Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your tool rack

Show me your tool rack

I built a tool rack a few months ago. While I did a lot of lay out and measuring, the rack was not successful. The angle the tools were held was too shallow so they were prone to fall over knocking all the other tools off the rack. First time was funny. Second time, not. The tools are too close together so now I have to alternate space them.

I found that I like to have everything on the rack -- tools, finishing supplies, measuring devices, rags, knockout bars, centers. But the current rack doesn't have that much space. Probably means adding a shelf.

What does your's look like?

Thanks,
    Burt

Burt heres a shot of mine, Custom made metal table over $99 special tool cart 5 drawer from the Borg. Had a shelf for screws, convert to spindle tool holder. My bowl gouges, ect are on the shelving unit. Sandpaper is now held in large file box. All my face plates, tool rests, drill's, morse tapers, Beal buffing system, ect... are stored in the tool box. The new PM has its own tool tray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm giving this a try without knowing what success I'll have posting the pictures. This rack is on a lazy susan bearing and is from plans I got from turning friend Rob Nelson.

Cyril,
    Some good ideas there. Certainly, no tip over.

Bruce,
    While your tools seem a bit far from the lathe, I realized that there is no special reason for them to be close. It's not like one is changing tools every 15 seconds or so.

Burt

Burt they are right next to my PM3520b, my guest might have to reach but I don't. Being 6'7" I have long arms. I like the lazy susan idea, a couple of friends have that set up and love it. The Delta/Rockwell lathe isn't getting used very much any more.

Mine's similar to the lazy susan, but even lazier. I put the PVC cutoffs in a bucket -- just had to expand into a second bucket this month. The bucket sits on the floor below the sharpener, where I'm reminded to touch up the edge before putting them away. Shavings in the bottom of the bucket helps cushion the "whack" when you drop them in.

-jon-

Here is mine. It is mounted on wheels so I can put it where I need it. I do a bit of outboard turning on my lathe, and it helps to put the tools where I need them. My son had to get into the picture.
    Jack

Jack,
    Does you rack get buried with shavings? Mine's on the wall and it gets covered.

Burt

Tool Rack

Here's a rack I made for my tools.

May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Burt,
    I can roll it out of the path of most of the shavings. Most of the shavings that do land on it fall off, the rest are blown off with a air hose that is usally near the lathe or hanging on the tool rack. I don't know how one would turn a HF without air to blow it out.
    Jack

Here's mine.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I don't own enough lathe tools to warrant an entire rack yet... My craftsman tool chest is right next to my lathe and I have one drawer just for these tools.

I was using another drawer for chucks and things like that but it got nuts after a while. I just bought a tackle box the other night with 4 internal/removable organizer drawers. I keep bushings, wax bars, mandrel parts, and drill chuck like stuff in there.

Here's a picture of mine

Don't have all the tools up because they'd just fall off. I use 2 shields - one for turning and the other for finishing (splat).
    tool_rack.jpg

Blog Entries
    Because my shop is so small I built this pocket system. It was a concern by someone that the magnets would cause issues but a year later no issues what so ever. I now have more tools so it's just about time to expand again.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Because my shop is so small I built this pocket system. It was a concern by someone that the magnets would cause issues but a year later no issues what so ever. I now have more tools so it's just about time to expand again.
    Overtime wouldn't the metal have it's own magnetic charge? I think the only time I would be worried about that would be when sharpening. Or would that not matter either?