Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO - Flag and Certificate Display Case

VIDEO - Flag and Certificate Display Case

Just in time for Memorial day…

I made a display case for my father-in-law that holds an American flag and certificate. The flag and certificate were presented to him by an active Navy Seal serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The certificate shows the date the flag was flown over Camp Patton in Fallujah.

This was quite an honor for my father-in-law, and the flag and certificate deserved a special case to preserve and protect them.

Here’s a link to the video on how the case was made:
    http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/index.htm?/flagdisplaycase/fldsp_google_high.htm

Link to the Picture Gallery:
    http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/index.htm?/flagdisplaycase/index.html

Best Regards,
    John Nixon – www.EagleLakeWoodworking.com
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

John,

Great project in honor of your Father in Law and of our Flag. Thanks for sharing both the pictures and the video showing us how you made the display case.

Best Regards,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Beautifully done project. Great video, especially the editing. Look out, Norm!

This is a beautiful project and a wonderful tribute for your FIL. The video was very well done and the end result worthy of praise.

However....I cringed when I saw the rings you were wearing as you work in your shop, particularly that large pinkie ring. IMHO, you should probably remove the jewelry before you start working around power tools. Getting one of those caught on something moving could result in the loss of a finger.

Just my .02.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    John,

Great project in honor of your Father in Law and of our Flag. Thanks for sharing both the pictures and the video showing us how you made the display case.

Best Regards,
    Thanks for watching the video Steve; I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    Beautifully done project. Great video, especially the editing. Look out, Norm!
    Norm's gotta retire someday, doesn't he?
    I've got a lot to learn before I could fill those shoes. I'm having fun on my journey though. I'm glad I could share something entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    This is a beautiful project and a wonderful tribute for your FIL. The video was very well done and the end result worthy of praise.

However....I cringed when I saw the rings you were wearing as you work in your shop, particularly that large pinkie ring. IMHO, you should probably remove the jewelry before you start working around power tools. Getting one of those caught on something moving could result in the loss of a finger.

Just my .02.
    Thanks for watching the video Nancy; I appreciate your compliments and feedback. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of wearing rings while woodworking. I have thought about it a lot after it was brought to my attention a while ago. I beleive their was even a survey here (or perhaps another forum), where the results showed an overwhelming majority of woodworkers that wore rings did not remove them prior to working in the shop. (I'm not saying that makes it right). For now, I'll stick with the practice that my fingers stay clear of the blade or bit, rings or no rings.

Thanks again.
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Flag

That is a fantastic video,I have bookmark your website for future video's.Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    That is a fantastic video,I have bookmark your website for future video's.Great job!!
    Thank you kindly Carroll!
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

John, it's beautiful, just like the rest of your work. I can't watch the video now, as I'm at work (on a "smoke break", hehehe) but I'll surely check it out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    John, it's beautiful, just like the rest of your work. I can't watch the video now, as I'm at work (on a "smoke break", hehehe) but I'll surely check it out later.
    Hey Jeremy. Thanks man...I hope you like the video. How's your Mission Bedroom set coming?
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Blog Entries
    John,
    That is superb work!. However, I am curious about the size of the flag display case. It looks too small to hold a flag used for a casket. We have one that was used on my FIL's casket. We were told it had flown over the capital in Washington D.C. I am sure it would not fit into your case. what size is you FIL's flag?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Trying to watch video

I know I must be doing something wrong. When I click on the little arrow at the bottom of the video screen (which is black with the word buffering at the top), it starts, then stops for 10 or 15 secs., then starts again for about five secs., then stops again, etc, etc., etc.... What the heck am I doing wrong here? I really don't have the patience to watch it that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I know I must be doing something wrong. When I click on the little arrow at the bottom of the video screen (which is black with the word buffering at the top), it starts, then stops for 10 or 15 secs., then starts again for about five secs., then stops again, etc, etc., etc.... What the heck am I doing wrong here? I really don't have the patience to watch it that way.
    This is probably due to the download speed of your internet connection. Do you have cable or DSL? If so there is probably something you can do, it just will take a bit of tweeking on your part. The 1st place I would start is go to a site that can test your download and upload speed. DSLreports is a good one, but there are many others.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    John,
    That is superb work!. However, I am curious about the size of the flag display case. It looks too small to hold a flag used for a casket. We have one that was used on my FIL's casket. We were told it had flown over the capital in Washington D.C. I am sure it would not fit into your case. what size is you FIL's flag?
    Hi Larry. Thanks for checking out my video!

As far as I know, there are three basic flag sizes (in feet):
    1.) 3 x 5 (standard size). This is what I had.
    2.) 4 x 6 (not as common, but used when something larger than 3 x 5 is desired.
    3.) 5 x 9.5 (burial or casket size)

Some variance can occur in folding, but here is the general size (inside dimensions) for a case for folded flags 1 and 3.

#1 - 13 3/8 base, 6 3/4 high, 9 1/2 along the side.

#3 - 22 base, 11 high, 15 5/8 along the side.

I hope this helps...
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about that Vince, it must be traffic related or your connection speed. I agree, that can be frustrating.

There is an option to download the video before watching it. If you follow the link below, you can view the video directly from Google Video, and then use the link in the upper right titled "Download Video - iPod, PSP". This will give you an MP4 file that you can watch locally in Quicktime or other compatible MP4 player.

Video on Google: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19505104&hl=en
    John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Just finished the second nightstand. Also, I don't know if it is Mission or not. The plans say "Craftsman," which seem to have lots of corbels but fewer vertical slats.

I'm procrastinating on starting the bed. For one thing, the nightstands are so damned big that there's no longer room for two desks in our room, so the desk might be next priority. For another thing, I'm a little scared to start on it; such long boards to shape in such a small space! (my shop's a one-car garage, shared with two motorcycles!) Eventually, Kate will threaten to buy (*gasp*) some crappily-made bed and I'll cave in. Also, I'm about ready to work on something small, like Norm's jewelry chest or another canted wall shelf.

Don't be a stranger!

Has everyone seen John's other work? Damn good for a young buck, I must say. Oftentimes, us young bucks aren't patient enough to do really top notch work. Also, the product photography is excellent too. If I weren't a woodworker myself, I'd buy his stuff.