Thread: Harle Davidson License

Unhappy Harle Davidson License

Well, thought I would share my HD experience. I applied for a license to make and sell Harley Davidson items such as mirrors, Christmas ornament and such.
    They said no Hallmark is already doing this. I tried to state that this was a local thing for the HD rally we have here twice a year, but no. I guess it's just another way of keeping the little man down. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

You could always make items in the style of HD. You know, similar wingy shapes and that sort of thing without actually using the words or the exact shape. Or you could go freestyle and just make items that fit on HDs but don't have the logo on.

The harley logo is dead boring anyway. I'm sure you can do a lot more with biker-friendly graphics...skulls, dragons, panthers...stuff that looks cool on bikes.

Have you thought about approaching Honda, Kawa, Yamaha, etc about doing the same thing for them? Would be cool to have the rights to do stuff for "American Chopper".
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.

Get in touch with some local riding clubs. They can get generic HD stuff from anywhere. Offering them stuff with their club logo on it really turns their cranks. Just be careful which clubs you approach.

ETA: Try other than motorcycle clubs, too. Off-road clubs, dirt bike clubs, ATV clubs, etc...
    Last edited by Vicky Orsini; 05-17-2008 at 2:01 PM.
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Hallmark? Doing Harley Davidson!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

i agree...daren has a good option there... but i was laughing so hard when i read that HALLMARK is doing HD...geez hahahaha...

I wonder if these ebay items are authorized by HD? Item number 260239446399
    Skip

WK Laser LC6090 80w - Shopsabre 4896 CNC Router

Hallmark? Doing Harley Davidson!
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    We all got lowriders
    And we're off for a brew

Thanks all

Ya, I thought that was funny to. Must be all about the big bucks. Great ideas, thank you to all. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

10. Could always try contacting Hallmark for a sublicense. If it is for a venue/event they are not covering anyway, there may be a possibility they would be interested so they could at least generate some kind of revenue. If permitted many licensing entities sublicense quite often, requiring each sublicensee to strictly adhere to the terms of the original agreement with the licensor (some of these entities don’t even have production facilities anymore, and only sublicense)

It's probably the logo I get asked for the most.. The closest I have been able get is the H.D. Owners club for various areas, the clubs have their own versions of that, and many other versions.. I have done stuff for most of the bike clubs in Ontario (the benign and the not-so-benign) and I have found the 'not-so-benign' are the best to deal with. They never give me any problems, they pay in cash, pick up on time, and have always been polite, and good customers.. Some companies are better than others.. I'm doing a 2' x 3' 6 panel mirror with the Stella Artois logo in the middle, and the customer got permission without a problem.. But he did have to promise it was being done for his collection, and NOT for resale..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it