Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there no decency any more?

is there no decency any more?

is ther no decency any more? my family has a cabin up in the pocono mountians in PA, my grand parents bought it 46 years ago. just a small 20x20 or 20x30 something like that. my grand parents gave it to us 2 years ago because the drive was becoming a hassle for them, the place was starting to fall apart, the building needed siding because it still had the original paper fiberboard paneling. the roof leaked. it needed a new sercive. so last summer we fixed it up. new sidding, new roof ( i had to tear the old one off, the tar and patches were 1.5 inches thick!) new service, cleaned out some of the stuff under it. but because this is a cabin, theres not much in it, it still has a black and white tv with rabbit ears and no remote. nothing in the building, or so we thought. 46 years and no one had ever bothered the place. this is in one of those cabin communities where some people have started to live in instead of just vacation. quite place. well, my uncle took my cousins up last night, and they found the metal door busted, not just knoked off, actually twisted and bent, we enven used 4inch screws to put it on. they had broken in, and stolen the only thing worth value, the pellet stove, then went under the house and cut the chains off the canoe, and then broke the doors off the metal shed, (we kinda wish we couldve seen their faces when they got into the cabin and shed and saw there was really nothing there!). imagine how much noise it would take to bust a metal door, break open a metal shed, and then get both taken away,. no one up there even noticed! there are people who are there all the time, the cabins are only 20-50 ft apart, and no one noticed!. is there no decency left? that some one could just ignore a breakin? that someone could be dumb enough to break into a cabin?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I guess it's that people don't want to "get involved" any more with anyting outside of their very own living quarters. If I had been living next door to your cabin.? There just might be two chained up and bleeding robbers sitting on your front porch.

I'm sorry to hear of such a problem. Nobody seems to care any more Curtis.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That's just sad. There is plenty of decency out there, but so much more indecency. Don't miss the good because of all the bad.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

well, just got a call from my uncle, he said that when he called the police last night the neighbors came out to see what was going on, one of the people up the street said that the person who was stealling stuff was the person who lives across the street, they had caught him in their house 4 weeks earlier,

i agrre with you dennis, if i saw something happening i would do somethin about it, you cant rob places anymore if you have no fingers to open things

question though, what could you do with a registered canoe and a pellet stove, wouldnt some one check the numbers on them somewhere along the line? i hope we get the canoe back and that they didnt scrap it

In Arkansas that is how "hunting accidents" happen

i swear officer, i thought a polar bear was stealin my canoe!

It would be nice to create a community somewhere of people who aren't lowlife, good for nothing, thieving scum.

It's too bad it's your neighbor. I'd be surprised if he spends more than a night or 2 in jail. After that he'll be back across the road and angry at you. Not a nice situation

well, the neighbors who caught him pressed charges and he goes to court next month, or thats what i was told anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    In Arkansas that is how "hunting accidents" happen
    Uh-Hu......sho'nuff....
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    well, the neighbors who caught him pressed charges and he goes to court next month, or thats what i was told anyway
    May he get the punishment he deserves.
    Dennis -

I'm sorry you were robbed, Curtis. Unfortunately, thievery goes back to the beginning of time. In fact, while it may seem like things are bad now, take a close look at almost any point in history and things were worse. I think we tend to look at the past through a Leave it to Beaver filter.

Of course, I'm glad Colorado has a "Make My Day" law for scumbags who dare to invade an occupied residence.

I'm very sorry you got robbed. It's not nice and it definitely isn't decent. I feel for you, having had a lot of my prized possesions stolen. Well pretty well all of them, in fact.

So, in the NWO, if you can't protect it, it isn't yours. This is a fact of life. It always has been, really, but in the UK and the US it's been possible for a litle while to ignore that and trust people. The simple and absolutely basic fact is that people will look after their own interests first; those of their family/peer group/gang/whatever second and then -if it's affordable- be nice to the rest of humanity. The tighter things get, the less resources any one person can spend on being nice to random people.
    And that's the decent people who want to be nice.

is it possible to scrap a pellet stove for cast iron? we couldnt figure out what you would do with it

^^ If the thief was a meth-head, or any other type of addict, he wasn't using logic while comitting his crime. He likely just carried out what he thought might possibly bring some cash somehow; which would lead to another hit or fix.

First sorry about the cabin, second, man could I tell you stories.

Anyway, this is what I believe from many years of dealing with the worst people and/or good people at the worst times.

People in general are good. Most people just want to do their thing and be left alone. We just don't get to see them, since they are doing their thing and being left alone.

Bad things happen to good people all the time. Just because there isn't a reason I can see doesn't mean there isn't. I am not very religious but I seriously hope this isn't all there is.

Cosmic justice, Karma or Yin-Yang but whatever you call it sooner or later they get their own. I've seen it, heck I have even been the cause of it. Those are good days.

Our justice system may suck bad sometimes but it is still miles ahead of every other one out there. With very very few exceptions the people that make that system run are good solid people.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"