majority of all office signs in every government agency as well as public office building.

Photopolymer creates a trapezoid shape. You create a mask that's a dot and light blasts the surface. When it does, it exposes the core material to light. Imagine holding a solid color disc about 1 foot off the ground and having the sun hit it. The shape of the shadow from the disc to where it meets the ground would be the shape of the "dome".

Photopolymer works the same way. It's not possible to create a "dome" with a photopolymer machine, but if you search the internet (and probably visit the Department of Justice where ADA standards are created and enforced), you'll find that process being used.

So I don't buy into the hype of how "perfect" this dome needs to be.

Solvent glue is a no-no. It discolors the core material around where the ball was inserted and it'll leave stains you can't remove (in my experience with it).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Aaron Koehl is scheduled to have his new Grade 2 Braille module for Corel Draw ready to go on Wednesday. His new Braille Interpreter module is a DLL and will replace the script that he did for me several months ago. He has written an all new interpreter that will make raster Braille a snap.

Aaron will have a Manufacturers Forum here for those who purchase his software and to provide tech support and upgrades.

Watch for his announcement

That sounds great Keith! I'll be checking in on that one.

Scott..I'm not real sure that the dome size and all that garbage means anything to a blind person. Being a sighted person, I can only go by what I read with my good (but failing as I get older eyes). So, in practicality I think it's a moot point. It gives the folks that make these things into government regulations something to discuss at the taxpayer funded meetings they go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Aaron Koehl is scheduled to have his new Grade 2 Braille module for Corel Draw ready to go on Wednesday. His new Braille Interpreter module is a DLL and will replace the script that he did for me several months ago. He has written an all new interpreter that will make raster Braille a snap.

Aaron will have a Manufacturers Forum here for those who purchase his software and to provide tech support and upgrades.

Watch for his announcement

UPDATE: My grade 2 braille translator is very nearly complete-- I have decided to
    rework a small section of it so it will be a few more days, but stay tuned!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

8. ADA substrate

Larry what kind of acrylic are you using? (Type/Thickness?) I am trying to get my laser to make ADA signage and have have a lot of trouble getting them to stick. My company uses Rowmark ADA Alternative for the substrate, but if I can find something else to use that would be very helpful.