Thread: Spindle Sanders

Spindle Sanders

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Delta BOSS 31-708 and the Delta BOSS SA-350? Other than the cosmetic appearance I can't see any difference from what the comparison spec's tell me at Toolseeker.com.

Also, why has this become a very well liked and preferred tool over other, less expensive brands such as Grizzly and, say, Ryobi. PLEASE, PLEASE, I would care NOT to have to hear a bunch of brand name bashing. I know that some people want to do nothing more than say that Ryobi is crap or that Grizzly is junk. Please keep these comments to your self and maybe relate real, significant reasons like materials used, motor longevity, parts availability, etc.

Thanks very much for any helpful light that can be shed on this.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 04-07-2004 at 12:08 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark,
    I don't think there is much difference between the two models. I believe one replaced the other as part of the product line marketing. As for it being liked, I think that is because it works well and is a good value. You can buy cheaper units, and much more expensive machines. Many of the cheaper units have non cast iron tables, that may not last as long. In general I would have more faith in a Delta sander then a lower priced machine from another company. Delta has excellent service and parts network, should you need something in the future. I also believe Delta has a better warranty. Lastly the BOSS also has very good dust collection, even without a dust collection system. The fan creates a downdraft that helps feed dust into the bag (even better with a dust collection system). I'm not a fan of Grizzly or Ryobi, and would pass on each of their lower price offerings, however Jet has a decent sander for about $100 more with a tilting table, and the Grizzly floor model in the $500 range seems to get good reviews. I have a BOSS and it works well, if I were to replace it and had extra cash, I would look for a Clayton or used MAX.

John

Mark...

I answered this somewhere else, but I'll repeat it here in case you don't see it.

I took a quick look at a couple of Delta sites, and I believe 31-708 comes with the 3/4" spindle sleeve only whereas the SA-350 comes with a complete set.

If the website is not clear on this, ask them before you buy.

gary

Delta rebranded it's smaller, home-shop oriented tools and changed the part numbers in the process. This is just one more example.

As to why this machine over some of the others? In two words...cast iron. And it works extremely well. The only benchtop OSS I'd consider over it would be the Jet because of the tilting table...a feature I could have used many times. BTW, I own the BOSS and it's a fine machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark, its a combination of price and value. It's got a cast iron table and a quiet, powerful motor. The newer models have plastic cases, but the older one was sheet steel and feels quite substantial. I don't often need a spindle sander, so I didn't consider a more expensive one. I did look at the Jet, but didn't think the tilting table was worth the price for my use. I haven't needed to tilt the table yet so I think I made the right decision. Well, that and the fact that I bought it for less than a $100 at a Lowes close out.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    The newer models have plastic cases, but the older one was sheet steel and feels quite substantial.
    Must have been some time ago for the metal as my five-year old BOSS OSS has a plastic case!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark,

I can't speak for any particular brand but I recently purchased the Jet benchtop OSS because I needed the tilt capability. The 1/2 HP motor is smooth, quiet and very powerful. I just wish I had purchased an OSS ten years ago, they are fantastic machines and I have been using mine constantly for the last two months.

I will never use a sanding drum on a drill press again!!!

Thanks to all for the very informative replies. It was very enjoyable to read "real" objective replies. It sounds like for the occasional use the BOSS is the way to go. Thanks very much again.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.