Thread: Deck stain

Deck stain

Anybody got any idea the best deck stain made? I have been using Sherwin-Williams. It used to be Cuprinol. Then they changed it to something else and then something else. Now it seems like I don't even get a year out of it. Anybody got a favorite?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich -

Try this, its spendy but worth it.

www.sikkens.com

Too slippery. Also sounds too labor intensive with two and three coats. Thanks anyway.

Try this stuff. I haven't tried it as my deck is now composite material.

soy based stain
    Lee Schierer
    Captain USNR(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sikkens is supposed to be good.

I've had good luck with Cabot Australian Timber Oil. We get so much direct sun on the deck though that I still need to do it every other year ("need"....but I usually only do it every 3rd). At some point, the mohogany is coming off and some sort of composite is going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
    Anybody got any idea the best deck stain made? I have been using Sherwin-Williams. It used to be Cuprinol. Then they changed it to something else and then something else. Now it seems like I don't even get a year out of it. Anybody got a favorite?

Thanks,

Rich
    AFAIK, the Cuprinol product is still sold by Sherwin, but under a different label. They have several stain formulations, and I think the Cuprinol eventually became DeckScapes, but I could be wrong. I've always heard good things about Cabot stains, but have no experience with them. Come to think of it, I haven't done many decks in recent years with semi-transparent stains. Too bad, too, because those usually only last a couple of years (job security... )

If you're looking to do a solid-color stain, you really should strip off everything that's there and sand before applying a couple coats of a solid-color deck stain that's rated for foot traffic. (Stripping wouldn't be bad for a build-up of semi-transparent stains, either). There are several good deck strippers out there. From what I can tell, the main ingredient that works is sodium hydroxide.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore