Thread: Cherry Salad Bowl

Cherry Salad Bowl

Hi Everyone,
    The pictures below show a cherry salad bowl I just completed last night. The wood came from a large wild cherry ("Choke Cherry" I believe) tree Bill Grumbine and I harvested back in the Fall of 2002. Since this bowl was rather large, the roughed out blank was allowed to dry for more than a year. It's been sitting in my shop for all that time waiting for me to get the chance to work on it.

The bowl measures 13" diameter x 4 1/2" high with a 3 1/4" diameter base. The wall thickness is approximately 1/2".

I decided to dress up the rather utilitarian profile with some beads along the rim. At first I was going to add Inlace. But, reasoning that sometimes "less is more", decided against it in favor of the beads. The base also features a cove and bead in keeping with the motif of the rim. The sap lines running along the inside give the piece a nice bit of "distraction" and in my opinion seem to add to the overall feel of the bowl. But like the dark spot on the outside, these too will fade over time. That's is the reason I went with the more tactile, and lasting bead decoration.

After final turning, the bowl was sanded to 220 grit, then wet sanded to 2000 grit. The finish is Watco's Danish Oil (natural color), which was recommended to me again, by Bill Grumbine. I had never had the opportunity to use this finish before and was very impressed with the results on this piece of Cherry. It brought out the grain better than the Urethane Oil I was previously using. I gave this bowl several coats over a period of days and allowed each to dry before buffing in between coats with 0000 steel wool. The final step was buffing with a Beall Buffing System.

If you look back a couple of days ago, you will recognize this bowl as the same one in which I was asking about methods for coloring the cherry so to remove the dark spot. The majority of you felt that attempting to color the wood to obscure the spot was not necessary. The wood itself would darken over time as it aged. Far be it from to to disagree with a logical course of action that requires me to do nothing! So here it is, the way Nature intended. Until the same Nature causes the wood to mellow and darken.

Thanks for viewing
    See ya around,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

What a terrific bowl!

I happen to have a bowl of similar size at work with me today. While I like my bowl I find your's to be much nicer.

Your bowl is fuller and I think that is what I prefer to my bowl. That and the splendid wood you have.

I like beads on a bowl but I usually shy away from putting beads on the rim. Something about dust settling in the beads... However seeing these beads on the rim of your bowl I am rethinking my position.

Thanks for sharing your bowl.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Nice!

Dom,

Really nice bowl. I think that you did the right thing in leaving it natural (i.e. not staining to blend the sapwood). I also lke the detail you did on the rim. Thanks for showing it.

-- Mark

Dominic,

Absolutely stunning.... thanks for sharing. Dave.

How did you draw the person's profile facing left on the inside of the bowl?

Looks very nice!

Robert,

I thought the very same thing when I looked at it. Reminded me of a side profile of a past US president (Lincoln? Washington?)!

Then I looked some more and it reminded me of the blast cloud from Mt. St. Helens in 1980!

Kinda like looking at the clouds! Fun!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Yes, that bowl turned out great, Dominic. I'm glad you left the color alone as discussed on WoW, too. It's beautiful in it's natural feathers and will only get nicer with time!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the compliments everyone

Thanks everyone!
    Dominic Greco

Dominic.

Beautiful job on the bowl and the finish. I may have to give turning a try some day.

John

Dominic: Nice, really beautiful bowl. Good eye you have. -Steve

11. Dominic,

That is one gorgeous bowl! It just begs to be held. I have also turned choke-cherry and agree with everyone else that it just looks so much better the way it is. Great job!

Matt

12. Cherry Salad Bowl

Dominic,

That is one gorgeous bowl! It just begs to be held. I have also turned choke-cherry and agree with everyone else that it just looks so much better the way it is. Great job!

Matt

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    Nice form, great finnish. Would think twice on the beads for a salad bowl, good place to store up some gearms. Keep up the pics of your work.

Jim from Idyllwild CA